“Needs a refurb”

Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Derby, United Kingdom
“Needs a refurb”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Nice entrance and bar areas but the rooms need a refurb. I stayed here this week and I had a decent room which was clean but looked a bit shabby in parts with chipped paintwork. It really needs someone to go around and take a serious look at it and tidy the place. It would not take a great deal of effort. The pool and grounds were nice and the food was decent. The service was poor though. It took 20 mins and I had to ask 3 times for a tea at breakfast and I wasn't the only one - not sure why this is so hard. Just get a big flask of hot water and some cups on a table and we can do it ourself. Room was very hot at night and I was lucky as I had a ceiling fan but some of my colleagues did not and they had a really bad nights sleep in their rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a girlie weekend away, and were very disappointed with the standard of the hotel accommodation. I had paid for a superior room (with an upgrade premium), but was very disappointed to find the only thing different was the room size. it was much bigger, but very shabby with miss-matched furniture. The bathroom had blackened areas around the tiling, the bath panel was coming away from the bath, there was no shaver socket, and the lighting was poor.. The bed blanket was dirty... a pity I did not notice this until after I had slept in it!! The view from the window was onto an area above the main pool/conservatory and was littered with cigarette ends and packets, old cable and general old building materials.
To add to our discomfort, the stag party who were also in the same hotel, spent till gone 3 am shouting and knocking on all the doors along the corridor.

On the plus side, the staff were very polite and professional and responded quickly to our complaints. We did get a small amount knocked off the bill for the state of the room not being up to scratch, and an apology for the disruption from the other guest ( who had obviously been spoken to by the management as the 2nd night was much quieter). But the hotel did not come up to the standard it was setting itself to and in my opinion , needed a complete re-furb.

The main meal we had on the evening of the second night was very good, in contrast. So not all bad!

Room Tip: Ask to see the rom first, when you arrive, complain if not happy, as there is not much they seem to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank carole d
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Went with 3 friends for a spa day. Staff in spa quite abrupt on our arrival. The treatments we booked were not all available due to a booking error so someone had to change to something else. Only 3 fluffy robes available so 4th person had a cotton one - none of them had belts so we had to hold them around ourselves all day. Sauna was not working. Pool was very cloudy and cold. No loungers in spa area to relax and read - there were some beds in the relaxation room but too dark to read. Damp towels on bed in treatment room. Changing rooms were appalling, a tiny narrow room where floor was soaking and covered in hair, the one and only shower was filthy by the 3.30pm and the sinks were left dirty and full of water. No facilities to sit and dry your hair and put make up on just one extremely old hairdryer that looked like it had been in use since the 1960s. Just not geared up at all to offer a spa package.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andovergirl2014

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just come back from a lovely time at this hotel. The staff on reception and in the restaurant were fantastic. The hotel is lovely and clean, our room was spotless. Bathroom was clean and there was plenty of storage. The room is warm, but there is a ceiling fan. Also reception are happy to provide fans if necessary.
The hotel is a short walk to the town & also to the beach, quite nice that the parking on site is free. A lot of hotels in Bournemouth charge for parking.
We had dinner Sunday night in the hotel restaurant, I couldn't fault it. The food was great and very reasonably priced.
There is a huge choice at breakfast, buffet style. Not just hot food but fruit, salad, cereals and yoghurts.
The pool area and garden is well maintained, and the spa looks great. I didn't have time to use it though, so I am going back in 6 weeks! :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night with my partner and young son. The hotel is an old building just a stones throw away from the town and the beach.
Facilities are very good with an indoor and outdoor (covered) swimming pools with spa treatments nice bar and restaurant.
The Hotel must do some good deals on the Spa treatments for groups because there was a lot of hen parties staying the same weekend as ourselves, but we all know Bournemouth is renowned for having groups of stag and hens.
Our room was very spacious big bed separate bathroom and toilet, nice and tidy only problem with the room was it had no air con, so it was quiet a hot nights sleep for the 3 of us, however it is an old building so there probably is no air con in any of the rooms, and we did stay in June.
For me the hotel can be a building site but if the staff are polite, friendly, approachable, attentive etc then i am happy. The only member of staff who gave me that was the receptionist, all the other staff bar, restaurant, cleaners were awful at giving any customer service which is why this review is only average because the Hallmark has everything to be a 5 star reviewed hotel. And because of this i wont be staying again because I feel that some members of staff have let down a lovely hotel with good facilities and the potential to be great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dezgo1
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I went to this hotle for my anniversarie it was amazing price the room was so nice and food was great so want to go back I have stayed in a few hotel and none of them was as good as this one for the price just wish I had time to use the Spa

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times when working in the Poole and Bournemouth area and whilst I have not had a really bad experience, I have never thought, "that was really good".

I have twice stayed on the upper most floor (not served by a lift), on other floors and also in the "annex" of the hotel. Whilst the rooms were adequately sized, the rooms in the annex area were more spacious and appear to better maintained - perhaps more recently refurbished.

The beds are quite soft which is not my preference. The air conditioning is very ineffective and I have often resorted to opening the windows to try and cool the rooms down. Unfortunately, the ceiling fans are often very loud when they are on the highest settings. All of my experiences have been in the cooler months of the year (Jan-May), and think the problem would only be worse in warmer months.

I have used the gym most occasions and this has a good selection of equipment given the size of the hotel. The pool often looks busy although I have never used it so cannot comment on temperature or ease of undertaking serious swimming.

Good points:
* Adequately sized rooms
* Decent sized pool, good selection of gym equipment
* Size of TV in rooms
* Good breakfast selection - I have never ordered anything off the menu

Bad points:
* Strong smell of chlorine from the pool when you enter the reception/bar/restaurant areas
* No alternative milk choices during breakfast
* Generally warm water available during breakfast
* Rooms too warm - I have only stayed in months of Jan-May

I have never eaten in the restaurant in the evening or used the bar during my stays. I would probably stay here again in the future if working in the area as it is relatively good value for money but I know what to expect now.

Room Tip: Rooms in annex appear larger
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business