“Air con please”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I'm actually sat in this hotel bar right now due to the suffocating and stifling heat in my room. I don't understand how the room is so unbearable but step into the hall and it cools down. The staff in the hotel are wonderful nothing is too much effort but I wouldn't come back here if I were paid and seriously considering cutting my stay short as can't function on no sleep. Such a shame as the hotel is generally nice

Room Tip: Bring a fan of 6
2  Thank sukylou

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Myself and my girlfriends stayed here over the weekend just gone. We all had an amazing time. I though the price we paid was excellent for the hotel and its facilities. Beautiful bar / restaurant area. we enjoyed our breakfast looking over the pool and gardens.The reception staff and waitresses always seemed to be very busy, but were always smiling and friendly. Our rooms and the hotel in general was quite hot, but maybe it was because of a beautifully sunny weekend in Bournemouth. But it wasn't a problem as there is a lovely Spa there. It does need a bit of love and attention paid to the décor, but the swimming pools and jacuzzi are amazing there's a little aroma cave and a very well equipped gym. The staff in the spa were very forgiving as we kept changing the times of our beauty treatments, but they were very good about it and helpful, and kept coming to check if we were happy and enjoying ourselves. Over all we had a great weekend, but the hotel does need a lick of paint and a few updated furnishings.

Room Tip: We saw lots of guests being rude to the staff, we found that being pleasant and polite, got us more...
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed Sunday 22/06/14 until Tuesday 24/06/14, we booked with a Virgin Experience Voucher which was bought as a valentines present for myself off my partner, we were advised upon booking not to arrive until 2pm as rooms were not available until then, we arrive 15 minutes before the stated time and the room was not ready yet and we were asked to wait until 2pm which we did, half two the room was still not ready so they gave us a different room which had been ready for hours?! Why keep me waiting if they already knew this, we got to room 68 after some difficulty as the directions given were not clear, tried to open door but card wouldn't work so back to reception, we got in the room and it looked clean but upon further inspection it was quite dirty, mould in bathroom, dirty bath mat in wardrobe etc. We went out to the beach but I had to return to the hotel as I was to hot, went to open windows and no window handles?? Just greasy bolts sticking out where the handles should be, we enquired about this being looked at and we're told maintenance were not available, upon further inspection the windows were actually screwed shut with several screws!! And had been like this a while due to the cobwebs in the gaps of the window. Isn't a screwed shut window a breach of health and safety, how would we get out in a fire?? We were offered a room change and as an apology an upgrade to an executive suite, we packed up again and moved to the opposite end of the hotel, the card wouldn't open the door again so back to reception, we got in the room and it was delightful very large and spacious with sofas and dining table I was very impressed, that lasted 5 minutes as the lights started to flicker and we could hear sparking noises, we looked at the card slot on the wall that activates the power and this was glowing blue?? And then BANG!! All the power blew out, I went to reception again to explain and the girl offered a replacement card for the room but I advised sadly this would not work as the power had blown and maintenance were not available so they moved us again to room 106 which was luckily next door, collected the new door cards and went back, surprised not very as the cards failed to open the room for a third time. We got into this room and it was not an executive suite as promised as an apology yet I was thankful to have a room with power and opening windows. This room again appeared clean bup it was not, dirty carpets and pillows, very dirty bath, mouldy windows etc, we must have overlooked the staff area as you could hear the staff having their conversations most of the day and night! The door cards failed continuously during our stay having to be re activated several times a day, the swimming pool area is filthy and dangerous as the steps into the pool are loose and I fell off hurting my foot and ankle, the changing rooms stunk like a public toilet with mould everywhere and stinking puddles of water on the floor covered by towels, the pool was ice cold and again was dirty in itself, I understand the pool area closed the day we left for maintenance and this had been advertised in the hotel for a while yet they knew the dangers but still opened it up? The garden area is tires and Un kept, dirty broken loungers cigarette butt's everywhere, and to my horror a used condom stuck to the base of one lounger! Breakfast was OK however they need to keep on top of the food as there were countless empty trays and customers stood waiting for food. The staff I did find to be friendly however when you called reception to request the missing iron from the room there was no urgency from them to bring it, 2 hours we waited for it, I find this highly unacceptable and considering their is a list of items and prices you will be charged if there items are missing! No one does an inventory or checks anything with you! I shall report this hotel to EHO officer as I feel it is not to the standards it should be.

2  Thank Paul D

Where do I start...
We were staying in the attic, room 96, which the lift does not go to. You had to take the lift ( which has a funky smell of BO / paint) to the 3rd floor then up a flight of steep stairs. Not ideal for anyone with luggage as the staircase is narrow.
The decor throughout the hotel is tired, the room was ok apart from the mattress had a dip so you rolled into the middle, not ideal if you are sharing the bed esp as it was a small double bed anyway!
The room was very hot but the hotel do supply a small fan which was useless. They need air conditioning. I would expect every 4* hotel to have this.
The breakfast was not worth £9.95...anemic sausages and premade tea was tasteless, you are better off making your own tea in your room. Also don't bother going down for breakfast on a weekend after 9am as they didn't replenish. I had to wait 30 minutes for butter for my toast.
You can actually get a good breakfast outside the hotel for £7.95 at Cliff Top Restaurant, 5 minutes walk from this hotel. Also dinner there is really good...don't even bother eating at this hotel!
The spa is terrible, really disappointing. In the main pool it was filled with sand! Surely they should tell the guests to wash prior entering but clearly they have not been doing this. If I had wanted sand I would have visted the beach.
The steam room was poor, hardly any steam and the sauna was out of action. The relaxation room smelt damp so I didn't stay in there long and the aromatherapy room baffled me as it was justa dark room with fairy lights and a soaking wet floor with spa music playing in the background...not sure what that is supposed to do??? I had afternoon tea booked in the spa and cancelled it on the basis that everything appears to be terrible at this hotel so why would I waste a further £25. Plus there was a huge hole in the ceiling in the spa so it is in need of restoration!!
When checking out, reception tried to charge us £155 per night rate and luckily I had the email confirmation with the correct rate on ( we paid £115 pn).
This hotel is not 4* accommodation, it is more like 3*. I actually feel a bit ripped off paying £115 per night as everything was shabby. I have stayed in better B&B's than this hotel.
I commented on this to the reception at check out and was told they were sorry and they would try to do better next time...sorry but there will be no next time!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Pay an extra £30 and stay at Best Western, The Connaught. Really lovely hotel a...
3  Thank Emma P
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Me and my 10 hens stayed here for my hen do and there is ot one bad thing I can say about my stay!
Rooms were lovely,spa facilities were lovely staff didn't bother you and left you to enjoy your stay very helpful,the breakfast in the morning was delicious! With a huge range!
Could not fault it at all! I will be going back there in again soon

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Choose this hotel for a relaxing spa weekend with my lovely friend to celebrate my hen party. Hotel was amazing.. treatment were amazing I recommend the facial and full body massage.. spa area was just perfect.. food was great.. I recommend the steak.. and chocolate roulade. . The room was clean comfortable bed room 107 executive suite for me the bride.. all others rooms were nice to.. we had a superb relaxing weekend.. weather was amazing to.. only bad things were the shower in the girls changing was disgusting covered in mould need to be closed off and the drink prices kept changing... ie breakfast diet coke was £2 .. lunch it was £3.59 and dinner was £4. Same with the wine prices were different everytime.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel took £270 for a two night stay in a deluxe room they down graded us to a very poor standard room and only informed us of this when we complained (this has been reported to trading standards). Numerous issues during our stay and had to complain at least 4 times. The worst thing is the attitude of the staff (up to director level) they are arrogant and deceitful. We shall be pursuing legal action against hallmark hotel holdings and the only good thing is this hotel company lost £1.6 million last year so hopefully won't be around much longer.

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business