“Brilliant location not far from shops, bars, restaurants, staff lovely food delicious.”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on the Friday for a friends hen wkd. The rooms were clean and plenty of room and nice bathroom with bath and shower. Some of the girls had rooms in the extension part of the hotel and these were noisy and not always hot water. The old part was better I think. The staff were all lovely and couldn't do enough for us. The lift would be the only down side as not modern with only 4 in at a time. We all had lunch the first day and was really tasty with lots of choice.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Magdub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Polish first
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. I was staying for 3 nights for a conference and someone else had picked the hotel. It is in need of a bit of TLC, but looks as if the owners have made a start. My room was quite large, nice bedding, shower needed a bit of attention, but there was a bath as well. Very clean. The bar area was nice, breakfast good and staff helpful. Pool was small but very well kept and clean. But out of town but near enough to walk (downhill) but a bit too far to walk back (uphill!). Taxi £4 to the conference centre.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Some very helpful staff, as in all hotels, some that go the extra mile for customer satisfaction, some it's a job ! Nice room with all amenities, reasonable food, pleasantly served. Needs some tlc in places, but the lounge area is very pleasant. Good few days away, thank you

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Neil A
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Took boyfriend here for the weekend for his birthday. rooms were clean so cant complain about that. shower in the bathroom was so powerful and uncontrollable that it had to be held the whole time.
Breakfast was OK minus the cold uncooked sausages.
Spa was lovely and we got great use out of it. 'Michelle' on the Spa reception was lovely and helpful.
We ate in the hotel bar for lunch and my plate had a long black curly hair across it. I'm blonde and so was the waitress, she spotted it as soon as she placed the plate on the table and rushed off back to the kitchen to get another, with that the restaurant manager came over and was very abrupt and stated that none of her staff had long black hair, which really peed me off as I didn't care where the hair came from I just didn't want it for lunch!!!
In the evening we had a few drinks in the bar and had a lovely kind barman called Maria, so credit to the both the staff mentioned.

Overall a good stay but wouldn't rush back for a stay but would use the spa again. I'd give it 3* not 4*

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As you can see from the title of my review I was not impressed. I considered that the word, 'incompetence' was too harsh, but then I looked up the word definition and was left with no doubt that it was a perfect description of this hotel;
noun

noun: incompetence; plural noun: incompetences, inability to do something successfully;
ineptitude

When we arrived at the hotel we were 15min early and so asked to wait - fair enough.
At 2pm I went to check in and was told that because I had only booked a double room, they had struggled to put 2 single beds in the room, but had just managed it. I told the receptionist that I had in-fact booked a family room. To which she replied, "You have done well to get a room for the 4 of you for £72. To which I replied that I had paid £122. I was then asked to show her proof which I did.
When she then said she would look for a family room I asked her if she was going to apologise for the way she had spoken to me in-front of the other guests. She did and she gave me a bottle of wine. Good I thought - a genuine mistake being put right!
Silly me. I was then offered a slightly bigger room with the catch that - the shower does not work in that room but you could have the keys to both rooms and shower in the first room, (across the other side of the hotel).
At this exact moment another guest arrived who had booked an executive room - they apologised for the 3rd party who had given them the wrong information (booking.com) and offered them a double room instead. This guest asked to see the booking on their screen and it clearly said executive suit. They apologised to this customer and said they had no executive suits left. They excepted the double room at a reduced rate, with a free lunch and a free bottle of wine.
Just as they were about to walk away the receptionist who was dealing with me appeared from the office and said to me , "So sorry for the trouble, I have managed to upgrade you too an executive suit!"
The other guest was understandably angry and so to try and calm the situation I let this couple have the executive suit.
We stayed in the cramped and boiling hot - room 11 opposite the lift. We paid the room rate for a double room, we were not given a free lunch and I found the manager, (when he arrived at 3.30pm) to be less than understanding.

Summary
I spent an hour and a half of a trip that was meant to be a treat, proving I had paid for a family room.
We didn't get the type of room we booked.
We were not compensated for our trouble.
We were BOILING hot!
The bathroom was mouldy and towels tiny.
The swimming pool was OK, but a little grubby.

Room Tip: Don't bother, you will only regret it. We did!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon C

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spent 2 nights here on a hen weekend wasn't disappointed but not overly impressed. Nice decor throughout, breakfast was ok nothing special. (Tables needed clearing faster inside and out) , not enough staff around though.
I didn't eat off the menu but friends did and it all looked nice. Reception staff were helpful and the duty manger helped as much as he could to sort out any problems.
I didn't see the spa so can't comment but the pool looked nice it's located in next to the bar/rest room and garden.
The hotel is like a rabbit warren upstairs and goes up 4 floors but lift will only take up 3 so you have to carry all your luggage up from there which is not easy. The top rooms are noisy you can hear the pipes and flush from other rooms as my friend found out and didn't get a wink of sleep.
£5 taxi to the pier or into high street

Room Tip: Ask for twin rooms, you get a 2 singles that are pushed together getting a bigger double. Asked not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I am posting this review having stayed here twice, both on 'spa spectacular' breaks. I think I've given it a fair shot now and can safely say I am extremely disappointed.

My first stay was last November. My room didn't have a very nice view, there was a crack in my door and the shower head and bracket was coming off the wall. I complained twice about this and it took them a long while for someone to come and look at it. They didn't fix it. The spa facilities also weren't that great, the pool was all gritty and the jacuzzi broke on the second day. The latter was out of their control but it didn't exactly help the rest of the situation. When checking out they tried charging me double the price they quoted me for dinner and the receptionist was very rude to me. However, it did make me feel better and so a couple of weeks ago I went back. Big mistake!

When I got to the hotel I found I had been upgraded to a suite. As you can imagine I was excited. I was less excited when I discovered that the pump that made water come out of the shower head didn't work and so you had to hold it up while showering bent double. I complained just before I went out for dinner and reception told me the maintenance team would be straight on it. I returned to my room and it hadn't been fixed. I complained again at breakfast, again when I went to use the gym and again when I was going out for the afternoon. At no point did anyone come and look at it and I eventually bodged it myself using an elastic band!!!

While some members of staff (the manager of the spa in particular) were lovely. It didn't make up for this. Things got even worse when I checked out to discover that the bill was double what I thought it was. The price of my stay the previous November had been around £170 (I can't remember the exact figure) yet here I was in June and the figure was £260! This was made all the more galling by the website saying from £130 and the fact that one member of staff agreed with the £130 price when I asked. It was also was the same member of staff who had quoted me the wrong price for dinner last November! Admittedly my confirmation email had said 'nightly room rate' when I went back to check but this wasn't explicitly clear and doesn't make up for the fact that I was in floods of tears at a bewildered receptionist.

Before putting anything here I decided I'd write to head office and see what they said. A letter came back saying:

'Thank you for your letter dated 11th June 2011'

They also misspelled my address.

They sent my letter on to the manager of Bournemouth who thanked me for giving them feedback, promising that things had now been changed and that they hoped it hadn't deterred me from staying at a Hallmark Hotel in the future. As you can imagine I wasn't best pleased and replied with another polite but clearly aggrieved letter. I also sent all the correspondence to the managing director. I received a reply today apologising that I wasn't happy with the manager's letter, answering one of my queries but basically saying that they weren't going to do anything.

The letter lacked some sense grammatically and the writer (the director of the company no less) clearly cannot use apostrophes.

I've never posted on Trip Advisor before because I've never felt the need but 'Hallmark' are not even bothered that I'm doing so which I think speaks volumes. This is a lot of money to spend staying away and I cannot convey to you all how upset and disappointed I was. 'Hallmark' just don't care.

I'll leave you to make up your own minds.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo