“Great stay, But run down and in need of TLC”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great stay, But run down and in need of TLC”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Slow service with poor variable food quality's. Thanks to people such as Victoria one of the waiting staff for great service with a smile.
Rooms aren't supplied with water without asking and only two cups given for a room of four. Also the lift was broken with over a week to fix making it hard to get bags and suitcases up and down with four flights of stairs to climb.

Overall great for a short stay but two nights max!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fastjam14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were sent on a wild goose chase to find our room (improve room signage maybe?!) by a new member of staff which I could sympathise with but what I found despicable was how he was chastised by an idiot manager on front of us, in a misguided attempt to save face. A quick 'sorry about that' would have been much more appropriate. We also had prepaid but were asked to pay again. Luckily my husband had our receipt! We paid for an 'executive room' which is an absolute joke and a waste of money. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Pontyclun, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Booking was wrong, no fans available, very little assistance from staff, overcharged took me 4 weeks to get my money back (as they advertised a no quibble price guarantee ) spoilt a surprise break that I had arranged for our anniversary

Room Tip: No a/c in any rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ann D
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived on a Saturday night at 6.30pm for one night and left at 6.00am the Sunday morning and that was too long a stay. For starters the car park was full so we had to park on the street, the room was very small, very hot and covered in a variety of what looked like human and pet hairs on the bed, the dated bathroom with pealing paintwork around the whole window sill and walls was dirty and very under-equipped. We went to the bar/ restaurant for dinner which was very over priced and barely edible and had to be sent back, we were immediately offered a half price meal and a drink as I think this had been one of many complaints that day, while I was there 2 dishes from different tables were sent back. Whilst in the bar we noticed the very shabby pool and were glad we arrived late and didn't have time for a swim. All in all this hotel is NO WAY A 4* and should be re evaluated from pricing to hygiene.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Laurenjane3
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I visited this hotel for a second time with my sister.Our first visit earlier this year was so good we just had to go back.We requested the same room as we had before and was assured that we would get it.On arrival we found that we were allocated a room on the second floor, I should say, a suite to be fair, but sadly there was no lift and I cannot climb stairs due to painful knees. We had words about this as we were very disappointed that just didn't seem to be concerned that we didn't get the requested room.However, they did find us a ground floor room and waived the charge for our food.Although we were upset that they did not follow through on the assurance that we would have the room we requested, we still enjoyed our stay.I must point out that the staff are very friendly and the food is excellent.

Room Tip: Room 213 large with terrace facing outdoor pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shelaghstrom
Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A girl friend and I stayed here for two nights and after having booked and read the reviews I contacted the hotel and the booking site to see if they would waive the cancelation fees which they wouldn't. So we were stuck with our choice. It is in a very convenient location for the town centre and beach and is only a few minutes walk from these. Parking not limitless but there does seem to be some on street parking too if stuck. we had been upgraded to an executive twin due to my concerns about staying here and when we walked in it was stifling. the heat was so intense! There were two windows one of which was a huge bay window with only ONE opening window. There was a desk fan and eventually we got the ceiling fan to work. When we returned from the spa the room felt cooler but on return to the room in the evening after dinner in town is was just as hot and unbearable. we had to strip all the cover off the bed to the sheets and there was a quilty mattress cover which once removed cooled the beds down a bit. The bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment and the shower end had no non slip part so became lethal when showering. the shower itself was also disappointing as no power and when you have thick hair like me it's practically useless. We had bought a bar of chocolate to share and when we came back after dinner it was so soft we couldn't eat it. We asked on the first night for another desk top fan and eventually after many requests we received one on the second evening. Although our room had been cleaned (I think) there was only one set of towels replenished, no fresh glasses in bathroom or toiletries and they had left cleaning fluid bottle on side in bathroom that a child could have harmed themselves with! Reception just said Oh sorry!
Breakfast was good and the spa was ok but a bit tired overall. the Jacuzzi was probably a bit too hot though to stay in there comfortably. Staff were pleasant enough. On checking out I was surprised to discover that one night's payment had already been taken despite the terms of my booking. the staff made up some nonsense about the wrong booking, not good enough. if the hotel had a makeover the bathrooms and aircon installed then I might stay again.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 15, executive room with lots of space. spa unlimited use which was good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank obankirst
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was expecting more given the cost per room in this hotel. Overall I was very disappointed and would not return. I understood the hotel had been refurbished but it seemed this was on a small budget. The bathroom had obviously been retiled etc but there was a large damp patch on the ceiling and light could be seen shining through the bath it was so thin. There was a wardrobe but no drawer space and the shelf in the wardrobe was too high for me to reach so I had to use the floor in the wardrobe to pile clothes on. The room was also incredibly hot. The ceiling fan had little effect. When we asked about additional fans we were told there werent any available. I tried to take my 12 month old swimming. The ladies changing room was swimming in water and a number of towels had just been left on the floor to try and soak some of it up but to no effect. There was nowhere for me to change my baby (I certainly couldnt lay him on the floor) and so I had to balance him on the slatted bench. He was not happy! When I then went to put him in the pool it was freezing cold and he only would have screamed if I had put him in (been there tried it before!). Therefore we didnt get to swim. In addition the towels we were told to take from the spa were dirty with something large and orange staining them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family