“Lovely room & hotel, enjoyable stay!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely room & hotel, enjoyable stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

We visited this hotel for my fiance's birthday, and also to relax and recover from a tiring 2 day trip to london the day before. After reading some reviews on here, I emailed the hotel with my concerns and was assured all the facilities were working and our room would be nice - thankyou to Anna who I exchanged a few emails with and sorted this for us. Reception staff were polite and friendly, our room wasn't quite ready but we had arrived before the stated check-in time so that was understandable. We swiftly checked in and were told we could use the facilities straight away while we waited for our room, which was appreciated. However we decided to wander into bournemouth for a spot of shopping and lunch, and when we came back to the hotel at 2.30 our room was ready. We stayed in room 8 and it was very nice, all the furnishings had a very luxurious feel, we had a bay window, armchair, desk & chair, and flat screen tv. Some nice pictures, flowers and ornaments for decoration too, plus complimentary tea, biscuits and toiletries and a smart and good sized bathroom with bath and overhead shower. The bed was very well made up and nicely presented, a very firm mattress which proved a little uncomfortable for me but my fiance found it just fine, so that's down to individual taste. Unfortunately I didn't have a great night's sleep, the occupant in the room above us was noisy and also as this was a business hotel aswell, there was quite a lot of noise in the corridor outside and banging of doors from about 7.30 onwards. We spent a relaxing hour or so in the spa, very warm in there but a cold water drink machine is provided. There seemed to be quite a lot of staff milling around and a couple of times some of them walked through the spa area talking quite loudly which did disrupt the serene atmosphere a little. I also found the jacuzzi to be a little too powerful and not so relaxing! The pool was nice to relax and swim in (not big enough to do proper lengths) and there was an aromatherapy steam room which was nice to sit in for a while. There is also a separate gym and a larger swimming pool in another part of the hotel, which we didn't use. For our evening meal we ate in a harvester about a 10 minute driveaway, a word of caution though on their website they advertise as having a restaurant on the same road as the hotel, but we could not find it anywhere! Check out was a leisurely 11am, overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the spa and luxurious room made it a lovely place to relax and we would stay again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Although not a guest at the hotel, we decided to spend new years eve in this hotel, enjoying a fantastic meal and ambience. The staff were polite, curteous and very attentive and the meal was certainly value for money.
On arrival we were met with champagne and canapes, which were very different to the usual smoked salmon nibbles. Excellent choice of menu, cooked to perfection,would certainly consider next year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

Checked into this hotel on a 'special' package for 4 nights, as it turned out I went on my own because they would not offer a refund as it was a 'special' package via Late-rooms. So I was charged £109 per night, whereas the walk-in rate was £79 for 2 including breakfast.

The location is good, 10 min walk to the town center (all downhill so taxi back) There are loads of places to eat and drink etc. In winter the whole place looked dismal and run down. The staff were generally helpful, apart from one who barged in front of me to put some bread in the toaster while I was stood putting mine in, she did not seem to realize what she had done and how rude it was, or why I was upset.

Rooms: Mine was a refurbished room, nice decor, big TV etc, looked nice...but one cupboard with 4 hangers, no drawers anywhere, no-where to store my case. If there were two of you with luggage for 4+ nights you would be falling over cases etc. Bathroom was ok, nice and clean, but no shaver point and no toilet brush.

Spa: Had all the things you would expect, however the jacuzzi was more like a geyser, just two areas that threw big chunks of water into the air, no directional jets spaces evenly around the tub. Changing room had only 10 lockers, and 4 of them had lost keys, steam room & sauna ok as was the resting area. The toilet in the changing room looked disgusting, hadn't seen bleach or descaler in years. The lighting was low (the Spa is in the cellar) but as you look around you can see the signs of age, low maintenance and general lack of care. There is a main pool too, which looked ok, but I didn't try it out.

WiFi: It was free, probably because it didn't really work for any length of time, even in the foyer with a strong signal strength.

Bar / restaurant: Modern, clean, good service (only had breakfast & a drink in the evening)

Walking to town there were many other hotels advertising vacancies at lower rates than I paid, and some of the hotels looked much nicer. If you want a quick winter getaway, just drive down and see what you can find.

Summary, the fabric of the hotel tries to improve, but it's not there by any means. Basics like no shaver point in a newly refurbished room indicates to me that they still are not thinking things through. If you have to stay here for a short time, it will be probably very satisfactory, if you need it for business (WiFi) then think twice, if you are on a family break, check out the room sizes before you commit.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Gexxie
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Had just a one night stay at the Hallmark for myself and my hubby as part of a birthday gift for him (went to see a comedian at the BIC) so I thought I would treat us and stay in an executive room. Nice decor, flat screen, robes, slippers.etc The Spa facilities were excellent. Had a nice relaxing hour or so in there. All the staff were very friendly and the food in the bar was very nice. Lovely breakfast in the morning. Good location within walking distance to the town centre, pier etc. The only downside was that the room was very cold, the radiators were barely warm and the heated towel rail in the bathroom did not heat up at all. I mentioned this on checking out and they did say that we should have let them know, but it was late when we came in and we wondered what they could have done about it at 11pm at night anyway. This would not however, stop us from going there again, perhaps when it's not so cold!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

The Hallmark created a wonderful wedding day for us, with the help of Lynn's organisational skills. I stayed the night before and the dinner was delicious, but I was unable to sleep, the night porter (Mark) was very patient with me and didn't mind me wandering around in the early hours decorating the rooms !!
I was very nervous but the manager (Steve) attempted to put me at my ease, everything went smoothly and we couldn't have asked for more. the wedding breakfast was tremendous.
the staff were all very accommadating, and willing to help at all times.
Thank you to everyone involved, I would love to come back, perhaps on our anniversary !!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Witney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed at the Hallmark Hotel, Bournemouth for 2nights in October. It was a surprise weekend for my birthday and first impressions of the hotel were lovely. The common areas ie: reception, the bar, the restaurant were all 1st class. Lovely decor, atmosphere etc. Food was divine! Well worth a visit to the restaurant in the evening. However our room, although spacious, was a little shabby, but the bathroom was excellent. The bed was very comfortable. There are 3 floors to the hotel and one lift, which was very small and stuffy. We did use the "spa" facilities, and this is the area which I feel lets the hotel down the most. The bottom of the pool was dirty, the tiles around the pool were broken, the ice machine didn't work. The changing facilities were tiny and extremely shabby if not a little musty. There was a sign advising guests of a revamp to the treatment room area, but it was not clear if this stretched to the pool/jacuzzi/steam room and sauna. For a 4* hotel, I was taken back by the spa facilities and spent no more than 20-30minutes down there. Location was fab. About a 5-10 minute walk from the shops and beach front, restuarants etc. All the staff were very helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and served hot!
I do think it's going through a period of re-furb, and when completed will be a superb hotel. But at the moment, wonderfully comfortable, with room for improvement! Enjoy your stay :-)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

I am a regular business stayer in Bournemouth, I usually stay at the Royal Bath, but have had enough there. The Hallmark was better, but it was ok and will probably try another venue. The postives were the staff, restaurant and pool. The negatives were poor wifi, a shower that at 5ft 9" I was too tall and a rather cramped room. Better value than the Royal Bath and a fresher breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business