“The only way is up”

Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #60 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 20 May 2011

we checked into the heathlands on wednesday 18th may for a suposedly 2 night stay on arrival every thing seemed ok we were given a key to our room which had a lovely view over the grounds at the front of the hotel. the problem started when my wife went to draw the curtains that where hanging on the rail by all of 3 hooks we also noticed the radiators that where full of dust as if they had not seen any cleaning for over a year. also room furniture was dusty and needed attention paying to cleaning standards.to accompany these problems was also a large crack and stain in the ceiling. realising buildings like hotels suffer from wear and tear and cleaning oversights can be made we where reluctant to complain. but my wife pointed out to me that in the replys to several other correspondents on this site.the general manager requested that people inform him or her of any complaints whilst in hotel to give them a window of oppurtunity to rectify things. so we headed for reception and requested to see the duty manager the helpfull receptionist called a lady called paula who is the general manager to attend to us my first impressions of this lady was of a person who took pride in her work and for who the comfort and enjoyment of guests was her number 1 priority. we told her our problems and both went to view the room together where she agreed that it was not up to standard and told us to wait in the bar with complimentary refreshments.whilst she resolved the situation even making sure she got a soft drink for our 2 year old. within 10 mins she returned and said that she only had one family room left and we could have that or transfer to the britannia bournemouth .we said we would transfer and she organised everything for us and again was so kind and helpfull.i have stayed in many high end hotel chains such as inter continental and marriott and never received such wonderfull service as we had from paula at the heathlands. so britannia value this lady and give her the resources she needs to make this bournemouths number one hotell. under her management the only way is up.

Room Tip: arrive early as car park fills rapidly
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
paulamepham, General Manager at Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2011

I am sorry that our rooms did not meet your expectations. I am aware as the new General Manager that there are some hurdles to jump but this would almost certainly be the case for any new Manager, and I am working on this very quickly.

I am pleased that I was able to resolve the room change for you, and thank you for your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again where I can assure you you will see the difference.

Kind regards
Paula Mepham

There are newer reviews for Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth

Reviewed 16 May 2011

We spent 2 nights at The Heathlands Hotel. What a wonderful Hotel. Our room was enormous, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Comfortable bed. Quiet location within a short walk of the beach and town. We had dinner and bed and breakfast. The food was very very good,self service and nice and hot. Staff friendly. We would definately go back : )

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappymouseWestSussex
paulamepham, General Manager at Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

Having got a great price online for an executive room dinner,bed and breakfast we were not really surprised when the room given to us turned out to be a standard twin (room 116).The room was only one down from the lift and had a nice view from the large window overlooking the gardens at the front of the hotel (we saw a fox in the gardens one night) and was spacious so we were quite happy to keep it.Unlike earlier reviews we found the room chilly and as my partner is not very well we asked at reception for a heater and an electric fan heater arrived in only a few minutes.This was typical of the service during our 4 night stay and all the staff were good and friendly.
Very good food in the restaurant at both dinner and breakfast and the tables were well spaced.The hotel was not full so we had no problem getting a good table everytime.
The bar is quite small which wasn't much of a problem as the hotel was not full but I think it could be too small during busy periods.
Not a lot going on in the hotel during our stay which suited us and there was entertainment on offer at a nearby sister hotel.
All in all a nice quiet (while we were there) comfortable hotel with good food served in a spacious dining room.
Next time we are in Bournemouth we will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrankandHedley
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Just a short 2 night break and it couldn't be faulted , good food , clean comfortable rooms ,free car parking and good location (just off the beach) would come back again to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Booked for easter weekend Counttry and Western music weekend and after al the reviews on here was quite concerned, especially as were put on the 3rd floor which seems to have most of the bad reviews. well, can only say as we found it and our room looked as if it had been re decorated, was also very clean. the only complaint was that the room was almost unbearably hot and there weas no heating on at all ( wish I had known that the windows can be opened more, as per previuos review). the hotel itself was spacious and the food was buffet style and ofered lots of choice. the main lift goes only to the second florr but there is another one that goes up to the 3rd. really enjoyed our stay there. the hotel itself is very near to town, just a walk away

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spicers2_11
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We (2 adults, 1 teen, 1child) booked 4 nights at this hotel, dinner, bed and breakfast. We paid £180 so we were not expecting the Savoy. The room was clean and bright, the bathroom was a bit dated but clean. We had a wonderful break in Bournemouth but the best of Heathlands in our opion was the inclusive meals. There was a wide verity of food for all tastes and was buffett style so it was eat as much as you like (with a teen to feed it came in very handy) We had small problem with our shower but the staff offered us another room but we were happy to use the bath instead. We will be returning to Heathlands!

Room Tip: We parked our car and used the local buses.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jeanmarie00
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights and found it very enjoyable. I was staying in the executive suite which was very spacious and nicely decorated. I did find the room a little hot every now and again and the windows did not open fully until one of the people that I was there with found a catch that opened it fully. The first night I found it rather difficult to sleep as the mattress was much harder than the one that I normally sleep on at home, but by the second night I had gotten used to it and endured a nice sleep.

The bathroom was tiled which kept it cool and it was stylish and well decorated - just as the room was. There was a lot of storage space (which I took up very little) and the television was a nice size with the 4 main channels. There were tea and coffee facilities on the large dressing table.

The food was lovely - dinner was always hot and there were a large variety of meals (although there was only meat and fish, so vegetarians may want to be careful). There was a salad bar and a side bar also and after the meal, waiters/waitresses came round and asked us if we would like some tea or coffee. Breakfast was lovely with a larger choice than dinner. There was fruit, cereals, fried breakfast and croissants/toast with a selection of fruit juices. The restaurant was nice and spacious and the staff were friendly.

The only complaint about my stay was the creaky floorboards in my room. Everywhere I walked the floor would creak beneath me. When I spoke to the people underneath me however, they said that they did not hear me - which was a relief.

Overall, I had a very lovely stay at this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place near the beach in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business