“Disappointing”

Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I can only wish I had read Graham C's review before I booked 1 night at the Heathlands Hotel. We had booked through Laterooms.com on 8th August and stayed the night of 11th.
Although you cannot book into your room until 3pm you are asked to vacate by 10 am the next morning.
We had booked an Executive Double with garden view and when we did get into our room it was a Family room made up with one double and 3 singles one of which was placed in front of the wardrobes.
When I complained they at first said they were fully booked. On asking for a refund and saying we would go elsewhere the duty manager spoke to housekeeping and managed to find us an Executive Double.
This room did overlook the garden but was also south facing and with the only ventilation being the windows was extremely hot.
I agree it is not a hotel that I would recommend to anyone. Time they caught up with what is expected of an Executive room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eileenthatway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Exmouth
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife & I are a retired business couple and have travelled all over Britain & the world for 46 years, as the owner of a company, I used many hotels every month during my business career and have never ever made a complaint, but we stayed at the Britannia Heathfield Hotel in Bournemouth for a few days, what a disaster:
The toilet bowl was in a disgusting state, so we asked reception (3 times) to have it cleaned asap, it was not cleaned until the nest day, but only due to my wife seeing the chambermaid passing along a corridor and have her come to the room to clean out the filthy toilet bowl.
The drawers and cupboards in the room were stained with jam and other finger bits, so my wife washed and cleaned them down.
One of the bulbs above the sink in the bathroom was not working, so it was difficult for me to shave and also for my wife's make-up
again, I asked reception to replace the bulb, but nothing was done.
The bathroom and room had many dirty marks on the walls and skirting, very unpleasant.
There was no inside lock or security on the inside of the room door, or the usual notice regarding exits and procedure in the event of a fire. There were fire notices inside the lifts, but were not to be used in the event of a fire, I had a problem with that, due to me being semi-disabled and use a wheelchair.
The dinning conditions were cheotic to say the least, we had to ask the restaurant manager and waitress (3 times) for cutlery to eat our breakfast, they kept saying, "sorry I forgot"
I must say, the staff were very pleasant, but the room was disgusting to say the least.
I'm sure many of the Britannia Hotel rooms are acceptable , but I don't know whether we would stay at another Britannia Hotel due to disgusting conditions of the Heathlands hotel room.
I've never had a bad room in a hotel during all my business and holiday years, but this was THE WORSE ROOM IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OVER 40 YEARS..
Disatisfied guest..
Jim Douglas-Stewart, Exnouth, Devon

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jimmyD-S11

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I paid my first visit to the Heathlands last year and it was excellent. The room was clean and tidy, the public areas likewise, the staff excellent and the food was superb - massive choice and top quality served by professional staff, all from eastern Europe, splendidly dressed, polite and friendly, knowing automatically just when to help and when not to interrupt.

My recent stay, which was booked on the basis of my past experience, was on a different level altogether. The public areas are now showing the signs of neglect, and with a few exceptions, are in need of a major refurbishment. The restaurant is still self service, but the quality of the food has gone down considerably, the choice is no longer what it was, and the staff are fewer in number and by and large lacking in training, resulting in poorly laid up tables and poor levels of service. E.G. after dinner each evening, coffee was served (in self service heat retaining flasks) in a separate room. Unfortunately, most of the coffee went to waste as guests were not informed of the arrangement.
I was allocated room 37, which is tucked away at the rear of the hotel and has a splendid view over the hotel graveyard, where old mattresses and other outdated paraphernalia is piled up awaiting disposal. The decor is best described as faded 1960's. Carpets in the passages leading to my room were poorly fitted at the joins, posing a potential trip hazard to guests. Beer glasses collected from an adjacent room no doubt, were left near a hallway radiator for 3 days.
One particular point which I had not noticed when booking, but which is clearly shown in the Hotel Website small print, is that the Hotel is "pet friendly". Dogs are apparently allowed in all guest rooms, which some will find acceptable, but which I think is unhygienic, and somewhat funny as guests are requested to wipe their hands with anti-bacterial gel in various parts of the hotel.

In all, the hotel is not what it was, and whilst many will enjoy their stay at the Heathlands, not one that I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Only book here if you like to sleep with a dog in your room, or where a dog may have been.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Graham C
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I am just about to spend my fourth night here, having arrived on a package coach trip with Majestic Holidays. Some of the reviews that I have read just do not equate to my experience. My first floor room (117) was clean, spacious, with good coffee and a good TV picture to watch the Olympics on. It was only five feet from the lift on the first floor.There was a hairline crack down the whole of one wall and the large window was loose and needed to be jammed open. Those were just very minor problems. The bed was comfortable with clean linen. The bathroom was clean and spacious with qualiity towels and I enjoyed a good soak with a good supply of hot water.
Both breakfast and dinner were nothing to complain about but there could have been a larger variety of vegetables. The staff worked hard but the restaurant was not well organised or managed. Milk and sugar had to be requested which meant that the waiter had to leave the tea and coffee pots while he/she went off to get some.It was advisable to arrive to eat early at the buffet as some options quickly ran out and the food, as expected, looked better when first laid out. The breakfast eggs were very poorly cooked but otherwise the fried breakfasts were good.
The bar service was good but at times there was only one overworked member of staff to serve. However, as I was on a 99p bar deal between 6pm and 9pm who was I to complain!!!!
I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: From overhearing conversations in the bar I was probably a bit lucky to have the room that I did.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Heathlands is a truly great hotel. Me and my husband stayed there for 2 nights and we loved it! We do travel to Bournemouth every year and this is the best hotel (for the value as well) so far! Very friendly staff, nice restaurant and lounge, amazing buffet style breakfast, gorgeous garden (very rare for England), nice room. Everything is clean, hotel is well looked after, located just 3 minutes away from the beach and also close by to a town. There was no young crazy crowds there, but rather couples, older people and weddings (which was not drunken crazy).
I think price was reasonable and we will surely be back! Thank you for looking after us :)

Room Tip: We asked for "double room" when booking and got it. Maybe choose one with windows to the f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elena L
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

My friend and I only stayed here because her mum got a voucher for a free nights stay, thankgod because this place wasn't worth a penny of my money!

The decor is old and mismatched and when we walked in it looked and smelt just like a hospital!

The room was a twin on the ground floor, again decor was old and didn't match! A tv that looked like it was from the early 90's which had awful signal and was tiny! The carpet looked like it hadn't been hovered in weeks, dust everywhere, hairs in the bath tub and sink, mould everywhere! The list is endless!

Rude woman behind the bar who was very slow and when we asked for mayonnaise she said we had to share one pot because 'chef is tired' (too tired to pour out some mayo?!)

Food was cheap and disgusting and breakfast made me feel sick.

The only positive thing I can say about this place was most of the staff were very nice and it's a shame they arnt working in a nicer establishment.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Rachel4590
Bucks
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Booked last minute through Booking.com. The room was described as an executive double - spacious, front facing room with windows and a seating area. It was not spacious or front facing. It did have a bed, a chair and some very old windows overlooking the rear car park. It had a TV which was only tuned very badly to a couple of stations. No power in shower and very little pressure. Found some ash on floor from previous occupant or cleaner? Reception, bar and restaurant staff were good. Main thing in its favour was that it was very cheap!

Room Tip: None spring to mind
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple