“Poor doesn't begin to rate the hotel”

Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Poor doesn't begin to rate the hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

On arrival the hotel from the outside needed alot of work.
Asked for 7 rooms with single beds, but given 7 rooms with double beds and they were unable to swap which was, untill I went into the room they gave me. Both windows broken, the room was the size of a match box! Asked if I could move rooms, but all rooms were pretty much the same size, I was really unhappy.
Bathroom was really old fashioned with yellow stains througout the room. The shower was also very poor.
Staff during the day were really friendly however the night staff I found to be very rude towards our group.
Best part of the hotel was the location.

3 Thank Telsy678

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Newbury, UK
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

...Can be very worrying. I think a lot depends on your first impression of the room you're given. Mine was nice, I had a very nice time.
My room was spacious, on the ground floor at the back, only overlooking the car park but that's fine. The room was a little bit shabby and not perfect but the shower was good, the curtains didn't hang loose, the water was not brown, there was no mould, the TV worked just fine :)
I had bought a VIP package and we had biscuits and fudge, a fruit basket and wine, it was nice. I enjoyed the two dinners very much. Homemade lasagne was indeed homemade and very good. Breakfast was also enjoyable.
I would come again.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Fiendishly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had a really bad experience at Heathlands Hotel when they cancelled our advance group booking on the day of arrival just so that they could re-sell the rooms at a vastly inflated rate during a sunny weekend.

I had booked for a group of 15 people and, to be on the safe side, offered to pay in advance. However, even though their terms and conditions say you can pre-pay if you want, I was reassured that payment would only be needed on check-out. We arrived at the hotel just before 5 pm to discover that our booking had been cancelled less than an hour previously. Even though their online terms and conditions clearly state that my credit card would not be authorised until we arrived to check in, they had made a few attempts to do this before I arrived (without my permission), and failed to get an authorisation because they triggered my bank's anti-fraud measures.

They made one attempt to call me before cancelling the booking, but reached my voicemail as I was en route on a train. I tried calling them back but they didn't pick up the phone.

Naturally we assumed that they would be happy to authorise my credit card and fix this mess when we arrived. I even showed them the call log on my phone to show my attempts to call them back. However, at this point they started spouting nonsense. They claimed that their website conditions permit them to authorise the card in advance. Anyone can read the conditions and confirm that this is not true (unfortunately I didn't realise at the time). Secondly they claimed all the rooms had been snapped up for the second night of our stay. Whilst they were happy for us to rebook the Friday night, all the twin rooms we had booked for the Saturday had miraculously been purchased (in the space of about an hour). Somewhat naively I believed this to be true and we agreed to check-in and move out the next day. It wasn't till later on that we thought to call their central booking line where "Matt" proudly confirmed that there were plenty of twin rooms still available. Matt also told us that he was actually quite surprised at the price they were available at (£300 per room). I think his words were "this is the most expensive I have ever seen them".

So, to conclude, make an advance group booking here at your own peril. As far as we can tell, they screwed us over on a busy weekend to try and make more money, and in the process broke their own terms and conditions and told us porky pies.

Also, the breakfast was poor, the rooms were too warm and the signs outside the lifts all point the wrong way.

Room Tip: Avoid the front-facing rooms in warm weather. If you have to leave the window open then it can be no...
3 Thank MisterTripper7393

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Checked in no problem asked if a twin room told yes turned out to be a double with a single bed thrown in ok live with that phoned down asked for a fan none left ok live with that no TV remote phoned we will see what we can do still waiting but at least the lift works

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed at the Heathlands several times over the last few years, and I am disappointed with the way the hotel is being neglected. As per previous reviewer, this is almost certainly because of Britannia Hotels and their policies. The service on reception was excellent, although the restaurant staff could do with a little bit more customer service training. The food was very good with plenty of choices. Unfortunately, the exterior of the building is getting into a shocking state. The paintwork is awful all around the building, even at the front of the hotel. There are cracks in the stonework, and the gardens which were once beautiful are now covered in debris, weeds, and broken sun loungers and chairs. What a shame that a hotel with so much potential is being allowed to deteriorate due to the owners other priorities. This was a whist holiday with friends and other guests, and the whist host (Mervyn) was excellent as always. There are small details, which you would expect from a hotel whatever it's star rating, which are missing. These include no toilet brushes in rooms (apparently for health & safety reasons!), tea, coffee, and milk in all rooms but no complimentary packets of biscuits. No hot chocolate for those who prefer this drink. And you can expect to pay £3 per day for parking your vehicle in the hotel car park.

Room Tip: Single rooms can be very small.
1 Thank Donnyjonny
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Terrible customer service - more due to the Britannia Hotels group than the poor girl on reception, but they shafted our group by cancelling our booking one hour before arrival due to a minor issue with the card payment. We managed to rebook our rooms for the first night but had to find an alternative for the second night. We suspect this was a very convenient opportunity for them to re-sell the rooms for a much higher rate.

Rooms were hot and humid. Shower was pathetic.

Don't risk it. Go to the Seafront Travelodge instead, much better.

Breakfast was OK - nice staff.

3 Thank Fau1tyT0w3rs
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited The Heathlands Hotel on 7/6/2014 for a wedding reception and stayed the night.
On arrival we found a car parking space easily due to the parking at the front and rear of the hotel.Our first thoughts on seeing the hotel were that it could do with a lick of paint and some tidying up of the exterior but this is only a minor grumble.The reception area is large and we were greeted by 3 friendly staff who promptly sorted out our room keys and informed us of where we could get some food and what time breakfast would be served the following morning.
The room (324) was spotless and had everything required for a short stay although the lack of a balcony was a little disappointing.The shower was hot and the bed comfortable.The following morning after the party the night before we were looking forward to breakfast and were not disappointed as it was really good.The breakfast is all you can eat and included all the usual suspects cereal,bacon eggs etc.This is a very nice hotel and very cheap and is perfect for short stays in Bournemouth as it is so close to the town and the beaches,there were stag and hen parties staying whilst we were there and they all seemed very happy with their stay at The Heathlands