“Shocking!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!”

Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel Last night, quite late as had gone straight from work.

Arrived at the hotel to be met by a dubious looking exterior and an even more underwhelming main foyer. With people sitting around with carrier bags of beer and wine...

Staff were friendly and check in was quick, and it is literally 2 mins from the main walk to the front... Needless to say these were the only positives.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

The first room (209) we were given on check in was a twin when we asked for a double. The whole room had seen better days. The flooring on the bathroom floor had huge gaps where it had been unsuccessfully cut to size. It was also absolutely roasting hot - no AC here!

We went back to the reception where a number of guests were trying to check in but they had no bookings for them.

We told the young lad on reception we were not happy and wanted to move. He spoke to his colleague who was surprised commenting "oh, but that is a really nice room".

They put us in a different room (45) and this was no better. It had a double bed. But was also too hot to bear. The window then also opened directly into the back car park with a delightful view of the smokers corner!

The room was tiny, and you could only just get round the bed. The huge old box TV was precariously balance on a tiny table to one side of the bed. The wall were cracked and damaged in a number of places, and although filled had not been sanded down or repainted.

Into the bath room, we could just about squeeze around the door into the bathroom between the door and the sink. Into the world's smallest bathroom. The tap on the bath was all tapped up with yellow and green taped and didn't work.

Again we went back to reception where the other guests were still waiting.

This time we really were not happy and said we just wanted a refund. The lad had to talk to his colleague who was dealing with another guest. She was allocating keys. She said to the lad they will have to wait (we were literally standing right there) while I do this. So the lad stood doing nothing whilst we impatiently waited.

She asked what the problem was and we explained it was just not an acceptable room. And we just wanted a refund. The offered us a suite at no extra charge but we didn't hold out much hope so we declined and left.

Furthermore I am gobsmacked that this is a wedding venue!

We went to another hotel Menzies - FANTASTIC.

It is right on the front, and for only an extra £18 we had a fantastic stay, with full breakfast included!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lucy S

Reviewed 2 July 2014

No matter how you see it, it doesn't make sense.
Yes, one can argue that you get what you pay for. However having a relatively inexpensive accommodation does not mean that facility should not been maintained properly and clean.
The state of the hotel and its room was outrageously rotten.
No matter how cheap a hotel is, there should be running water and the toilets should flush. You should not have to expect mold and dirty towels.
How this hotel chain stays in business is beyond me.
Needless to say, I left the hotel the day I arrived and moved to another one.

1  Thank Rinaldo A
Reviewed 1 July 2014

An absolute pile of sh....
Good sized rooms I'll give them that but the rest, oh dear, abysmal!

- Hair on the wall of the bathroom (Picture)
- Hair on towels AFTER cleaners had been in!
- Mold along the bathroom ceiling (Picture)
- Stains(?) on the curtains (Picture)
- Stains on the walls (Picture)
- No water pressure at all (2nd floor)
- Permanently open windows as there was no handle on them! (Picture)
- A shower that was.... I don't know what it was! (Picture)
- Loud music resonating through the walls all through the night
- A bar that doesn't accept credit cards!

In fact, this hotel was so bad that had there been others in the area we would have left early and happily paid for a second hotel!

If possible stay away, this hotel is not worthy of your money, not until it has been knocked down and rebuilt!

6  Thank ChristianArvidsson
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel mainly because of the price being within my budget compared to the neighbouring hotels. After booking i was slightly worried due to the reviews i had read but i cant complain. I paid £20 for a room upgrade after the first room was really small and very muggy! The room we was moved to was perfect, very spacious and overlooking the gardens. Staff were very helpful and really friendly! Location was great a minutes walk away from the beach and town. Overall i think the other reviews are very picky and do the hotel no justice. Yes It is an old fashioned hotel but its great for being on a budget!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexlouise2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We booked this hotel last minute as we had a funeral the next day. Being the end of the month I went for price - £37 for a double room, really cheap! The hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes walk to restaurants and moments from the sea front. When we arrived we were given the key to a room that was already occupied - it was quiet a funny situation but probably would have been very embarrassing if the guest was actually in the room at the time! We decided not to leave our key with reception at any time during our stay. Our real room was big but had a strong smell of cigarette smoke - you could see the old yellow stains on the ceiling and the curtains were very musty. The room and bathroom both need a good makeover, more than just painting over the top of what's already there. However, you do get what you pay for and it was fine for staying just one night on a small budget. Room was quiet, had all the facilities and good location. We chose not to have breakfast at £7 each and took a short walk in to town instead. Also, if you are staying for just the one night, don't bother with the hotel's own carpark (£3 charge) and park on the road as it's actually cheaper - free after 5:30pm until 9am, then just £1 for up to 2 hours and check-out is 10am.

Room Tip: Make sure there's no one else staying in it first!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank goo2088
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Parked up fine in their spaces, then reception informed me my booking was now at another hotel just down the road! Have erased the name from my memory - therapy.
So start again... I had a small double, apparently an upgrade? Cramped with poor furniture, and a shower ensuite - fine til I went for a shower and the last persons used soap was still lurking on the shower shelf - yuck! Hello housekeeping...
Had paid for bed and breakfast but the breakfast started at 07:30 - and I had to be at meeting for 08:00 so that was a no no.. but nothing pre booking told me the restaurant times?
Disappointing experience all in all, wouldn't repeat the experience unless I had to - please don't make me.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay, if you don't they will?
1  Thank NessMill
Reviewed 22 June 2014

On arrival the hotel from the outside needed alot of work.
Asked for 7 rooms with single beds, but given 7 rooms with double beds and they were unable to swap which was, untill I went into the room they gave me. Both windows broken, the room was the size of a match box! Asked if I could move rooms, but all rooms were pretty much the same size, I was really unhappy.
Bathroom was really old fashioned with yellow stains througout the room. The shower was also very poor.
Staff during the day were really friendly however the night staff I found to be very rude towards our group.
Best part of the hotel was the location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends