“expensive for what it is”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hinton Firs Hotel

Hinton Firs Hotel
Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“expensive for what it is”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Got a single room at £59 on a saturday night for just one night. I don't find it particularly good value. The hotel is old, the outdoor swimming pool was disgusting. It looked like a lot of sand at the bottom. If you have an outdoor swimming pool it has to be cleaned every day... it was good for ducks, but not for people swimming. The indoor swimming pool was nice but very small. I didn't have a towel in my room when I arrived so when we went for our walk, I asked the receptionist for one. Went out for more than an hour, came back and there were still no towel. Called reception to say my towel was still not in my room, and she said that she would send someone over straight away. It took another hour for someone to give me towels, and the young man said: did you ask for extra towels? Well no actually, they are not extra, I didn't have any. By that time I already had my shower and had too dry with what I could from my weekend bag, as I had to get ready to go to the theatre.
that is quite bad service. Rooms should be ready, and that includes towels, and if anything is missing, then it should be brought to the room as soon as the guest asks for it. It shouldn't take 2 hours to get a towel in a hotel that size.
My friend's single room was even smaller than mine, which is not a problem if you stay for a night or 2 and you plan on being in the room just to sleep. But there was a very strong smell of humidity. It didn't come from the bed, but most probably from the carpet. The weather was fabulous that weekend and it was extremely hot, but opening the window did not help with the smell. I don't know if the carpet had just been cleaned and it hadn't had time to dry completely, or if there was humidity in the room, but it was terrible.
The bar served food until really late, so that was one good point for our party. And the breakfast was good. I wasn't offered more coffee though which I thought was a let down.
I had taken photos to show the very simple room, but unfortunately I lost the files when my computer crashed last week.
I really think this is quite expensive. It is a hotel, but it is not as good as most B&Bs I have stayed in so far. Not impressed. I will go back to Bournemouth but stay in a B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I also visited this Hotel on a Wowcher deal and can confirm that at £99.00 for two nights for two people inc breakfast and afternoon cream teas this deal was very good indeed . The hotel public rooms that we saw were very good including the outdoor and indoor pool areas. The breakfast meal were very good and the staff very helpful and friendly . Like my wife the the bathroom was a little tired looking and the power shower was nonexistant. the bedroom was ok . If i was to pay normal rates I would expect a much higher standard of bedroom. Overall it was a good hotel in a nice area of Bournemouth and i would seriously consider staying there again.

1 Thank Graham R
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had a Wowcher deal and whilst I didn't expect the best room in the hotel, we ended up with a shabby room overlooking the fire escape. The bath was no sealed properly and where the water escaped shower from the down the wall, there were damp patches and wallpaper coming away. By the bed there were dangerous wall lights that were not secured properly to the wall.

Otherwise, the hotel is lovely, staff and food are great, location is by the beach.

Room Tip: ensure you don't get rooms on the 2nd floor, seems to be ex staff quarters
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I think this is a good hotel for the amount that we paid £99 two nights b&b you can't expect too much paying that sort of money. It has a lovely outside area with a pool and two minutes walk from the Ocean.. The rooms are dated but clean with everything you need in a room plus a big flat screen tv. Unfortunately the bathroom needed a big make over shower was slow and couldn't control the temperate as it came from the taps and some hairs (ek!)...

Other than that if you want a decent hotel by the beach with a nice garden then you can't go wrong.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

we have just spent 5 days here as a coach party, externally the hotel is in urgent need of a facelift e.g.peeling paintwork broken downspout.inside the hotel is very clean & the bedroom was comfortable although hot due to weather at time but I requested a fan & one was sent to room immediately.The entertainment was poor & the bar prices in my opinion were high.The food served in dining room was good quality & a good choice downside of this was the slow service although the waiting staff did their best but sometimes got order wrong.I did notice at times that guests who travelled independently seemed to get preferential service over us.To sum up overall enjoyed stay but don't think I will return

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Didcot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend break with two of my friends and our children 8 people in total. I had read some very worrying reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor. However, when I contacted the hotel the manager was happy to put my mind at rest. We all stayed in the cottage. I will say it is actually an annexe and not a cottage really. However, I stayed in Room 17 which was right next to the front door. The room was excellent, two big double beds, wardrobes, bay window with dressing table, lots of natural light. Through the door was an adjoining single room, which my 5yr old daughter immediately claimed as her own. The bathroom was accessed through this room. The room was clean, comfortable and well proportioned. My friends were also in rooms 16 and 19 within the cottage, again all well proportioned, light and airy. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was good, with a good selection of food, the waiters provided excellent service and couldn't do enough for my children. I really had my doubts before arriving (the hotel was booked by my friend). However, I would be more than happy to come back with my children and stay in room 17. The fact it is right by the door by the way is not a problem. We were not disturbed by people entering and leaving the cottage. A great nights sleep was had by us all. Thank you:).

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JenWr35
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Firstly, for the people who may read this and who we didn't see before we left, our daughter and her team won the national championships.

Right, now the review.
I have to say after staying, that some of the reviews about this hotel are ridiculously misleading and totally exaggerated.
We are a family of 7 (2adults 5 children) and were very pleased with most of our stay, the oldies as a previous reviewer mentioned were very friendly and never moaned about our children and even paid an interest in them. The young uns were not rowdy or a problem.
The rooms were large enough for us to be comfortable and the kids were happy.
The grounds were tidy and parking was available.
The breakfast was good and the choice was fine again the kids didn't moan so that's a good sign!
It just a short walk to the front and 20 mins to Harry ramsdens ( and the pier) which we enjoyed, a lot.
Beer prices were about right and they did look after the kids when it came to drinks.
The pool out side could do with a refurb but the spa was great, the kids loved it lol.

So all in all a good hotel.

We will go again, if we can get a better price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family