“Two Night Stay for Bournemouth Air Show”
Review of Hinton Firs Hotel

Hinton Firs Hotel
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recentley stayed at Hinton Firs Bournemouth , probabley about our 6th trip back there so it was nice this time to get a good sized room with a very large comfortable Modern Bed,TV, Tea and coffee making facilities as usual. Large Bathroom which was clean , only had one towel when we arrived so we asked a very helpfull polite young man who was in the corridor making up the Rooms for more and he was back in just 2 mins with more fresh clean towels.The Shower is not exactley a power shower but it is adequte .
We found the staff to be better than our last stay, much more friendly and always polite they all work very hard and We would like to say a paticular Big Thankyou to Fran who works in the Restaurant . Shes always dashing around and has a lot to do but will always have time for you for a quick chat.
The Food still remains the best thing about Hinton Firs with good standard Hot meals that are served to your table so none of this terrible Buffett style dinning , who wants to have to que up for there dinner and serve it up themselves youre supposed to be on Holiday its a Break and all about relaxing and treating yourself so good old traditional waiter/waitress service is very much appriciated.Very Good location is walking distance to Boscombe or Bourenmouth. If you get the chance go and see the Bourenmouth Air Show absolutley Brilliant ! Overall Hinton Firs does seem very good value for money, Yes its an old Building but in a strange way thats whats nice about it Truly Traditional would be a better term to use and yes we will be staying there again when we are tired of working and just need to recharge our batteries. Mr and Mrs Harvey.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jetsetLondonuk

Reviewed 1 September 2013

After booking this hotel and reading the reviews in tripadvisor we were in two minds whether to go or not. We found the hotel to be very good and the staff exceptional.The breakfast was very good and it was refreshing to be served a freshly cooked breakfast rather than the customary buffet found in most other hotels.I would recommend this hotel to anybody and we shall certainly revisit.

Room Tip: Choose rooms 30-34 as these seem to be more airy than the others
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have just returned from our third visit to the Hinton Firs, and we highly recommend it. The staff are fantastic, and we were amazed at how fast any small issues were put right, even on Bank Holiday weekend - they really do go out of their way to be pleasant and helpful.

The public rooms are beautifully maintained and have clearly been carefully designed and decorated. Our bedrooms were really lovely (although temperature is definitely an issue, and aircondtioning would be a huge plus!)

The indoor pool and jacuzzi were great as always (although the sauna was out of order), and the garden is pretty and a great area in which to relax.

Interestingly, when we told friends where we were staying, several of them said they had taken a look at the hotel while in Bournemouth and were impressed with how nice it looks.
I appreciate that everyone's review is dependent on THEIR experience, but I can only say that we were delighted with OUR experience, and would be more than happy to return:)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My partner and I went on a £99 deal for 2 nights and after reading a lot of reviews were slightly anxious as to what it was going to be like. The room was clean and nicely decorated. It was a bit worn around the edges but nothing offensive. We had a scone and cappuchino on arrival and as it was sunny we sat outside. They have new furniture so we laid on the sun lounger basking in the afternoon sun. The pools didnt really appeal to me, the outside one just looked like a pond and the inside one just looked dirty but we used the pool of another hotel just down the road. The staff were all very polite and helpful. The downstairs is dated and very old fashioned but again it was clean and tidy. It did resemble an old people's home at times but we were out and about most of the time so it didn't bother us and we were here for a relaxing break away from the kids so we knew we wouldn't be woken in the night by drunk guests. My main issue was the room was boiling hot, we were on the first floor and there was a flat roof so we couldn't leave the window open, the hotel did supply us with a fan for both nights but the cleaner changed the fan when she cleaned the room and replaced it with a metal noisy one which kept us awake so couldn't really use it. We spend a day at the Cumberland Hotel, just a stones throw from the Hinton Firs, it's Art Deco and has a great atmosfear, I'd defiantly recommend it for some cocktails and yummy food.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fossyberrywinkle
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Although I haven't actually stayed at the hotel, our Social Group (IVC Bournemouth) have been meeting once a month at the Hinton Firs Hotel for a while now for our book club. The staff are friendly and accommodating - happy to let us have the TV lounge to ourselves, to move the furniture around and they even put a table in for us to have a light meal before book club!
Thank you Tim and staff for always making us feel so welcome!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Now I know a lot of people have given this hotel poor reviews, and I went there with more than a little trepidation.

If you are someone who likes a young crowd, fusion menus and wifi wherever you go then this is not the place for you.

Usually I would say I was that kind of person, but on this occasion I was charmed by this old school hotel with it's staff who were willing to do anything for their guests, the good, honest food, the hilarious evening entertainment, and the pleasant garden and indoor pool.

In the evening all the guests congregate in the rooms downstairs chatting, drinking and playing games such as pool and ping pong. I have never been in a hotel where this happened before, and I found it charming.

The rooms were not great, but they were very spacious and had big TV's (if that is important to you). Everything was clean and functional but just not very modern. When the weather is hot, the rooms get hot and the windows don't open very wide - this could be a problem - especially if like us you are travelling with babies.

Everything in the hotel was aimed at an older clientele, but if you can see the positive in experiencing a bit of seaside hospitality from another generation, then this is for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mole26
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Got a single room at £59 on a saturday night for just one night. I don't find it particularly good value. The hotel is old, the outdoor swimming pool was disgusting. It looked like a lot of sand at the bottom. If you have an outdoor swimming pool it has to be cleaned every day... it was good for ducks, but not for people swimming. The indoor swimming pool was nice but very small. I didn't have a towel in my room when I arrived so when we went for our walk, I asked the receptionist for one. Went out for more than an hour, came back and there were still no towel. Called reception to say my towel was still not in my room, and she said that she would send someone over straight away. It took another hour for someone to give me towels, and the young man said: did you ask for extra towels? Well no actually, they are not extra, I didn't have any. By that time I already had my shower and had too dry with what I could from my weekend bag, as I had to get ready to go to the theatre.
that is quite bad service. Rooms should be ready, and that includes towels, and if anything is missing, then it should be brought to the room as soon as the guest asks for it. It shouldn't take 2 hours to get a towel in a hotel that size.
My friend's single room was even smaller than mine, which is not a problem if you stay for a night or 2 and you plan on being in the room just to sleep. But there was a very strong smell of humidity. It didn't come from the bed, but most probably from the carpet. The weather was fabulous that weekend and it was extremely hot, but opening the window did not help with the smell. I don't know if the carpet had just been cleaned and it hadn't had time to dry completely, or if there was humidity in the room, but it was terrible.
The bar served food until really late, so that was one good point for our party. And the breakfast was good. I wasn't offered more coffee though which I thought was a let down.
I had taken photos to show the very simple room, but unfortunately I lost the files when my computer crashed last week.
I really think this is quite expensive. It is a hotel, but it is not as good as most B&Bs I have stayed in so far. Not impressed. I will go back to Bournemouth but stay in a B&B.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends