“Nothing to shout about”
Review of Hinton Firs Hotel

Hinton Firs Hotel
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel for a long Valentine's weekend. We had treated ourselves to to concerts at the O2 Bournemouth (20 mins walk away). We chose this hotel because it was close-ish to the venue and becuase there was parking and things to do on a rainy day. We were given room 71. This was a lovely big sized room. The bathroom was small but had everything we needed. HOWEVER, we were dissapointed. The cleanliness of the bathroom was average as there were hairs near the shower and the top part of the door in the bathroom was covered in dust and fluff, and upon picking up one of the towels we found a big makeup mark with some foundation powder stuck to it. The bathroom smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. With a little spray of perfume this dissapeared for a short while. Our first night in this room was disaster. The curtains were partially hanging off the curtail rail. There was a door just ourside the bedroom window (we were on the ground floor overlooking part of the hotel carpark which was also the delivery yard for the hotel) which kept banging in the wind over night. There is also some sort of laundry room and at 1am the hum of the washing machine spins could be heard. The following morning we asked to be changed to another room. We were given room 72 next door. This room was better in that it faced the little garden at the from of the hotel. However, we were dissapointed with this room also but not as much as we were with room 71. It was smaller and the bathroom is a wet room. The blinds in the bathroom were not fully functional and there was such a damp smell coming from there that the trusted perfume spray was used again. Upon getting into bed - two single beds pushed together which made a spuerking sized bed)- we found that the mattress was covered in a double sized flat sheet, leaving the sides of the mattress exposed. That said, the indoor pool was ok, was was the sauna. The shower / changing room was filthy with hairs in the plug hole in the shower. The hotel also has a selection of massage treatments and I wanted to treat my fiance as he had to drive us all of the time that we needed the car to get anywhere. Unfortunately the treatment were only for women. The only thing we had no complaints about was the fact that we would play pingpong on the rainy days and the breakfast was ok too. We gave up complaining and spent whatever time we could out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take 71 and make sure that the right sheet has been used to cover the mattress. Rooms over...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrGi0

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed in room 38 and I was feeling cold when I had to take shower because wind was blowing through window and I even didn't want to stay long in shower or even take bath. I turn on towel heater but it didn't warm bathroom enough, temperature in room was lovely.
I personally think it would be nice to have music in pool and sauna so you could relax more and if you are alone don't feel lonely, enjoy time you are spending. But this is just my suggestion.
Despite this I really enjoyed my stay and want to say THANK YOU for lovely time I had.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I don't usually do reviews but thought I had better so others know not to go to this hotel. We did go on an offer of £60 for b&b so can't really complain too much! Main bug bear is that I called before I booked and was assured the jacuzzi was nice and hot. Was very excited about this but when we got there it was not hot! It was same temp as pool. I complained and they did give us free dinner. Hotel and Restaurant was almost empty no atmosphere and dinner very 1970s:) felt like being in faulty towers. Decor very tired and cheap wobbly furniture. Had to change rooms as bed soooo uncomfy. Staff we generally really sweet and I felt a bit sorry for them. Spent most of our time at the Cumberland hotel bar, that is a great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nites from the 21st feb 2014 until 23rd feb 2014 with a party of 40 from our church. No one had any complaints the service was fantistic the rooms were clean the beds were very comfortable. The swimming pool was warm and nice. Breakfast was very good lots
Of choice. The evening meals were brilliant best food i have had in a long while. I shall be returning with my partner in the near future and wigh the church.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 70 i was over the moon how the room was the double bed was comfortable the bathroom was lovely no problems the food was gawjus the staff were helpful in every possible way.The indr swimming pool was lovely and warm gonna stay there again no faults. Five min walk to the beach parking good.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is my 6th visit to this hotel and it will not be my last. This hotel is deffinatley one to stay at if you ever visit Bournemouth. Myself and my partner stayed in room 36 as we did last year. Last year the bathroom was a bit tired and could have done with a little tlc so on entering the room this year we were so pleased to see that there was a new bathroom suit, new curtains and new furnishings throughout the whole room. This made our stay here even better!. What can I say about the food, well there is only one word I can say EXCELLENT!!!!!. Each year we as the classic mini owners club fill the hotel and every meal time there is at least 60 people to feed all at one time but I can honestly say that the service is superb, we do not have to wait and I still to this day do not know how they produce such good quality and variety of food on such a large scale. I would be hard pushed to find any hotlel in Bournemouth that delivers such good service on every level. Keep up the good work Hinton Firs Hotel!!!!. We are looking forward to next year already!!!.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are in the process of being updated so any room is going to be good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night on a Goupon deal, with cream tea and dinner included. I must say we had a fabulous stay.
The staff are really friendly and helpful and for dinner we had the best lamb we have ever tasted.
Yes the hotel and bedrooms need a little love, but overall a wonderful experience and a lovely little hotel!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends