“i liked it..........”
Review of Hinton Firs Hotel

Hinton Firs Hotel
Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 April 2014

visited this hotel last month, (march2014)
on arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, given tea coffee and cake and even a glass of bubbly too!.. we bought this as a deal on wowcher and got the deal for 2 nights bed and breakfast. Room was on the 2nd floor where there was a lift for use. The room was well spaced and comfortable. en suit bathroom with a separate shower too, tv and tea making facilities. The exterior of this lovely hotel was nice, clean and looked after. down a street within reach of the town and beaches. approx. 10 minute stroll.
The reception staff were lovely and friendly and were helpful too.
The hotel has a bar, offers meals ad room service. has a laundry room so you can use an iron if needed. There is a lovely entertainment room with ample seating too. a pool table and slot machines.
on a down note the wimming pool outside isn't fit to swim in, one gentleman even commented to my partner that the outside pool was like that last year, I noted the pool was over hung by trees so its no surprising that the pool has leaves etc... needs a good clean. The indoor pool was lovely and warm and the spa was good. again the only thing that let the pool indoors down was that it could do with some TLC as there were little things that we noticed needed attention, but we used it anyway with no problem.
The breakfast was nice, well cooked and presented. Two lads served with no problem, although the one did do a bit of moaning as people were just sitting where they wanted and not in room order and he did seem abit "stroppy" but we found this quite funny and had a good giggle about it.
The walls are thin though and the neighbours were noisy, luckily I take ear plugs as we could hear the whole conversations and they came in at 3 am which wasn't nice.. but they were on holiday too I guess...
would we go back?.. most definitely!!.. this is a lovely hotel, the age of the property and decor etc..only adds to its uniqueness as far as we are concerned... we enjoyed our stay and thank you to the staff for making our stay a good one.

Room Tip: only tip is take ear plugs if your a light sleeper like me
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hinton Firs Hotel

Reviewed 23 March 2014

If you want bells whistles and all mod cons, this is not the hotel for you.
If you want good old fashioned helpful service, a warm room, a genial old gate lift and an authentic family run hotel, then I can recommend the Hinton Firs. I stayed on business on varying nights for over two months. I was always met with a smile and courtesy at reception - something that some of the surly reception staff on various hotels that overlook the sea could learn from - nothing was too much trouble. Checking in and checking out were easy and fast. The rooms need a bit of a refurbish, but everything works and above all in the weather we were having at that time, they were warm. In my experience, and I stayed in three different rooms, each one was clean, and for a single traveller, cosy. Parking is easy and the spa is relaxing. When I used it, the spa was clean. Over my six month visit to Bournemouth I stayed in a number of hotels with varying degrees of customer service. And that's where the Hinton Firs wins hands down. No it isn't perfect - but its pluses far outweigh the negatives.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aslaners
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A classic old fashioned English Hotel: but it's very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. I went there overnight on a business trip, needed breakfast at 7.30 am, it normally doesn't start until 8am, but they opened the breakfast room early for me!

I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel for a long Valentine's weekend. We had treated ourselves to to concerts at the O2 Bournemouth (20 mins walk away). We chose this hotel because it was close-ish to the venue and becuase there was parking and things to do on a rainy day. We were given room 71. This was a lovely big sized room. The bathroom was small but had everything we needed. HOWEVER, we were dissapointed. The cleanliness of the bathroom was average as there were hairs near the shower and the top part of the door in the bathroom was covered in dust and fluff, and upon picking up one of the towels we found a big makeup mark with some foundation powder stuck to it. The bathroom smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. With a little spray of perfume this dissapeared for a short while. Our first night in this room was disaster. The curtains were partially hanging off the curtail rail. There was a door just ourside the bedroom window (we were on the ground floor overlooking part of the hotel carpark which was also the delivery yard for the hotel) which kept banging in the wind over night. There is also some sort of laundry room and at 1am the hum of the washing machine spins could be heard. The following morning we asked to be changed to another room. We were given room 72 next door. This room was better in that it faced the little garden at the from of the hotel. However, we were dissapointed with this room also but not as much as we were with room 71. It was smaller and the bathroom is a wet room. The blinds in the bathroom were not fully functional and there was such a damp smell coming from there that the trusted perfume spray was used again. Upon getting into bed - two single beds pushed together which made a spuerking sized bed)- we found that the mattress was covered in a double sized flat sheet, leaving the sides of the mattress exposed. That said, the indoor pool was ok, was was the sauna. The shower / changing room was filthy with hairs in the plug hole in the shower. The hotel also has a selection of massage treatments and I wanted to treat my fiance as he had to drive us all of the time that we needed the car to get anywhere. Unfortunately the treatment were only for women. The only thing we had no complaints about was the fact that we would play pingpong on the rainy days and the breakfast was ok too. We gave up complaining and spent whatever time we could out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take 71 and make sure that the right sheet has been used to cover the mattress. Rooms over...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrGi0
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed in room 38 and I was feeling cold when I had to take shower because wind was blowing through window and I even didn't want to stay long in shower or even take bath. I turn on towel heater but it didn't warm bathroom enough, temperature in room was lovely.
I personally think it would be nice to have music in pool and sauna so you could relax more and if you are alone don't feel lonely, enjoy time you are spending. But this is just my suggestion.
Despite this I really enjoyed my stay and want to say THANK YOU for lovely time I had.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I don't usually do reviews but thought I had better so others know not to go to this hotel. We did go on an offer of £60 for b&b so can't really complain too much! Main bug bear is that I called before I booked and was assured the jacuzzi was nice and hot. Was very excited about this but when we got there it was not hot! It was same temp as pool. I complained and they did give us free dinner. Hotel and Restaurant was almost empty no atmosphere and dinner very 1970s:) felt like being in faulty towers. Decor very tired and cheap wobbly furniture. Had to change rooms as bed soooo uncomfy. Staff we generally really sweet and I felt a bit sorry for them. Spent most of our time at the Cumberland hotel bar, that is a great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nites from the 21st feb 2014 until 23rd feb 2014 with a party of 40 from our church. No one had any complaints the service was fantistic the rooms were clean the beds were very comfortable. The swimming pool was warm and nice. Breakfast was very good lots
Of choice. The evening meals were brilliant best food i have had in a long while. I shall be returning with my partner in the near future and wigh the church.

• Stayed: February 2014