“Could be a lot better”
Review of Hinton Firs Hotel

Hinton Firs Hotel
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I feel there is a lot avaliable in hotel which if used could make it better so much ground floor space. I was there on quieter night so maybe unlucky. Anyways there were a few things which could have been better m I went out and returned at 10 had to wait a while before being let in even tho I could see somone sat in reception. I then asked if could get a drink from bar. Was told no its closed or wait til the night porter starts who was apparently getting changed. In morning I came for breakfast. Was told I wasn't on the list by waiter. I did book late so maybe reception forgot to add me mentioned this but ot was quiet an issue for him. Throughout my breakfast all I could hear was him complaining about me being there and not knowing about it and stresding he was busy and complaining he's alone to I can only guess being the owners sat at breakfast. Side note there was only 8 in the restaurant at the time.

So much needs improving and staff needed better attitudes

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for four nights June 19th to June 23rd 2014. Let me say now that I am quite surprised to read many of the bad reports that have been put on this site concerning Hinton Firs Hotel. Judging by the very bad grammar and spelling by these people I think their comments should not be taken seriously!!

Our room number 47 was spacious and clean as was the bathroom with ample supply of clean towels hand and bath lotion. The milk - coffee and teabags were replenished daily without having to ask for them. We were on a bed and breakfast basis and I have to say that full English breakfast was delicious and plentiful. As for the waiting staff - during our stay we were looked after by Josh and Issac who were smartly dressed and very very polite.As for the reception staff - always friendly and helpful in particular Lauren.

Food in the evening is available from The Manhattan Bar from 5pm to 7.45 which is very nice and good value for money!

We first stayed at this hotel in 2002 and yes it has matured and aged over the years - but haven't we all? Yes the outside swimming pool did look a bit murky but was not life threating.

Can I point out to any future visitors when you arrive in reception you will more than likely see and elderly gentleman sat on the settee reading his newspaper - you will also see him arrive every morning just before 8am and he will be sat in the far left hand corner of the dining room having breakfast. If the food is good enough for him it should be good enough for you - as he is the owner!! If you have a complaint speak to some one about it and not write an anonymous report - be fair - but be truthful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank margaret4670
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is my second review of a hotel that I have ever posted on Tripadvisor. The first thing that you will notice when you arrive at Hinton Firs is the outside pool. On its website the picture of the pool is beautiful. Clean, blue and surrounded by well manicured plants and shrubs. In reality, it is dark green, fifthly stagnant water surrounded by dead plants and unkempt garden foliage. In my estimation it would be dangerous to attempt a swim, it was that bad.Used baby nappies were in the full bins that lined the pool that were not emptied until the last day of our break. Which, incidentally, I think were emptied because some of the staff noticed I was taking photographs of the pool and bins. Fag ends were everywhere outside. The surrounding paving slabs were filthy black. And would have taken only a few hours to pressure wash clean. The interior of the hotel has been described as tired. It is not tired it is in a coma. immediately what strikes you is the sadness of it all. Your heart sinks. The room was basic. Curtains hanging off their rings, toilet seat broken, dead bulbs in lamps, no milk for tea, no bath towels only hand towels, cheap nasty shower curtain, the bathroom blind would not go all the way down and left a twelve inch gap at the bottom of the window so that all of Bournemouth could view your bits. Overall, basic, cheap and unpleasant.
Food: Breakfast Okay. Dinner dreadful.
What can I say? I asked for a salad and I got one. A plate of leaves and tomatoes that my eleven year old could have tossed together. Again basic and poor. My partners meal was no better. The turkey was obviously cooked from frozen and the roast potatoes were no-frills cash and carry frozen ones. Yet their brochure boasts that all the food is locally sourced. And it probably is - from a local Bookers.
The tiny bar is depressing. Go to the Cumberland hotel which is a five minute walk along the front. It has a fantastic bar.

There is a heck of a lot more I could describe which is just basically wrong with this hotel. Needless to say, I will not be returning and certainly not with children.

Room Tip: Avoid! Book into the Cumberland Hotel instead!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tandem222
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here and were in the cottage part of the hotel. The whole cottage was a bit dated and in need of modernisation. Tote room was fine, a few cleaning/maintenance issues - light bulbs in some lights not working mentioned to reception but nothing done - but the room was big, beds comfy and adequate for our needs. The communal areas in the hotel were modernised and looked good, although again some bits needed updating. The lights in the ladies toilets were on timers and high up the wall - not good when the light went off and my 4 year old was stuck in the cubicle, locked in in the dark. The pool was small and very deep - 3 foot - 4.8 foot - so they needed lots of assistance but enjoyed it. The staff are all friendly and someone was always on exception. It's only 5 mins from the beach so ideal location. Overall I would go for this hotel if the rooms are on offer, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Priesty77
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel last weekend and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. The staff were friendly, our room was clean and spacious and the breakfast was delicious- great value for money! The location was perfect, near to the beach and the the areas restaurants and bars. We'd thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a trip to the seaside.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend in the Hotel we really liked it as it was very close to the beach it was nice as we parked our car in the hotel car park.
The hotel had a very friendly staff always smiling, the breakfast was I think from 7:30 to 9:30 but the staff would nicely take orders even after 9:30
Also the food portions were very generous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fardips f
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Hinton Firs hotel with my husband as part of a coach trip in April 2014. I was really dubious as I had read quite a few of the negative reports written here on trip advisor. On arrival we were greeted by the staff, our luggage was taken up to our room for us and we were given tea and coffee and made to feel very welcome. We thought the hotel very good and the reviews did not do it justice. Yes the hotel is starting to look a little tired in places and is getting ready for some TLC but that did not detract from the holiday, the beds and bathroom were clean and the beds comfortable. The staff were absolutely brilliant, nothing was too much trouble for them, if you needed anything you only had to ask . The food was very good, I am one of the worlds most funny and picky eaters but I had not trouble at all, we we're give a choice every day and there was always something I could eat. The outdoor pool sadly was bad though. It was really dirty and no one could use it, as was the patio area around it, It was a real shame as it would be a loverly area for a barbi or just relaxing with a drink. There was entertainment on at night, only bingo on a couple of nights but they also had a couple of singers come in as well. They really tried hard to make it all a success. I certainly would go back again. Thank you Hinton Firs for a loverly stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple