“5 star service, beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
London
“5 star service, beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

The Cumberland has good quality 3 star rooms then 5 star service and public areas. On arrival we were impressed with the decor of the lobby which was beautiful and decorated very tastefully for christmas. We ate in both restaurants and the food is fantastic in both of them, the breakfast was an excellent selection of food as well. The location is good with beautiful views of the Bournemouth pier and jurassic coast (on a clear day). The thing that makes this hotel are the staff and the managers who always seem to be on top of their department making sure it is running smoothly. I would particularly like to thank the girls at reception, who were all fantastic at dealing with any enquiries we had and all extremely sweet. Especially a girl called Rhianon who wen the further mile and had fantastic knowledge of the local area and always went out of her way to help us with anything we asked, she made our holiday even better by recommending some fantastic places to go. Overall a wonderful hotel and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who going to Bournemouth. The negative reviews really give the wrong impression of this wonderful hotel, ignore them and risk a stay at the Cumberland and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Sea view room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Thank you A J, its also a delight to see that what our mission statement says, delivers! We are proud to be the towns top 3 star hotel that delivers good food and 5 star service, I do hope to see you return soon and thank you for your post.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I recently stayed here with my sister. As a birthday treat for me we had booked a 1 night dinner bed and breakfast Groupon offer for a night of relaxation - but what we got was something else entirely.

Our first impression was great as we had upgraded to a seaview room, however, anyone who watches Four in a Bed would say that there were a fare few bodges around the room such as coving not finished properly adjoining the patio doors onto the balcony and the decor although modern, was tired with digs out of the wallpaper etc.

However, the problem was not actually with the room itself. At 07:30 we were awoken by heavy footsteps above us and as time went on it was obviously not guests getting ready for breakfast. The noise got steadily worse and as we went to breakfast we could clearly hear banging and someone stamping on the floor.

On the way to breakfast I spoke to who I believe was the hotel manager and he said he would investigate. On our way back from breakfast he told us that a workman had being laying carpet from 08:30. When I reminded him that we had been awoken at 07:30 he said he had checked and confirmed the work had only started from 08:30. We went back to our room thinking the noise would have stopped but it was just the same and continuing. I went back down to reception and spoke to 'the manager' again who to my amazement asked me if he should ask them to stop! I replied that it is what he should have told them to do when I first brought the matter to his attention. To add insult to injury all the double doors in the corridors of this hotel have a 'ssssh please be considerate of others' noise notice on them.

I returned to the room again and a little while after I received a phone call from someone else on reception who told me we could extend our stay and "they would do something for me" upon check out. By this time I was extremely upset and my sister and I packed our bags and left the room not wanting to stay any longer now, even though this was only around 10:30.

Upon check-out the couple standing behind heard my complaints to the manager as he was still not accepting the fact that the noise had started at 07:30. They confirmed that they had also heard the noise from that time onwards. I told the 'manager' that there should not be building work going on in a room above where guests are staying and his attitude was wholly unacceptable by not understanding this. I had asked for a full refund but was refused as I had booked through Groupon. Instead we were offered a discount on our next stay which everyone else seemed to be receiving on check out...as if we would want to stay here again?

The 'manager', I should have taken his name but unfortunately did not, did not seem to care at all about the reputation of the hotel when I told him I would write this review. Maybe he was not going to be at the hotel for long as this kind of work is seasonal.

If it was not for the noise and the non-existant customer service from this member of staff our stay would otherwise have been a pleasant one.

Room Tip: upgrade to seaview room, well worth it.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank glenda p
Dear Glenda P, First may I say that I am pleased that you did enjoy your stay until the morning of departure. Regarding your disagreement with the manager, I cannot understand your comments, I was here that day and was the person who booked in the replacement of 4 new carpets in rooms. The Carpet fittters began loading carpet into the elevator at 8.30pm, We are constantly making improvements at Cumberland and we do have a policy to do any works between 8.30am and 5.30pm when most of our guests are up and about and disturbances are limited. In order to keep improving we have to schedule works during these times.
You did yourself state you were attending breakfast shortly after this, Breakfast finishes at 9.30am weekdays so it was our thioughts that gusets would be awake and dressing by 8.30am . you also say you decided not to stay any longer than 10.30am due to the noise, although checkout is 11am.
Although I can only apologise for the disturbance, I do hope you understand our policy. It is also worthy to not that you did ask for a very heavy discount and also threatened a tripadvisor if discount was not received. TripAdvisor is a site that is available to the travelling public to post balanced reviews, not attain discounts.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Stayed at Cumberland for one night on 26th November 2011. A pleasant surprise after staying at an awefull pub in Weymout the previous night. Unbeleivably the owner of the pub wanted to charge the same price as the Cumberland although it was not ensuite and did not include breakfast. The room was also awewful. In contrast, the Cumberland was modern, with a
nicely decorated bedroom and ensuite bathroom. The decor in the bar, dining rooms and breakfast area was first class. The Xmas decorations which were present in every room, were outstanding and gave a real ambience to the rooms. The staff (who incidentally were mostly Polish) were extremely friendy and attentive. We had a social Xmas dinner and the food was very good.The only downside to the Cumberland (and most people agreed) was that every room was uncomfortably hot!!

Room Tip: Try not to get one at back of hotel or on first floor. It was very noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear happy guest, I am delighted we were able to provide a great stay after your dissapointment in Weymouth. Regarding the hot function suite, we have scheduled air conditioning to be fitted in our 2012 budget to all function rooms and restaurants.
This coming month we are replacing all bedroom doors and locks with a state of the art system and are continually improving. One small point I feel I must correct you on is the nationality of our staff, We do have a small number of Polish staff, however the majority are from many European Countries southern and easter, as well as South America.
My staff will be thrilled with your review and I do hope you come and stay again soon.
Peacehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Stayed here for 7 nights, our first impression.on entering ,this is a business hotel not a holiday hotel,how wrong we were,the room we were given was very spacious,side sea view nice tv and also very clean,the breakfast was one of the best we have had in thye u/k,one drawback if you are arriving by car is the lack of parking spaces although parking on the road is possible pay during the day, a really great location,we would recommend a stay at this art deco style hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fabian90
Dear traveller, thanks for a super review, all the more valuable after a 7 night stay. The hotel caters to both business and Leisure guests, and we like to think we have something for everyone. Parking is first come first served with 55 spaces and plenty of on street parking in front of the hotel on the clifftop. Hope to see you again soon.
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

we stayed here 2 nights from 25th november, 75 of us in total which included 4 children.Reception were very efficient at booking us in and making sure we knew what time to have evening meal and breakfast and in which rooms.Friday nights evening meal had great choice and was served quickly (no mean task feeding us all at once)the children were well catered for.We had a disco and were happy for anyone in the hotel to come and join us.
Breakfast saturday was servered until 10 oclock for those who want a lie in.Lots to choose from both hot and cold .
Saturady night was party night and the room and tables really did looked as if christmas had come early.Again food was servered quickly nothing being to much trouble ,the wine waiters were also on top of making sure our glasses were kept filled up !

The only complaint from our party was the couple in the next bedroom who found it necessary to shout and swear down the phone to complain to reception about the noise from the disco !! The famlies who brought the children to the party weeknd had no complaints about the noise .(and they were taken to bed early in the evening ).
This was our 6th year staying at the cumberland for our christmas party weekend and many of our party including us have stayed at the cumberland many different times through out the year ,so the hotel must be doing something right.
A very big thank you to all the staff for making our christmas party a very big success

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear happy guest, thank you so much for such a great comprehensive review of your stay. It delights us all to see guests returning 6 consequetive years, which is since our initial refurbishment in 2006. I can only apologies for the shouting and swearing from Dennis N in the room next door. It is very difficult to control peoples behaviour once in their own rooms, however once alerted we can remove them from the hotel. Look foward to welcoming you back next year if not before.
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights from 14 November 2011. Impressed by the location and outside art-deco appearance, and the welcome that we received at reception even though we were earlier than the advertised room availability. We had room 211 which had a queen size and a single bed, 3 built-in wardrobes, easy chairs, 32 inch flat screen TV, and balcony with sea view. The room and bathroom were extremely clean.
Downstairs we found the public rooms were being decorated ready for the Christmas period, and this was being tastefully done to compliment the art -deco style.
We had prebooked evening meals in the Oceana restaurant, and found the head waiter and his staff all welcoming and friendly, and the menu varied with chef's specials on all courses.
The fish that we had on two evenings was probably the freshest and nicest we have ever had.
All of the food was well prepared and beautifully presented, with portions being very adequate.
Breakfast was a buffet arrangement, with a plentiful choice.
Overall we had a pleasant stay at the Cumberland, the only disappointment being that the evening entertainment was in the next door hotel, and as they had coach parties in residence there was never any seating available.
Based on this experience we will certainly use this hotel again when we are next in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just returned from the Cumberland Hotel, Bournemouth. We were booking through Groupon, but the hotel said they would match the price. We paid a little extra for a sea view room, it was lovely with a balcony and wonderful views. My only gripe were the vegetables with our inclusive dinner which were overcooked and also a bad choice to accompany Plaice with a sauce. Breakfast was a help yourself affair, great choice and cooked well. Staff from the moment we arrived were courteous and helpful. The hotel is decorated very well and on entering there was a really warm friendly feel. A great night away. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for sea views
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Happy Guest, Thank you for a super review, I am so pleased you found all staff corteous and friendly. We do have intensive staff training and are very particular about employment in regards to people who love the hospitality industry. I will mention to Chef regarding the vegetables and thank you for your comments. Hope you return again soon.