“Another fantastic stay”

Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London
“Another fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

It's our last night of another fantastic stay at The Cumberland. We really cannot praise this hotel highly enough. From the great rooms, the superb lounge, first class food and fantastic staff, this hotel exceeds all expectations. Thanks again to Helder and his team for making our stay so great. If you are looking for a hotel to stay in Bournemouth, look no further. This is where you should stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,109)
basingstoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We go to the Cumberland every year on a shift christmas party weekend for Portals workers and again this year was not a disapointment ,the Hotel was deced out with beautiful decorations and lighting,our room had been re decorated in red and black. The food was of the highest quality we stayed on a BB/EM basis , staff great in all areas of the hotel .The evening meal was served quickly and very hot all thanks to the girls and boys who seved us.Thanks to all cant wait till next christmas.

Room Tip: We always have a seafacing room with a balcony a little dearer but worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
St Helier, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I arrived very late after a cross channel ferry journey, approx 1am but the bar area was still abuzz on a Friday night, although just ready for closing. As it was late didn't get much chance to discover the hotel, but roomwas easy to find, single room but adequate but the shower unit
the following morning I found unworkable. Breakfast room was busy but quick service and good selection from the buffet and a very jovial restaurant manager overseeing made the mood on a very wet and dark day amiable

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

This was one of the poorest hotels we have stayed in.The bathroom was awkward to get into, up 3 steps at an angle, the shelf was so narrow we feared things would fall off with difficulty you might get 2 glasses and a toothbrush on it.The shower was one of the most ackward to use I have come across, the water was only slightly warm and the towel rail not even slightly warm.
Poor selection of tea/coffee/biscuits. the latter two tiny flat ones about 5cm long. There was no shoe cleaning pads or tissues in the room.
There is a very small lift max. 3 people (and then you were squashed) for a large hotel.
The breakfast was buffet. The water jug had a crack down it. One day the cups were dirty and we had to ask them to replace them. The cold ham appeared to have come back out day after day there were not many takers. Many other items ran out although we were down for breakfast early every day

Room Tip: Don't - go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank hallamshire
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Hallamshire, I am sorry that you found the Cumberland to your dislike. I always speak as I find and I do have to say that not only is there not a single positive coment with your post, it also appears that your expectations are that of at least a 4 star if not 5 star hotel.The Cumberland is Dorsets highest rated 3 star property at 88%. Items such as shoe cleaning and tssues are not found in 3 or even 4 star hotel bedrooms, Buffet breakfasts are served in even 5 star properties these days which seasoned travellers would know. You mention items not being available all the time. During quiter January months we dont leave excesssive buffet items lying around and often cook fresh as and when guest arrive for Breakfast, the hotel is not a fast food venue! I can guarantee that you nor other guests where ever without the full choice of Breakfast. I cannot comment on your water, as you did not report this at the time of your stay or anything else for that matter. I can state we have 3 maintenance engineers on site and any issues are dealt with quickly and seemlessly when and if reported!
You have chosen to highlight every thing that in your opinion disappointed you about the Cumberland, without consideration for such things as staff, customer service or food.. Tripadvisor is an excellent tool when used in the correct way! I cannot help but state that for your January Sale rate of £59 for two people with breakfast, you unrealistically expected a lot more than is possible to provide at that cost. Its also a shame you did not extend to the managers on duty at all tmes throughout your stay any issues or disappointments that would have been dealt with in a proffessional and courteous speedy way, even if it meant showing you a room that did not have steps to the bathroom or a larger shelf. You gave us no opportunity to do this. We always put our guest needs and requirements at the forefront of our strategy, and will literally do anything within our power to please our guests, although I cannot re-invent the wheel for those who have totally unrealistic expectations or indeed dont give us any opportunity to look at alternatives!
Denia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

My partner and I have just enjoyed a four nights' stay in this hotel for Christmas. The room was very comfortable and warm but the only word you can use for the food is FANTASTIC. The Staff were very friendly and the 'boys and girls' in the dining room worked extremely hard to make sure everyone was served quickly and efficiently. It was nice to be able to sit and enjoy a bottle of wine and a lovely meal without a lot of noise around you. There is only one lift but we did not mind going up and down the stairs as we felt we needed the exercise after all the food we consumed over Christmas. The only other drawback is the parking but, again, I did not mind paying for parking on the road outside as I was driving a hire car and did not want to get it damaged. This was my first visit to England since 2007 and although the weather was not good, I still think Bournemouth takes a lot of beating and would like to return again in the future, perhaps with better weather, and I woulld not hesitate to book in the Cumberland again. I wish a Happy New Year to all the lovely Staff there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mayflower97
KevinWood, Guest Relations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Mayflower97,

Thank you very much for your candid view of a recent stay at the Cumberland hotel.
Our staff are by far our biggest asset and we place huge emphasis on proper training and care for our team.

I am sorry you felt that the parking was a draw back. We have supplemental parking in our two sister hotels (The Suncliff and Cliffeside hotels).

I am glad to read that you would return to us upon a future visit to England.

Happy New Year on behalf of all the team at the Cumberland hotel in Bournemouth

Andrew Potter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I came to the Cumberland for the third time for our works christmas party recently but this was the first time that I had booked a room. I got there early and checked in straight away so I could relax before the evenings festivities.

At first I was put in a pokey room right next to the elevator shaft on the 3rd floor which was noisy from the movement of the elevator, but I talked to the desk staff and they switched my room straight away to a much nicer room.

The meal itself was amazing and the staff both desk and service were exceptional. I had an amazing time as always and it was such a nice room to go back to after I'd had a few (easy to find too ;) )

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Stephen W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Christmas party at the Cumberland hotel.

I am glad your room was changed quickly and without question, we always aim to resolve any
issues to the satisfaction of our guests.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your meal too. Our food is regularly commended and I am glad to see this reflected in your posting,

I look forward to your next visit.

Kevin Wood
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Staff fantastic, Food Fantastic and the cocktails to die for.....Thanks for a great break. Only one critscism is the print on the menu is very hard to read. Have a good party on sunday guys you all deserve it

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Bmthgirl,

Thank you for your brief yet positive review of the Cumberland hotel and it’s facilities.

I have noted your points of the menu print. I do hope that you will return for another cocktail for two soon.

P.S. The staff party was a huge success, thank you ;-)

Andrew Potter