“Surprise birthday party in function room, followed by an overnight stay”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I booked a surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday the first bank holiday in May, we had the function room from 19:30-0100. First impressions of the hotel are lovely location amazing decor and very helpful reception area staff. Although I managed to pop in a couple of times due to me working overseas most of the party was arraigned in the initial meet and in emails, but each time I did make it in to the hotel Lisa (events manager) was around to answer any questions. The night was well organised by the staff the buffet received good comments from the guests, the house DJ was very good and had a good report with the guests too. One small negative was that although it was a private function I twice had to ask uninvited people to leave. Maybe if there was a sign on the doors stating it was a private function that may not happen? This may well normally be the case but as it was a surprise party the signs may not have been used? The party guests share the main bar with hotel guests and the public which could get busy, leading to 10-15 waits at some points. If a small area at on end of the bar was for party guests with 1-2 dedicated bar people it may have been quicker. The bar prices were at the top end of what people will pay, but I guess that's because it is a nice venue.
We stayed overnight the same night in a sea view with balcony room. I have no complaints about the room what so ever. Nice decor, very spacious comfortable bed just what we needed after a good party. The buffet breakfast was also included and again no complaints lots of choice poached eggs were orders and were there by the time I'd walked back to our table. Over all a wonderful venue brilliant staff I would highly recommend the Cumberland hotel Bournemouth for a stay or a function.

• Stayed: May 2013
KevinWood, Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear Pugwash265,

Many thanks for writing such a lovely review. We are very pleased that your event went well. The Oceana Suite is a great function room, and your comments have not gone unnoticed. We will review. Compliments regarding the buffet and the DJ, thank you. Our resident DJ always gets the crowd going! We hope to welcome you back to the Cumberland again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed at the Cumberland twice this year so far and would definitely recommend it as a base for visiting bournemouth. The rooms are a little dated and could do with some updating but the bar/restaurant areas more than make up for this. The decor in the bar is so inviting you never want to leave, their cocktail menu is varied and good value. The staff are so welcoming especially Carlos who couldn't do enough for us and was so friendly and professional - an asset to the hotel. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Luckyp1987
KevinWood, Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Luckyp1987,

Thank you for your review! Very pleased that you recommend us, and comment on our customer service. Carlos is very chuffed, so thank you from him. We are very proud of the bar/lounge areas, and yes they are a great place to sit back and enjoy a cocktail. See you soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Noisy. Friday and Saturday akin to living in a kettle drum.
Complain. Staff response, smiling indifference.
Rooms basic and tatty.
They state that they have spent an enormous amount of money on refurbishment. Certainly not the bathrooms and bedrooms.
Decided not to dine as the service and quality might have been to the standard og the main hotel.

Used for hen and stagg avoid if possible

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank John T
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Guest, I am sorry you did not find The Cumberland to your liking. It is Bournemouth s highest rated 3 star hotel at 88 % and does have one of only 5, 2 Rosette Restaurants in Bournemouth. Most of our rooms are of a good size, but we do have some budget singles and doubles which are smaller and sold with price to reflect this. We do not have any tatty rooms, and our food is locally renowned for being of extremely high quality for your information. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife and I needed a decent break so after looking at the reviews on TA we opted for this hotel, it was a little bit over our budget but we thought we'd treat ourselves. First impressions we're that it was in a good location and was certainly clean. The check in was efficient but not friendly still no matter all I wanted to do was get to my room and relax. Cramped into the very small life(maximum 3 persons !!) and trundled up to the 3rd floor, and got to our room , wow it was small , much smaller than any other hotel room I've been in.
Still I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time in the room so I was disappointed but not that much, had a wash then went out to see what Bournemouth had to offer. We came back about 12 ish and as there was a party going on there were quite a few people around as we were both tired we decided to go to bed and get some much needed sleep.
But it was not to be, firstly we kept getting woken up by the other guests returning to their rooms , but the whole hotel seems to creak and rattle, I suppose it’s the old lifts. Then just when we drifted off I was woken at 6 am by the air conditioning units at the back being switched on, they really made a racket ! I lay in bed and tried to ignore the noise which I did ! until I was woken at 9 am by room service asking me if they could come in to change the room. I mean seriously 9 am on a Saturday morning !!! OK now I wasn’t in a good mood so we both decided that we should get up and have breakfast and make the most of a bad job .

Ahh breakfast the most important meal of the day , perhaps if the breakfast was good that might make up for the lack of sleep, suffice to say it didn’t . The dining area itself is quite nice and the staff were efficient but not friendly but since it’s a buffet that wasn’t that important. The cooked food was mediocre, the sausages were cheap and tasted like they had been cooked then reheated, the bacon was inedible , undercooked and very fatty, the mushrooms and eggs were OK but I didn’t go back for seconds ! Again there were loads of staff all running round in their little uniforms but no one stopped to ask if we were OK , maybe I could have asked for the bacon to have been cooked properly but they were just too busy doing something else.

OK so no sleep, bad breakfast the only thing I wanted to do was to get more sleep, my wife went out for a walk and I tried to make up for last night. Got into the room about 10.30 , it hadn’t been made up , no problem I put the do not disturb sign on the door and settled down to sleep. No luck the room service knocked on the door again asking me if I wanted changing yet – NO THANK YOU was my reply, but now there was so much banging by the room staff that the concept of sleep was fast disappearing so I decided to take a bath. The water was OK but TBH it was warm rather than hot, adequate but just adequate. Then I tried to get back to sleep again and success,until room service rang me up to ask if they could change the room– I kid you not I mean seriously for whose benefit is the hotel run for , as I paying guest I would have thought it would have been mine but no obviously the machine like staff have other ideas – as long as their job is done it doesn’t seem to matter what I think ! Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse the phone rang again Room staff don’t take no for an answer , didn’t even bother to pick it up , I realised that I want going to get any relaxation so I did the only thing I could do I retreated to the bar.

Most of the money seems to have been spent on the downstairs and although not my taste I is quite well done , the bars prices were high but not unreasonable, £ 4.10 for a larger. I sat there and tried to take in the ambience, there was a wedding going on and at the table next to me was the manager talking to another couple about weddings, she was doing quite a hard sell , talking for well over an hour ( I didn't have much else to do but listen - sorry !) . Then it stuck me this place doesn’t care about me or the sort of market I represent , all they care about is the wedding market, guests turn up get drunk in the bar, stagger off drunkenly to bed where they won't notice the noise then turn up for breakfast too hung over to notice the rubbish food that it being served –

Nice work if you can get it !!

Anyway we spent the last night there and TBH it was as bad as the first night , although this time because the walls were so thin we could hear the couple next door to us having sex, at least someone was getting some pleasure for this miserable dump ! Up with the service staff at 9 am the next day ( Sunday ) , down for a breakfast of Weetabix and a cup of tea ( for £ 8 – bargain !) then checked out by the efficient and unfriendly staff – they didn’t even bother to ask me if I had a good stay !
I'm sorry to have gone on so long but this hotel really doesn’t have anything to recommend it . small rooms, noisy at night , robotic staff, bad food and to top it all I paid £ 130 a night for this . total total rip off .

Let me put it this way if I was offered a free stay here I honesty wouldn’t take it , I will never stay in that hole again !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Ali A
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Dear Ali A, I had to read your review several times to try and understand what created such a nasty and totally negative attack on the staff and team at the hotel and with reference to your heading, over a thousand reviews beg to differ. You use such words as "trundle" , "hole" and "dump" , which i believe fortunately that the travelling public will see are nothing more than uneducated, rude and vindictive.
The only part of your review worthy of investigating was the kitchen fans starting up at 6am, they should actually start up at 8am, apologies for this.
Your cynical suggestions regarding the management of this hotel could not be farther from the truth, and thank goodness the travelling public for the most part have recognized this! The manager you talk of was actually a Sales Person from our sales department, not a hard sell from a manager. Yes we do have many weddings through our reputation for good food and service locally, and make no apology for this. Our functions end at 1am with a good night sleep policy in effect from Midnight, this is not long after you yourself returned to the hotel from a night out. It may surprise you to know, that on a weekend in Bournemouth, there are many paying weekend guests returning to rooms late at night, just like many other venues in town, Bournemouth is a lively resort town, especially at weekends.
In your own admission the staff were not rude, yet efficient and as you are fully aware pleasant, but even this observation you choose to ridicule. I apologise for the calls to you room regarding servicing. We DO care about our guests and obviously on this occasion the staff were overzealous in attempting to ensure you had a clean room and fresh towels. You make assumptions that other guests may be hungover, I cannot help but think there is a reason for these thoughts?
I summary, you need not ever worry about being offered a free stay at this dump, it would be the last thing on anyone's mind at this hotel, I would not inflict you on any of my hard working and dedicated staff a second time. I can categorically say that customer service is our forte, and not once during yours stay did you make any of your disappointments known to the 5 Mangers who are constantly on duty from 7am till 2am, this is fact, instead you chose to slope away and post this vile attack, Fair is fair, and your post is nothing more than a vindictive rant.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed with friends for three nights from 9th to12th May. Booked seafront rooms and were upgraded on arrival to 4th floor. What was particularly impressive was the staff team, all very friendly and dealt with any requests immediately. Rooms were fine although the showers were a bit antiquated. Food on set menu was very good and generous portions.
All in all, a very good stay and we would go again - the best recommendation!

Room Tip: Both 407 and 408 were good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear CroftWelshMarches,

We proud ourselves in delivering excellent customer service. Many thanks for your review, the team will be proud reading it.
Thank you.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

lovely art deco hotel relaxing lounge and lovely dining room food very good staff helpful and attentive, lovely afteernoon three tier tea scones cakes etc we had room with balcony above lounge which unfortunately had the sound of piped music base was too loud there was a wedding taking place and music went on until 12 oclock ask for a room on top floor

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room if u dont want t hear base music from lounge
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear concertfans,

Thank you for posting a great review! Lovely comments about the staff, food and the hotel itself. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Having visited the hotel, several times before our wedding day it's fair to say that I thought that I knew what to expect.. I was wrong.. But for the best.. The hotel decor is fantastic, food and service second to none and bridal suite brilliant. I can't really fault a thing and a big thank goes out to everyone at the hotel that made our day so special.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear MrandMrsCandy,

Congratulations! Great to hear you were very happy. Thank you for a great a review. All the best for the future, and we hope to see you back at the Cumberland again soon.