“First class in every way”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Everything, from the moment we arrived, to handing back our key card was just excellent. Room, staff, food, cleanliness, facilities, location we could not fault. We had a family room with an amazing view from the front of the hotel, overlooking the pool and the sea front, with Bournemouth Pier and the town centre just a short walk along the front.
I would not hesitate in recommending the Cumberland as the perfect place to stay for a family holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ianmgee
There are newer reviews for The Cumberland Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had our wedding at the Cumberland Hotel in August, it is a great location for a wedding. It was a brilliant day and all the staff were fantastic. An extra big thank you to Ali and Edwardo who made our day run very smoothly, you were amazing. The food and service throughout our stay was great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MLandML
KevinWood, Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear MLandML

Great review, and so pleased that you had a brilliant day! Thank you for your review, and I know the special mentions will be rewarding to read.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Firstly I would like to thank the member of the management for taking the time to point out I had a flat tyre on my car on Tuesday morning before I left and using his car pump to inflate it for me.
We stayed at the hotel from Friday to Tuesday and had a great time.
The breakfast was excellent and the restaurant adjacent to the bar had a high calibre of food. My steak on both nights was cooked to perfection and was of excellent quality and presentation.
I am in a similar trade myself so now I come to the saff that worked in the restaurant and bar the weekend I was there.
From Friday to Sunday tea time I have never seen such industrious and capable staff. If they were not serving you as quickly and as attentively as possible they were cleaning and making sure that everything was clean an presentable.
However,ad this was not a problem that was the end of the world but the bar staff tat took over on Sunday evening were nowhere near as capable and attentive as the previous shifts.
One order went in for two Irish coffees from the restaurant and was asked for again twenty minutes later but was still not served fifteen minutes later.
The bar men were adrift and this was the only time I waited to be served.they were nowhere near as good as the staff that had run the bar on the previous two nights. Maybe the best staff are kept for the times they are more productive.
One pint of lager was on the bar for fifteen minutes before it was finally taken to the customer. By then it was flat and I'm sure lukewarm .
I am not complaining as this did not involve me but being in the business it was so evident that it was like being in a different hotel on Sunday evening.
Also the lager need more pressure it's running flat but please take that as an observation rather than a criticism as the weekend and the hotel were first class. I would have no problem returning or recommending he Cumberland to anyone.
so thank you fr an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank onthecase25
KevinWood, Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear onthecase25,

Thank you for a super review. Excellent feed back on the staff work etiquette and customer service.
Your comments regarding the larger pressure, I will convey this over to Bar Manager to have a look into.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Cumberland is as much an experience as a hotel visit.

The decor both in and out are a constant interest to any visitor from almost any part of the hotel. Outside it looks a classy building, even has a pool for the keen and the splashy.
Bar is good, good range of drinks, and plenty of lounges adjacent.

Dining, I don't usually stay in at night, though menu looked good. One night we stayed in the bistro next to the bar, food was very good indeed. Particularly the local made soup, yum.!!
Breakfast was a hearty experience, though the toaster calls for patience, there is a marvellous range of hot, and chilled continental breakfast fayre.

Rooms, stayed in a few, vary from small single cum-doubles, to reasonably spacious twin - doubles with ample storage and hanging space for a long stay. All clean, and bathrooms all pristine. Though i did hear a friend say that their plumbing was a bit noisy.. My pipes were all fine.

Always look forward to a stay at Cumberland, seriously well located. The beach close, good location for town, a short walk, and Boscombe pier not too far. Recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms are tasteful, you can't see the sea when youre asleep..
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear TrollHunterJager,

Thank you for your review. Great all rounded review of the hotel, thank you.

Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here one night during the "heatwave" of July 2013 (remember that?). One of the main reasons for choosing the Cumberland was the outdoor pool and we weren't disappointed. We arrived early to make full use of it and it was already busy, with many sunbeds "reserved" by towels draped over them (but no sign of occupants). However on closer inspection there were still plenty of spare sunbeds so we stripped off, ordered drinks from the bar, and made ourselves comfortable. Bliss! It was a school day so there weren't too many kids running riot, just the occasional yummy mummy with toddlers slurping on ice creams and wilting in the heat.

In between taking dips in the pool and more drinks we ordered lunch from the bar menu. My wife's Greek salad was excellent with plenty of tangy Feta cheese, just perfect on a hot day. I was starving by this point so went for the burger with all the trimmings - yum. So we settled down for the remainder of the afternoon, keeping topped up with cool drinks, people watching. My wife had read somewhere that the Cumberland was favoured by female same-sex couples and on closer inspection I suppose there were quite a few young ladies who appeared to be, erm, very friendly with each other.

By mid afternoon all the yummy mummies and toddlers had left, presumably to have their nap (the toddlers, not the yummy mummies) and their places were taken up by young adults. The atmosphere around the pool changed to party mood (it was a Friday afternoon), and none the worse for it with a good buzz.

As the afternoon threatened to tip into the evening, we reluctantly left our poolside perch and went to check in. The staff at reception were very professional and we were pleased to have a room on the first floor to spare my wife's knees. It was called the Monroe Room and guess what? Yep, wallcoverings featuring Marylin adorned our room. The room was clean, appeared to have been recently refurbished, and everything was in good working order but it was tiny. Only just enough room to squeeze a bedside table either side of the standard double bed. Going to the bathroom required some forward planning: chair and stool to move out of the way, wife to sit on bed or stand outside during manoeuvre. Had we been staying for longer we'd have asked to be moved but for one night we found it acceptable, given how good everything else was.

After an abortive walk into the town centre to find a restaurant with outside eating we returned to the hotel and had dinner on the patio overlooking the pool. Good move. As with lunch, the food was excellent, especially my lightly curried chicken skewers. We lingered over a bottle of wine, enjoying the balmy evening.

Finally, breakfast the next morning. Apart from a long queue for the toasting machine, everything faultless. Good selection of hot and cooked items, and efficient service.

Overall, an excellent experience. I'd have given it the full five blobs if it weren't for the tiny room. Perhaps had we booked earlier me might have got one, and paid a bit less, but it was still good value given the setting, the outdoor pool, the quality of the food, and the overall excellent service.

Room Tip: Avoid the Marylin Monroe room (unless you're travelling solo or are both very skinny)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John K

Dear John K,

Thank you for review. Very good comments regarding the hotel and the food. Thank you.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at hotel just for one night in August 2013. I had read some reviews on trip advisor but I thought I would add my own views. Hotel is in a lovely part of Bournemouth with beautiful views of the sea. The hotel is decorated throughout in Art Deco which is quirky yet interesting. The staff are very attentive and very polite. The cleaners are obviously hard working as the hotel is spotless. Nice swimming pool with plenty of seating and comfortable loungers. We didn't have dinner at the hotel as it was rather pricey choosing to go into town where there are numerous restaurants. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Now for the downside, the lift is tiny if you don't like small spaces use the stairs. Parking is limited but you can use the car park in the adjoining hotel. Standard rooms are really small I stubbed my toe a number of times just getting to the bathroom. I would recommend this hotel but pay a bit extra and get a larger room to save your toes!!x

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jill L
KevinWood, Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Jill L,

Thank you for review. Great compliments regarding the hotel and service.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Myself and my daughters had planned a surprise 50th tea party for my husband. We had ordered a whole range of different, typical tea party foods. Such as, scones, cakes, sandwiches etc. The standard was beyond excellent! The hotel had sectioned off part of the terrace as it was a private function which allowed us to all socialise. Everyone had thoroughly enjoyed the day! Thanks so much for all your help!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank juliaarden

Dear juliaarden,

Thank you for your super review regarding your surprise afternoon tea party. Delighted about your experience.

Hopefully we see you again soon.