This was my second trip to The Cumberland Hotel, as I visited with my husband and two children last October. I had no hesitation in returning (and will be back again!) - I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bournemouth now.
On this occasion, I went with a friend for a relaxing midweek spa break (to include dinner, bed and breakfast, afternoon tea and a spa treatment).
Top five good points:
1. The location - it's a stone's throw from the sea and a lovely walk into town - we walked there and back twice along the beach, on what was almost a summer's day, the weather was so amazing (for October, or even for summer in the UK!).
2. The theme - I love Art Deco styling and it feels luxurious just by virtue of all the mirrors and twinkling lights.
3. The staff - they're extremely friendly and helpful and genuinely care about your experience when staying there.
4. The spa - again, incredibly friendly staff, a really relaxing atmosphere and a fabulous massage!
5. Cocktails! They were very good indeed.
A couple of points for improvement (but nothing that would stop me returning):
1. The bathrooms are a bit tired - or were in the two rooms I've stayed in here. Having peeped into one of the other rooms as it was being cleaned just before we checked out though, I think they're being refurbished, so I hope that next time I go back, we'll get a nicer one! They're perfectly clean, but they could be improved.
2. The scones for the afternoon tea were a bit dry (as if frozen and defrosted, though one of the other people in the restaurant mentioned it very politely whilst we were there and was told this wasn't the case).
But that's being extremely picky and it shouldn't put you off visiting this hotel - we'll definitely be back, and maybe we'll try a different month next time (possibly one where we can use the outdoor swimming pool at the front of the hotel!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large Modern Resort style seafront 4 star hotel with 0ver 100 rooms, many rooms with ocean view and balcony or terrace. Two restaurants including Two AA Red rosette award winning Ventana Brasserie, Stylish and trendy Bar and Miami style lido deck with heated outdoor pool( May-Sept), summer BB!Q's and Chill Beds. The Art Deco style resort was Awarded Best large hotel 2009 in the Bournemouth Tourism Awards, is Bournemouth and Dorset's highest AA rated 3 star hotel at 88% in 2013 and also won several national excellence awards in 2011. Rooms are good quality 3 star rooms whilst service is exceptional with stunning public facilties. The Cumberland also has the facilty of an indoor leisure Sauna/Pool complex with squash courts and small gym ( bookable) at Suncliff right next door. Parking is 55 spaces free on a first come first served basis with on street parking in front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your The Cumberland Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cumberland Bournemouth
- Cumberland Hotel Bournemouth