The Cumberland Hotel
US$247
US$104
  • Pool
The Suncliff Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$64
  • Beachfront
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$52
Very Good 4/5
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$79
  • Pool
Ramada Encore Bournemouth(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$83
US$149
US$119
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$71
Very Good 4/5
Royal Exeter Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$100
Priceline
US$110
PremierInn.com
3,742 results
All reviewsart decomirabelle restaurantbrian robbinssea viewsister hotel next dooroutdoor poolpublic areaschristmas partytravelzoo dealsunday lunchthree starthe cliffcar parkcourse dinnernight breakair showshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We surprised our 65 year old friend with a weekend break at The Cumberland. We'd looked at the reviews and they all said the food was brilliant - it was! Four of us stayed and all agreed the evening meals and breakfasts were as good as we've had anywhere else. The hotel facilities are shared out between the three hotels in the chain, which are all next to each other. The pool is small(ish) and based in the next door hotel, so it was damm cold walking back to our rooms after a sauna and swim.
The rooms leave a great deal to be desired. Dated, small, TV kept freezing, old wardrobes, unbelievably noisy pipes and creaking floorboards. You heard every movemnet in the room above you and every movement in the adjoining bathroom (and I mean "movement"). The most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in (and I was in the Scouts!)
Overall, if you're wanting really great food, then go there. But if you are expecting a little bit of comfort, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: We moved rooms after the first night and between us had 4 different but none were any good!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jazzboogie
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Jazzboogie,

Thank you for review. Good comments regarding dining. Your comments are noted regarding other comments.

Sean Nell

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for one night on a Travelzoo offer. Incredible value for money and certainly an upmarket 3* hotel, which we did not expect as it is on the 'coach trip' circuit. Beautiful newly decorated room with plenty of hanging space and a lovely bathroom, although the shower could have been stronger. Besides the décor the thing which stood out for us in this hotel was the attitude of the staff. Everyone we had contact with was so polite and attentive, and even those who passed us in corridors including a chef, greeted us. An unusual but very nice touch.
A couple of things let it down, in our opinion. The arms of some of the sofas in one of the lounges were incredibly worn and a glass top of a coffee table was cracked which was surprising as the rest of the room was immaculate.The Hotel offers guests complimentary use of the leisure facilities in its' sister hotel next door, The Suncliff. This hotel is quite downmarket and drab. The gym wasn't included in 'leisure facilities' and was locked and the sauna wasn't even turned on. The changing rooms were appalling. I even had to get someone to turn off the shower for me as it didn't work. In fact we wish we hadn't bothered using these facilities.
Another little niggle for me was a lack of choice of vegetarian food which is not unusual but I do wish chefs would realise that vegetarians eat more than just pasta! My partner, a meat eater, enjoyed his food and breakfast was very good. However we had a pleasant stay would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear lovelife22,

Thank you for your review. Great comments regarding the Cumberland. My apologies regarding the leisure facilities, this will be addressed. I am sorry the gym wasn't explained, as the reception need to give you an access code to unlock the door. The sauna is also requested for, so my apologies this was not explained.

Hopefully this won't deter you visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

What can I add that a previous reviewer (Louisavz) has not already said? My wife and I also went for Sunday lunch and found it to be really enjoyable. Not that my wife needs much of an excuse to dine out, a "Y" in the day will do it! Such a contrast from our previous Sunday at The Print Room. You can "click onto" my review of that just below. The Cumberland is an elegant venue in itself. the food is good and they know how to treat you right from your entrance at the front door. Our waitress was very good, charming too. The other waiting staff including the head waiter kept up the standard so we also had a wonderful afternoon. My only problem was to put names to the man and woman film stars in the photograph on the wall next to Rita Hayworth and I still don't know. Our waitress suggested that we might visit again and speak to the man who knows (he was off today). I think I'll do just that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericBournemouth

Dear ericBournemouth,

Thank you for your review. Again great comments regarding your Sunday lunch.

Marlon Brando (big picture), Kirk Douglas, Vivien Leigh and Lawrence Olivier( group picture at the end). Hope this answers your question.

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Initially went to book via Travelzoo but the hotel matched the deal and gave us a second night with breakfast for a small addition. The set course meal on the first night was excellent and the service was very friendly. The breakfast on the following 2 days was plentiful and of the same high standard. It was help-yourself and you could go up as many times as you liked. The hotel and the 2 sister hotels had every facility you could want. The room was very clean and again had all the facilities we required. The view from the hotel is stunning and the walk to the main town is short and pleasant. The town has many shops, bars and restaurants all with easy access of the hotel. The BIC is very close to the hotel so next year we will combine a concert with Xmas shopping.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel rooms have a great view but pointless during the winter months as too dark to see anything.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MICHAEL C,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased your stay was enjoyable, and we will look forward welcoming your return.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Excellent 3 course lunch for £17.50, really good value and amazing food. Atmosphere was fantastic, a truly wonderful afternoon coupled with good service too! I visited in November for a friends birthday celebration.
-You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Louisavz

Dear Louisavz,

Thank you for your review regarding your lunch. Our Sunday lunches are traditional, and is a favourite welcoming regulars week after week. It is superb value.

We hope you visit again soon.