“Possibly the best deal in town”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We often stay at The Cumberland for 1 or 2 nights and always take advantage of any in house/third party deals on offer. The best deal is usually for 2 people for a night with full 3 course evening meal (to a very good standard) with a full English breakfast in the morning. The cost for two is below what a B&B would cost just for a room and breakfast. The hotel overlooks East Beach (although rooms directly facing the sea are more expensive) and it only takes some 10 minutes or so to walk along the cliff path into the centre of Bournemouth. Those too lazy can even get a bus (sorry still a 10 minute walk up to the Christchurch Rd behind the hotel) into town or to the many other local places like Poole, Boscombe or Christchurch. The local bus service is extremely good. Limited parking is available at the hotel with roadside parking as another option. The hotel and it's sister hotel next door also offer exercise facilities for those who want to be more energetic. A great place for short breaks that doesn't break the bank.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Have just returned from a three night stay at The Cumberland hotel. My husband and I visit Bournemouth about 4 times a year. Since we last came, we now have a small dog. We were so pleased to find that we could bring her along with us, not many hotels do this and we all had a fantastic time because we didn't have to leave her behind.
All staff at the hotel were excellent. We had a problem with our electricity supply on the second day but it was dealt with very well and was outside of the hotel's control. We were moved to a comparable room and it was all sorted.
Food excellent, room was of a very high quality and we had a really good break with our little dog. More hotels should take note and offer to take small dogs. Thank you everyone at The Cumberland - already planning our next stay.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I managed to get a great deal on this from booking.com, and glad I did. For the price I paid, it was a bargain given that the hotel was a 4-star. Very eloquent and chic decor, the room was comfortable, although a bit too warm, but that's not a problem. The staff were nice and friendly, and most helpful. The food at the restaurant was amazing, used from fresh quality ingredients.

The location is handy, it's at the top of the cliff, and very easy to get to the main beach area, 2 minutes via the "zig zag" path (turn left out of the hotel and cross the road, just next to a bus stop), and only 10 minutes walk to the main town area as well and the Aquarium. You can get great panoramic views of the sea outside in the fresh air from sitting on the benches there.

I also booked a spa treatment, the hot stone massage. As a guest, you are entitled to get a discount on spa treatments. Must say, the hot stone massage was very relaxing, the beautician did a superb job, and you feel detoxified and energised all day. If you are into healthy living, it's worth booking one.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Pisceanlady
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Pisceanlady,

Thank you for your review. Superb review regarding the hotel. I must tell you you we are actually 3*, but that you for the upgrade. I'm sure readers and fellow reviewers will find your review helpful.

We hope to welcome you back soon again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at the cumberland for one night on a package deal of dinner , bed & breakfast for a very reasonable price and I have to say it was lovely. The sea view room we had had fantastic views and was a very comfortable. The food was delicious( we had lunch outside, by the pool as the weather was lovely) the dinner was delicious! The staff were very helpful and it was very child friendly. We had our 2 year old son with us who really enjoyed it there! He didnt want to leave! The bar , lounge and restaurants are decorated beautifully and are very relaxing. I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to going back!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a seaview room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just back from an overnight stay at the Cumberland. From checking availability on the web we would appear to have got the last double room available so I was a bit apprehensive. Most reviews I'd read said to get a sea view room, which would obviously have been fantastic but I'm sure would have cost twice as much as we paid, had one been available. Our room was at the back (320) overlooking the car park which was absolutely fine. The bed was lovely and wide and very comfortable. The room was spacious with a couple of arm chairs and a desk. Two large windows let it loads of light. It was a lovely quiet room and I slept at least as well as I do at home. There were some functions taking place in the evening (admittedly not a noisy wedding party) but upstairs we couldn't hear a thing. Everything was very clean and I appreciated the tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The bathroom was very clean. The shower was a bit feeble and the water from the hand basin taps was very slow coming out but that's no big deal - watch out for the very hot water though. I couldn't connect to the free wifi in the room but could use it in the lounge and reception downstairs. We loved the 1930s inspired ArtDeco theme on the ground floor which really fits in with the style of the building.

We both had fish pie for our evening meal which was excellent and my husband had a full cooked English breakfast that again was first class. There were plenty of staff on duty and they were all very efficient, helpful and friendly. The location is perfect - 5 minutes or so to the beach and a little longer to the town. I don't understand why this hotel doesn't have at least 4 stars. We would stay again and definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor if you're worried about noise from functions.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EABJR
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Have stayed here on several occasions. even Xmas, but only with my husband, this time I was with my daughter. . We arrived early, it was a problem for the receptionist who was not terribly polite. After a 2 hour wait we were given a large cupboard as a single room each which we had booked but with a bath. We refused and were then given alternative rooms on different floors which were only slightly better. Mine was damp with stained walls a very nasty damp patch .it smelled musty, there was no heating or hot water and it was freezing cold, the heating did not come on until 6.00. This was room 303.We were planning to stay for 4 nights after breakfast we decided to leave. We were not offered different rooms. Apart from our initial arrival all the staff were attentive and helpful. The main hotel areas are very glamourous but the rooms are not worthy of a top class hotel.

Room Tip: Try and book the rooms with a balcony they are very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Jennifer S,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry the room was a disappointment. I have investigated your stay. On investigation, I see you arrived at the hotel at 09h30, on a morning when the hotel was on full check-out. Understandably we would not have rooms ready for arrival at this time, we guarantee rooms to be ready at 14h30. So to have your room for midday, is quite an achievement.
My front office manager showed you different rooms as your initial room was not to your liking. The issues that you have put on your review, will be investigated, which none of were reported while you were staying in the hotel.? Maybe we could have room moved you during your stay.

I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel facilities and found the staff friendly. Maybe we can welcome you again soon.

Best Regards,
Sean Nell

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Just come home from having a relaxing week away 3rd to the 8th March 2014. We arrived at hotel and was initially given Room 426, but receptionist Chelsea offered an upgrade to a Sea view Room at a reasonable rate, we were in Room 111, the views were amazing, we was very lucky with the weather and we could go out on the balcony, the only downsize is squeaky floorboards, but we knew this as it's an old Hotel and we have stayed here before. But unfortunately, we did have a couple above who stomped around the room to the extent the ceiling rattled and had the television so loud, but I can honestly say the Hotel sorted it out for us. I really love this hotel, the service, the food, the staff even the cleaners are amazing, nothing is never too much trouble for anyone there.