“Lovely hotel for a short break or for a 'do' - Wedding reception maybe?”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here for just one night for a voucher dinner, bed & breakfast. The acid test is, would we go back to this hotel? And the answer is certainly yes we would. However, there was a little disappointment with our room - but that is not to say that all rooms would be the same as ours. (Room 102). I am sure they are not. But it was too basic for such a fine hotel - rather like one of the chain budget hotels. The TV was tiny, the furnishings were budget, the bed was double rather than king-size, the shower was over the bath from a tap-mixer and was extremely difficult to adjust for temperature, there was no grab-handle to assist getting in and out of the bath, nor anti-slip mat, the mugs for tea/coffee were more suited to a building site, and the walls and ceiling were thin. We were a bit disturbed by the noise of other guests - we could hear the sound of the TV in the room next door and the people above came back to their room rather noisily at 1:30am. But, as I say, we would certainly go back but would definitely ask for a higher standard room next time.

The public areas - Lounge, Dining Room, Bar, and all other spaces including meeting rooms and reception rooms etc., were absolutely marvelous - real 1930s. We kept looking around expecting to see Poirot. And the outside pool and decking area were splendid. (There is a heated indoor pool and sauna in the hotel next door which Cumberland guests can use.) The staff were gracious, polite and very helpful. The food was good 'hotel' food, not fine restaurant food. But that was what we expected and were very happy to have it. The location is absolutely terrific - right on the cliff facing out to sea.

All together we were very pleased. I have given a rating of 4, but if the room was a little better I would have given it 5.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has a double or king-size bed, and if it is the basic or higher standard.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Recently stayed with my mother for one night. The hotel is nicely decorated inside & has lovely views of the sea. The lift is very small though and only fits 2 people. The room was clean but everything looking worn & dated. The two single beds were hard and uncomfortable and we both had a terrible nights sleep. On the plus side, breakfast was help yourself and the food was good. The staff are all friendly and helpful. We did speak to the manager in the morning about the beds and he said he would have upgraded our room had he known. We didn't like to complain though at 11pm at night. The most important thing to me is a good nights sleep so I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you have uncomfortable beds, complain and ask for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear JSP20,

Thank you for your review. Some good compliments regarding the hotel and the service. Thank you. My sincere apologies that you found the beds uncomfortable. What we try to do, if a guest has particular issues with a room, is to try and find an alternative. We will investigate the bed situation, and if necessary replace.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed sat night 22nd and whilst room was very spacious I felt if I sneezed the room above and either side would hear me. Room above had children. I could hear a child cry for some time well after midnight and a brother/sister shouting often telling them to shut up. Eventually this did happen so settled down and was confused by noise I was hearing through wall behind me, only to realise it was someone peeing in toilet. Assumed it was man as sounded from great height then heard flush clearly and toilet cistern fill up. As everything quietend down and I was just about to nod off another person had a pee and of course flushed so that was another wait for peace and quiet. Unfortunately I was disappointed in dinner, well duck ordered as main course. It was like a piece of leather, couldn't cut it. As I write this I do not know why I did not send it back, well I do I was with friends and did not want to make a fuss. We attempted to order special coffees in lounge bar around 11pm only to be told not available as coffee machine was being cleaned! Good points about hotel, staff very friendly and helpful and breakfast was good quality.

Room Tip: Higher floor at an end might be an idea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear AdeleB19,

Thank you for your review. Thank you for the comments on the good points of the hotel. I totally sympathise with your situation with noisy neighbours. My sincere apologies for the disturbance. I am disappointed in your feedback regarding the meal, and will say that I am sorry you did not mention it at the time of eating it. We would have gladly replaced it.
The bar is open until late, and serve barista costa coffee. This machine needs to be cleaned, and we try to do it as late as possible. However, we do have alternative coffee (filter coffee) from the kitchen, which we can serve. Understandably there will be short period that 'specialised coffee' is on hold while the machine goes through its cleaning process.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

booked a 2 night break through travel zoo (great value). parking a bit of a problem we took
the very last space. booking in was easy and the room and bathroom were large, well equipped
and perfectly adequate. The public rooms are superb and very comfortable, unfortunately too
cold to sit outside. The breakfast is very good and plenty of it. Evening meal not too many
choices but well presented and delicious. Drinks obviously a little expensive. The location
of the hotel is a little away from the towns many amenities but position overlooking the beach
is superb .Lastly I have to mention the service, the staff were excellent, nothing too much
trouble and made our stay all the more enjoyable, many thanks.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I recently spent a very enjoyable weekend at this hotel at the beginning of March to celebrate my Birthday. The hotel has fabulous Art Deco throughout and is very oppulent indeed. There are several restaurants to chose from - all of which serve delicious food. Also, there is regular live entertainment during the year.

The hotel staff are very courteous and helpful and I even received a Birthday card and two drinks vouchers from the management - a lovely gesture, I thought.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and firmly believe that it is one of the best in Bournemouth. I hope to make a return visit in the near future.

Room Tip: I made no request for a particular type of room but we were allocated a side sea view room which was...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Nigel L,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback regarding your stay, and we are pleased your birthday celebrations were enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Enjoyed one nights stay here with dinner and breakfast. Upgraded to a sea-view room on arrival. Probably worth it, though TV not in line with the bed so one of the posts of the four poster obstructed the screen. Took two attempts to get a bedside light mended. Only one soap container despite two dispensers. None of the usual toiletries, and no tissues or cushions. All staff friendly and courteous. Dinner excellent with attentive service. The weak link was the bar service. Three barmen but three service points so they were unable to know who was next. Took the precaution of ordering desert wine when ordering wine at the beginning of dinner. Breakfast to a good standard, though rather busy.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade if available, but inspect it first and ask for any inadequacies to be fixed. Very...
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked a week in advance and got a great deal for 15th march, we got there Saturday lunchtime to amazing sunny weather, booking in was easy ,receptionist was lovely, we had our lunch by the pool and spent the afternoon on the beach just 10 mins walk away,our room was a bit small but we didn't mind, its just to sleep in,it was clean and the bed was comfy,next morning we had a great breakfast and took our coffee out to the pool,the sun shone again all day! We went for a walk after checking out but came back to spend a wonderful few hours relaxing on sunbeds!.it really felt like we were abroad,it was a really lovely experience and would definately recommend it.