“A pleasant good value stay, charming staff, lovely tasty food!”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Good value Travelzoo deal. For this modest amount of money, a sea view room and a super three course meal with fab breakfast was amazing value and almost too good to be true.

Only slight minus was the memory foam bed and pillows weren't for us and we had an unsettled night sleep along with quite a bit of noise coming through from the guests above out room but that didn't detract too much from a really good experience and a really nice sea side stay.

They have trained the staff here to really value their customers, we had some of the back room staff from the kitchen welcoming us in the car park proudly telling us what was on the menu for the night - such enthusiasm! Even helping us find a space and wishing us a lovely stay which is really unusual. Reception staff warm and pleasant from first contact to check out. This makes such a difference and I will never understand why some chains seem to specifically employ such sour faced grumps and wonder why guests don't return? ! Not here, though. Staff were a credit to the hotel.

Enjoyed it all thoroughly and the cream tea was yummy! Recommend without hesitation for the deal price. Well done to them - all guests we saw were commenting favourably on the value of the deal and seemed very very happy - always a good sign.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an upgrade with a huge balcony covered in fake grass ! but I'm sure the norma...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear carrotcrunchers46,

Thank you for your review. Fantastic comments regarding the staff. We have a wonderful team, and we are very proud. We receive numerous compliments. I am sure when they read this review, they will find it rewarding. Also glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea.

We hope to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here last weekend and loved every minute. Good bedroom with a side sea-view, bathroom spacious, modern and clean.
The breakfast and dinner was very,very good, made even better by the attentive service.
The lounges and bar are really well furnished and spacious and the cocktail barman sure knows his stuff. Best cocktais we've had in a long time.
We only live 5 miles away so with the beautiful weather today we decided to go for afternoon tea.
The service and food was equally as good but spoiled by not being allowed the table we requested or the one next to it in the window. They were clearly set up for dinner, however we stayed for 1hr 30mins and nobody took the tables in that time. Such a shame when waiters are too lazy to re-set tables. Such a shame that something so fundamental to good customer service is not being dealt with professionally.
This will not put me off using this lovely hotel again, it gives great service in lovely surroundings.

Dear Pauline1987,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback. The cocktails are great, and with the special offer we do on the classics, such a great way to indulge on a break away.

We hope to welcome you back soon again, and if you contact our sales department direct they will quote the best rates, or check our website as we do deals and special offers throughout the year.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal so I didn't have high expectations. It looks very 1930's and had a great position on the overcliff. The weather was a bit cold for a bracing walk but it was great to have the great little swimming pool in the next door hotel. I would have liked a walkway between the two hotels but that would have disrupted access to the car parking next door. The car park will never accommodate a full hotel so if we went again I'd go by public transport as it would be too stressful to try to park on a lovely day near the hotel.
It's all very black and silver in the foyer and bar areas with lots of comfy sofas. We were greeted by a lovely Italian man Gaetano who was absolutely charming and remembered us wherever he served us, I think he does everything!
Our room, 102, was very basic and has a blocked up connecting door, should have been a warning! We had noisy next door and upstairs neighbours but were too tired to move but I would definitely check the room next time before settling in.
The food in the restaurant was ok but not really exciting, I kept having to remind myself that it was 'a deal' but 'a deal' is still an advertising opportunity for repeat guests so a few more of the items on the menu in the rooms would have been good, like for example the fish pie, evidently the Chefs Speciality, I was looking forward to it!
The dessert wasn't good and I wished I'd had something else till I read other reviews. However my tomato and basil soup was great!
It's an enormous dining room but has specific staff walkways so ask to move if you think you might be blown around in your seat by a speedy staff member stomping past! I think we were originally on the edge of the dance floor.
Do you know what, I would return but ask for a really good room and pay extra for food that I would like and tell myself to pull myself together and appreciate the fact that I was away from it all for a night! But, actually, sad, tired and ill people do go away too!
Friendly staff and a great location is a fabulous point to work from, everything else is just tweaking!

1  Thank LindyLooe

Dear LindyLooe,

Thank you for your review. Good comments, and lovely comment regarding Gaetano our Guest Services Manager. I am a bit disappointed that you did not enjoy the food completely, we get so many compliments regarding Chef's food. We always welcome feedback, as without it one can never improve. I am glad that you did find the staff friendly.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The lady on reception Julia was amazing, she really bent over backwards for us with our room upgrade. The hotel was lovely and our room 405 was amazing, it was an actual suite! The breakfast and evening meal were of excellent quality and the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and service orientated. Will definitely be staying again!

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the suite, room 405, we didn't want to leave!

Dear sharoncole,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I had never stayed in this hotel before and based on the lovely external and internal appearance, and reviews we decided to go for it. On arrival, we had a problem checking in as the hotel didn't have a record of our booking. However after some investigation we were 'found' in the system. It turned out that we were now down to stay in the sister hotel next door. We insisted that the Cumberland was specifically booked and this is where we wanted to stay. The very friendly receptionist soon sorted out the problem after a couple of phone calls.
The room was clean and there was plenty of storage. Coffee and tea were available, along with a nice flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean. However, the drain plug in the basin wasn't of much use as it leaked!. The decor in the bar and lounge area was stunning - typical of the Art Deco period. The dining room was very busy when we arrived for breakfast. We were found a table very quickly and the buffet style breakfast was very good - a good selection of what you would expect.
My one criticism is the size of the lift. It is tiny ! My wife and I go away for weekends fairly frequently and this lift is the smallest we've ever seen. For the size of the hotel, it needs to be larger.
We both enjoyed our stay, and would definitely recommend it. The staff, without exception, were very friendly and helpful. We will be staying here again.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Asked for a sea view room told hotel was full , our room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in double bed was a small double, head board was covered in a black velour material which was on the pillow cases, thought it was hair at first bits on white pillow cases did not look good Bathroom was a good size but shower curtain let it down and shower fitment was not good , there was no hot water at 6 30 so, no showers before dinner. Although the menu did not look too bad my friend had. Duck which was like leather my husbands lamb was unremarkable and my veg version was ok but pastry very hard. looking forward to our lemon torte with raspberries we were presented with a small pastry tart which was very dry had a blob of clotted cream on top and no raspberries just a bit of rasp coulie, I would not have ordered this if I thought it was going to be more pastry, lemon torte it wasn't ! No one asked if our meal was ok at the time lemon torte is a light fluffy desert the opposite to what we were served. We have stayed here before and the staff are very pleasant on the desk, we think the contrast in the rooms should be charged accordingly ie smaller room. Smaller price! The lounge and bar area are very nice but we feel you should pay more attention to your rooms and serve what it says on the menu or at least admit you had no torte and give us a poor substitute.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear concertfans,

Thank you for your review. One of the best features of the Cumberland is our Sea view bedrooms. The view is just spectacular. Hence they sell very well, and most times we have them all booked into.
My apologies your meal was not up to standard, this will be taken up with the Chef and the restaurant manager. room 225 is a comfort double room, we do have other rooms available and subject to availability we could may have room moved you, but as you mentioned the hotel was very busy and at times when occupancy is very high, hot water can a bit slower than usual.

I hope we can welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The Cumberland has super sea views. It looks as though it has been refurbished fairly recently and has comfortable rooms and public areas. The restaurant is nice and the staff thoughout are efficient, helpful and friendly. The food was plentiful and of excellent quality. Highly recommended.
There are three hotels next door to each other belonging to Oceana, and guests can use the facilities of all three. However, the Cumberland if far and away the best as the other two are somewhat faded and hopefully will be refurbished before too long.
It would be handy if the three hotels had an enclosed walkway between them as using the indoor pool in the hotel next door entailed dressing for winter for the short walk.

Dear Bruce J,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback.