“Better than I expected”

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I recently booked a 2 night stay here for our wedding anniversary. I found a great deal on Travelzoo offering half board with a 3 course set menu. Upon arriving I was able to park right outside the entrance and we quickly checked in and got to our room. A standard room is basic but includes all you need for a short stay including Tea/Coffee making facilities, plenty of wardrobe space and hangars, flatscreen TV and plenty of fresh towels. The decor is good although the furniture is a bit dated but I think they in the process of replacing this. If you require an iron and ironing board just ask at or call reception and they'll bring it to your room. Above all is was spotlessly clean which is always the most important aspect to us.

The deal I got was amazing value and we were offered a free drinks voucher for a Tea/Coffee or Prosecco at the bar. The evening meal was excellent with a choice of 5 to 6 options for each course. The 1st night I had the Pork Loin and my wife had the Braised Steak both of which were excellent. Vegetables were served separately in a dish and the portion was ample. I had the Duck Salad starter on one evening and Trout Salad on the next both of which were fresh, well cooked and delicious. The only slight niggle was the in insistence on serving watercress as garnish with everything, which is fine but it was beginning to look a bit past its best. I would suggest asking for butter for your roll as they serve spread in a dish during dinner.

The breakfast was amongst the best I've had which includes all the usual cooked offerings including both scrambled and fried eggs.they quickly replace the food so it's always hot and fresh. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal, toast and juice is offered. The juice is the usual watered down variety but I wouldn't of expected real juice for what we paid. Overall the breakfast was great and I really looked forward to it.

The staff were helpful and friendly and the decor and surroundings nice. the bar has 2 distinct areas, one a relaxing lounge with sofas and the other a more trendy type with chairs and stools. Drinks were reasonable, typically £4 for most shorts with mixers, wine and beer. Worthington's Smooth is served alongside Fosters and a premium lager. I had a Havana Club and diet coke on the 2nd evening this only cost 30p more. There's an outdoor area with seats by the swimming pool but this was not in use this early in the season.

The location of the hotel is on the East Overcliff Drive which is a road running along the top of the cliff overlooking the beach. There are many hotels located here. The Suncliff Hotel (sister hotel) is available next door and offers leisure facilities etc but we didn't get the time to check this out. You can walk down to the beach via steep zig-zag path or stroll down the hill at a more leisurely pace. It's about a 15 minute walk to the pier/town centre.

All in all a great couple of days and the weather was great too! We definitely plan on returning to Bournemouth which has so much to offer and is a lovely place to visit. I would thoroughly recommend the Cumberland hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stargooner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here last night for Moreno's 40th birthday party. Aside from the party itself (which was fab), we were very impressed with the professionalism of all the hotel staff, from the welcome on our arrival, throughout the party, at breakfast and on departure. Our room had a sea view and was very large (not sure if all the rooms are same size?) although it did smell a little when we first arrived (damp maybe?) but we opened all the windows and the smell seemed to fade. The room was very well equipped with plenty of mirrors and good lighting, and a hair dryer and plug right by a mirror (makes a change)! We will definitely return to the Cumberland are tempted to find a good reason to hold a party there!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lynneyvette
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Lynneyvette,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback regarding you stay and we are very pleased you enjoyed the birthday party.

We hope to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary upgraded to sea view & balcony, worth every penny wonderful four poster bed, very large room & bathroom. Peaceful nights sleep never heard a thing. The weather wasn't great but that's typical for England I suppose. Would highly recommend this hotel on the wow factor.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thetowns
SeanNell, Operations Manager at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Thetowns,

Thank you for your review. A pleasing review to read. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon. For the latest offers, please visit our website or call us direct on 01202-298350.

Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

First time in this hotel and certainly NOT the last. The Cumberland is much better than a 3 star hotel. Dinner in the Mirabelle for £22.95 per head was great value and the quality of the food was magnificent. Every member of staff, from check-in to departure were warm, friendly and helpful. The whole hotel was clean and well maintained. The only down side was the lack of hot water, even after running the hot taps in the bathroom foe 10 minutes, the water was bearly hot enough for a shower (without any cold water)!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear John M,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback regarding your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

For the latest offers please visit our website or call the reservations direct on 01202-2980350. We hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a night over the bank holiday weekend. We checked into one of the inner rooms at 2:30 and on entering found it to be too hot, the air inside was so heavy that I felt suffocated. We tried opening the two windows in the room but they didn't budge. My husband called the front desk and they sent someone after 15 min. The person who came in called our room a sauna. He managed to open the smaller of the two windows and said the other would require more time. He came back only to return 2 hrs. later with a small table fan. He couldn't get the other window to open. All this while we waited in the room. The table fan had poor through and I had a fairly sleepless night on a bed whose springs dug into my sides as I tried to sleep. I next morning I thought would be an end to my ordeal as we were checking out but alas no. When I went to take a bath, I found that there was a problem with the plumbing system. The water on the bath setting would run cold and on switching to shower was scalding hot. I burnt myself a couple of times, before attempting to complete my bath with one of the glasses provided in the bathroom for water. To say I had a terrible morning was an understatement.
The only consolation in this was the breakfast which was a complete English style breakfast buffet style.
We made a complaint to the lady at checkout who promptly made us speak to the duty manager, wo apologised and explained that they will soon be upgrading their taps and promised to make out stay more comfortable if we stayed with them again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Surabhi_Shori
Dear Surabhi_Shori,

Thank you for you review. I was actually the person who dealt with you on check-out. As I mentioned to you personally, a sincere apologies for the errors in your stay. The maintenance engineer actually didn't realise your urgency for a fan, and so he carried on with other jobs, so apologies for the wait. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstance the window needed a new part, therefore could not be opened. We are glad you reported it, and I am glad to say that both the issues you reported are now both working just fine.
We are grateful for comments whether they constructive criticism or even a complaint, as this helps us improve our product.
I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and if memory serves me right you did enjoy the hotel as hole.

Please contact me directly when or if you wish to book with us again.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

It's a nice and clean sea facing hotel with good basic amenities. The breakfast spread was decent but quite an issue for vegetarians. As my husband is a vegetarian, One of the days a staff member was kind enough to get something made of soya but the next day the other staff member refused.
All in all a good experience and value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Their main restaurant, Mirabelle, is an excellent place for Sunday Lunch. I would advise booking as it was busy the day we went. Fixed price £17.95 for three courses and coffee. Excellent choices of well cooked fare. No rush by the pleasant and attentive staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your review. Great feedback regarding your lunch. We are very pleased it was an enjoyable experience for you.

We look forward welcoming you back soon.