“Cannot fault in anyway”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived early for a 2 night stay, reception staff very friendly, as we were early the receptionist took us for a tour of the ground floor dining rooms, lounges etc, showed us where to get lunch if we required it. The public rooms were all smart, clean and tidy and well decorated.

As the hotel overlooks the sea, we had decided to pay extra to book a sea view room, we had a nice large room on the 4th floor, with a balcony with table and chairs on it. The room had plenty of storage space a triple wardrobe, a giant size bed, a separate wardrobe/luggage cupboard. Table, with kettle, various drink sachets, biscuits. Also about 6 mirrors in the room, everywhere but the ceiling. A large bathroom.

We had booked half board, the breakfast is the biggest selection of items I have ever seen in any hotel in the world, fruit juices ( not watered down like some hotels) every type of cereal, pastries and cakes, a massive selection of cooked breakfast all hot and refilled as necessary, yogurts, seeds, toast machine, and unlimited waitress served hot drinks, plus I am sure I have missed lots.

Dinner was superb, my wife is a very fussy eater, so I was worried there would not be anything on the menu she would try, but she had no problem in picking something, and we both were really full and she thought it was the best hotel food ever, like most hotels now the staff were from various countries, but plenty serving in the restaurant and every one in the hotel was courteous and pleasant and willing to help in anyway.

The hotel has a nice outside heated pool with a lot of seating around, or you can use the hotel next door indoor swimming pool.

So all in all a wonderful break, and I would advise anyone, if possible book a sea view with balcony room, it is certainly worth the extra and the 4th floor was very quiet.

I just wish more English seaside hotels were of the same standard, it would do the tourist trade some good. Also Bournemouth is a delightful town, I had not been there for years not as run down as most seaside resorts, also have a ride on the funicular railway down to the lower promenade, it is just a short walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have the benefit of nobody above and was quiet, and sea view rooms have a beautiful...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I left the Cumberland today, not even home yet but I wanted to write a review before I forgot.

My partner and I stayed for five nights and on the whole it was a wonderful experience; the hotel was beautiful, we loved the use of the pool and lido area (the sun was glorious, felt as though we were abroad) the staff could not do enough for us, the food was divine (we had lunch and dinner there twice) and the cocktails were a personal favourite of mine!!

We were in room 415 and although being a small double it was well sized, decorated nicely and as it faced the inside of the hotel it was nice and quiet. The one issue we had was the room was quiet stuffy and humid, though reception did bring us a fan up within minutes of us requesting one. I was a a bit worried about the shower as I'd read a couple of comments about it in reviews, at first it was tricky to get the right temperature but once we did it was powerful!

We've both said that we'll definitely come back - I'm already planning a trip for myself and my sister in August. I'd recommend The Cumberland to anyone!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had a very good internet deal so booked it even though it wasn't a sea view room. For 2 nights and I day, it would be fine. The 4th floor room overlooked the car park; OK ish. The room was spotless but small. Worse was the terrible noise from a fan outside the bedroom window. How would we sleep? We went to see the Duty Manager who told us it was the fan in the kitchen and would would go off at 9 pm. When it didn't, he sorted it immediately and was very helpful. The 2nd night it was on until midnight! Breakfast and the one dinner we had were excellent. Lovely pool area. Would definitely go back but to a different room.

Room Tip: Not a back room adjacent to pipes from kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Cumberland for two nights in the middle of June, as I was attending a froend's party. The function room was superb - lights, stage, and service excellent. We all thought they did very well with the food - it was delicious. The service was fantastic (I think the staff loved our entertainment!) I loved my little room, Marilyn Monroe. It was small, but had everything. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the breakfast lovely and I would definitely return here another time!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My family and I (Me, my wife and three boys) stayed at The Cumberland over the weekend of 7th and 8th June this year. We were fortunate to have a family room overlooking the sea. The room itself was large enough to cater for us and was clean and tidy. Granted the fifth bed was a temporary, put-u-up type but I have to say, all of the beds were very comfy. The bathroom was clean and everything was well presented. In terms of the room, the only minor point was that despite it being a family room, there were only two towels and not enough mugs or tea and coffee for us all. That being said, the hotel staff put nearly all of that right very quickly, except for the extra tea/coffee/hot chocolate but that was the only gripe.

We had booked dinner as well as breakfast and it was truly a delight to dine in. The fod was delicious, quickly served and wonderfully presented. We treated ourselves to a posh bottle of wine and on top of all of this our three boys ate everything and were very well behaved- so much so another guest commented on them. It must have been the atmosphere and Art Deco style that chilled them out.

We didn't dare venture into the outdoor pool but others did and it certainly looked inviting but we felt it was a bit too cool for us - weather not the pool. We had the use of the adjacent hotel for swimming indoors and that too was great. Nice and warm for us Southern Softies..

Breakfast was a mix of continental and help yourself full English. We did help ourselves and once again all of us ate well and enjoyed the food.

Without a doubt this is a very nice hotel and one we would love to return to in the future. We were very lucky that this was a free trip for us. We will return but may be as couple for a special occasion rather than with all the tribe.

Thank you all for making our stay a wonderful one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is beautiful the staff are friendly and efficient.

I had my 40th birthday party here in the Oceana room which is a stunning room. The lighting in the room for the party was fab. Huge thanks to Brian for organising everything.

The hotel rooms are also lovely we paid the supplement for a sea view room overlooking the sea and pool which was stunning and felt like we were on holiday!

The outside pool area and seating/decking are very nice as is the lounge area outside the dining area

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and I would also recommend afternoon tea.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have Sunday at the Cumberland Hotel every Sunday excellent service good value for money great food three course`s its the best place for Sunday Lunch in Bournemouth you must try it you will find the Hotel on the East cliff in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo