“Great place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Having stayed at the Cumberland many times as a child, back in the sixties, My wife and I decided to try the Cumberland again a couple of years ago. Forty years after my last holiday here, I was not dissapointed. The renovation to the ground floorr is superb, capturing the spirit of this Art Deco building splendidly. The refurbished sea view rooms are comfortable and clean. The restaurant serves excellent food with friendly and attentive staff.
We have been back several times since, and look forward to our next visit early 2010

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2009

The ground floor area is lovely and well maintained but that is really where it ends. The room was OK, basic. TV pretty ancient with a very, very limited choice of channels, the decor was fine but there were various holes where things had been moved in the past and due to heavy rain there was some water running down the inside of the window. The shower was fixed at a height for someone quite short. I am not that tall but had to duck to use it. The lift is tiny and will take 3 people but without luggage (I used the stairs most of the time rather than wait ages). The side ocean view as it was called was a view over the hotel opposite but you could see the sea, a bit of it. Breakfast ok, nothing special. Just a general disappointment and I was glad that I was just there for one night. I normally stay in the Ramada Encore and I really regretted my decision not to do so on this occasion.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
kevinwood, Director at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2009
Thank you for your review. Unfortunateley unlike the other hotel you stayed in we are on the SeaFront and this weekend was unusual with wind and rain around 90mph, even the most water tight buildings on a seafront suffer slight water ingress during these conditions, which are very rare. As stated earlier the TV's are all being replaced gradually and as we do have a Goods Elevator, the small passenger lift is quite adequate for the four stories we have , luggage is always taken in the service lift. I am surprised by your comments about breakfast as we have one one of the most varied Breakfast choices available, and all items are quality products. We are a full service hotel with several restaurants unlike the hotel you are used to which is also brand new, but is more of a motel type property.
Some guests prefer a full service hotel and i am sorry on this occassion that you did not find Cumberland to your liking

Regards

Kevin Wood
Brisbane-Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2009

This is a lovely hotel. We obtained a good deal that included Afternoon Tea, Dinner, Bed & Breakfast so once we arrived, we never actually left the hotel!

Our room was fine although on the small side. Bathroom had been renovated but alas, they had not replaced the panelling in front of the bath which was chipped and water damaged. TV was on a low table and would have been better being wall mounted so you could see it from the bed. Obviously most of the money has been spent on the public areas and whilst the rooms are a bit threadbare, they were clean and fine for our stay.

Dinner was in the large restaurant which was quite busy for a Monday evening in Winter. The service was fantastic - pleasant friendly staff, happy to accomodate minor alterations and were genuinley interested in their job. The same must be said of the reception staff and and staff at breakfast the next morning (very good breakfast by the way - lots of variety)

Free superfast WiFi in the lounge and bar areas and they are pleasant to linger in. Hip lighting, cool couches, cushions, artwork etc bring this hotel up to date without forgetting it's glory days between the wars. We are big fans of Art Deco so were very impressed with how the public areas have been maintained or renovated in a sympathetic style.

There is also a pool near the bar but as it was outdoors, a bit too chilly to try.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Director at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2009
Thank you for your candid review regarding your recent stay at The Cumberland. Your comments regarding the service, cleanliness and good food will be passed to the relevent departments at our weekly Head Of Department meeting.
Addressing the issues you point out, Firstly the Elevator yes is small, and does need attention, We have just signed of on improvement works to the asthetics of this elevator with our maitenance company. The workings of the elevator were all addressed during the main refurbishment.
The landings of the hotel are also in the middle of refurbishment, with Decor complete, and now new curtains and Pictures are being added floor by floor, The 4th Floor and stairs are complete. All new modern lighting has also been completed at great cost. The works are scheduled to be finished in December.
Regarding your room, this is an old 1930's built hotel and will always have the character of an older hotel such as creeking floorboards, Fittings such as TV's and Phones have been repaced in many rooms and are being replaced weekly at a rapid pace. Rome was not built in a day and The Cumberland is a very busy Hotel.
I do believe on the whole we offer excellent value for money, and although it appears many people expect the whole experience to be 5 star for a 3 star price, I believe what we do offer is a good quality 3 star hotel room, with 5 Star public areas, Food and service.
Are rooms are being upgraded constantly without increasing our reasonable tarriffs.
Your comments are welcomed and I hope I have answered your points of issue.

Regards

Kevin Wood
Los gatos
Reviewed 11 November 2009

As a seasoned traveller, I spend much time in hotels and for service, food and ambience, this has to be one of my all time picks. Never have I found staff so amiable and obliging, the. Ambience is unique and everywhere was spotless. A tip from me would be to dine in their brasserie Ventana, you won't be dissapointed. My room was great and it appears they are currently refurbishing the hotel landings too, this was my only moan with workmen making noise at 8am although I am told this work is almost over . Thanks to all at Cumberland

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
bournemouth
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I have recently had my daughters "sweet 16" birthday party here and it was a fantastic night made all the more enjoyable by the fact that everything was so well organised.
Brian Robbins was the organiser and on the night the duty/food and beverage manager was Vanessa, they were both brilliant and keeping that many teenagers under control was probably no easy task, but they did it with a smile on their face, I had dinner in the restaurant whilst the party took place and barring a couple of incidents that I had to sort, I had a very pleasant evening.
The Oceana room, were the party took place, is a beautiful room but the rest of the hotel is just as beautiful. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Hounslow
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Just returned from a weekend at The Cumberland in Bournemouth, everything was just fantastic, the thing that stood out was the 5 star service in all areas, the food was good, breakfast plentiful and with full self service you could help yourself to as much as possible, we booked three rooms and all were very nice and comfortable especially the sea view balcony, I had room 200, which I had seen some bad reviews on, now its brand new refurbished and although not large, it was very chic and stylish, well done Cumberland we will all be back

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We decided last minute to take a few days away with our toddler son.
Having phoned up, we were offered a very good rate for a standard refurbished room which we booked.
Upon arrival, we were offered a complimentary upgrade to a superior sea view room and was assured it had been refurbished.
Having seen Trip Advisor's reviews, we know that the lift would be a challenge but managed to literally squeeze in (2 adults and baby in buggy).
The lift has seen better days. I don't think it's been updated for the best part of 30 years!!
The corridor leading down to the room was non descript. It appeared that the hotel had attempted to update it, but it certainly fell short!!
Our room was okay. It seemed to have a split personality...(same as rest of the hotel). Walls had been repapered, decent headboard, nice chairs/table and bed was okay. That was as far as a refurbish went. The phone was smelly and old. The kettle/tray was old and in a very odd place. The TV was old (only 4 channels) and was positioned on such a low table you can't see it unless you're sitting upright on the bed. The radiator had seen better days and the room still felt old. Floor boards were so creaky and the soundproofing was awful. The bathroom was old (although clean) and the towels weren't exactly on the large side (and a little grey).
The balcony was dirty and hadn't been painted (looked like years ago).

In contrast the ground floor of the hotel is gorgeous. No detail has been missed. The bar, restaurant, lounges and lobby are all contemporary art deco and very, very comfortable!

It's a shame, really. I know the update isn't yet complete but these small details that have been missed / or not yet changed would make me consider whether or not to return to the hotel. If I am offered a refurbished room, I expect every element to have been done - no caveats!

Staff are polite and friendly and the outside space (pool area) looked lovely.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family