“Meeting at the Cumberland”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Just had a 2 day meeting in May at the Cumberland, fantastic venue, the boardroom for any meeting was good with plenty of tea,coffee,water and drinks all day,good service and friendly staff, the lunch and dinner were excellent and and we have re booked another 16 rooms for December.
The rooms we had were overlooking the sea and were referbished, Some rooms yet still to be done but what we had were very good. Keep up the good work, Paul @ Crown paints

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Cumberland Hotel

Reviewed 31 May 2010

Would happily recommend the hotel. Excellent customer service, made to feel welcome at the hotel and no complaints at all.
Staff happily answered any queries regarding internet, facilities, directions - and were very professional and friendly.
Room was alot better than i was expecting, very well decorated and trendy look to whole hotel. Slept like a baby, so beds were definetly comfortable.
Food was excellent also, and enjoyed sitting in the smart lounge where the internet is free of charge.
Of all hotels in the area i have stayed in within this price bracket, the cumberland would come out a clear winner. highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I felt it right to say a few words about this hotel. I am a corporate travel agent and I organise company events at home and away and after finding the Cumberland I shall certainly be recommending at home. I was a little dissapointed that after explaining what I do for a living there was no-one who could show me around the function rooms but it was the most glorious weekend of the year so it is understandable and i am in no doubt that I will return next month.
We were made to feel at home straight away despite a very large reception going on. We went to our entirely adequate room and dumped our bags and made our way to the beautiful pool side area for a very reasonable bottle of champagne, served by the friendliest bar staff I have encountered in years, and sat looking at the beautifully lit poolside/terrace area. There is a great vibe to the place that really makes you feel like you are in an overseas resort.
The weekend just improved with the glorious sunshine, chillout music by the pool and cocktails flowing. The bar staff were once again amazing and saved me from having to lift a finger which was wonderful. I went home with a true sense of relaxation after the 2 nights we spent there. My intention before booking this trip on the Thursday was just to get away from it all. It has been a tricky couple of months in the travel world and this was exactly what I needed. I give a 10/10 for an amazingly enjoyable experience and i look forward to returning in June.
Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We got married on the 22nd May, had our reception at the hotel, we could not fault anything throught the day and evening, they set the room out exactly how we asked for the daytime, it looked lovely, the food was fantastic, and the staff were also fantastic, the evening reception was also excellent and the buffet food was lovely, the rooms were also lovely, breakfast in the morning was very very nice, so I would highly recommend the cumberland for a wedding reception or to just stay for a couple of days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

Thank You very much for your recognition of our customer service. We pride ourselves on this and are continously striving for excellence in this department. I am so pleased we were able to make your Big Day special. Your thanks will be passed to all concerned.

Regards

Kevin Wood

Reviewed 25 May 2010

Block booking at this hotel to attend a family wedding. Arrived early afternoon after leaving church, and as it was a Saturday with the best weather of the year so far, it was impossible to park just about anywhere. I did expect, however, as we were resident to be able to park on the hotel car park but no. I was informd by the most abrupt, unfriendliest person I have ever met that parking was on a first come first serve basis and this was in competition with customers who were visiting the hotel for a meal, drinks or a dip in their pool. The fact that you were paying minimum £110 for the night had nothing to do with it. So beware, just because you are resident and spending loads of money at the hotel there is no guarantee that you will be able to park your car. To make matters worse the delivery of that message was disgusting, this woman had no customer service skills whatsoever, she was rude, abrupt and down right aggressive.
Didn't get to stay in th hotel as they had then checked me into the sister hotel next door, The Suncliff and whilst the customer service here was a great improvement, sadly the standard of accommodation was poor.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pud6

Firstly its ironic that the bride and groom of the wedding you attended gave the hotel top marks for customer service. Secondly I find it amazing that you can review the hotel so low after meeting one member of staff and not actually staying at the hotel!
Third, we have 55 spaces to park cars at the hotel out of 100 bedrooms, there will always be someone who cannot be accomodated. There is 24 hour parking for £3 on the seafront roadside council parking which you were informed of. All parking was taken up by hotel residents!!! It is a shame you felt the need to post this review just because you were simply told there was nothing we could do to accomodate your car...thank You for that!!!!

Reviewed 13 May 2010

Stayed from 7th to 10th May,wife and 3 year old.Hotel is advertised as 3 star but as far as we were concerned we received 5 star treatment.We booked a suite that had a perfect seaview.Room service was good,(wife ordered club sandwich,big enough for 2).All staff very respectful and enquiring as to our satisfaction.I like my sausages well done and at breakfast the ones on the buffet were not "black" as I like them.No problem,I asked for well done and they appeared on my table.
At dinner,the food was piping hot and the service perfect.(Gave the waitress £20 tip for the 3 meals she served).she deserved it.She made a big fuss of our son.Perfect.
Joshua Bellamy,trainee manager,deserves special praise.Very personable and looking after all guests with a smile and handshake.
Basically,we were happy.Makes a change from the London poor service that sadly exists.
The management are doing a good job.
Regards
THE BRESLAWS

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I stayed with a party of 20 for a weekend Rotary conference at BIC. The majority of us were unhappy with the decor of the rooms. Mine was supposed to be delux but furniture was crammed in and the whole room had a tired feeling, the TV was ancient with only 4 channels and the bathroom was old fashioned.
There was a stag group over the weekend, with noisy, half clad men roaming the corridors at night. On Saturday there was an evening function, with loud music into the early hours of Sunday. I was on the 2nd floor and was constantly woken up by the noise. One of our party complained to the reception in person about the noise and was offered ear plugs! A written complaint to the management gave the the (paraphased) response of 'what do you expect from a 3 star hotel? The only plus is that the food and restaurant facilities were good.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2010

I believe the comments in your review are quite unfair and somewhat untrue. I have personally written to your by mail and do not choose to respond again. I will say that it is with regret that you find it necessary to post this review after my decision not to award you monetry compensation!

Kevin Wood