“Never again”

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Never again”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I would never return here due to the rude reception staff, tiny hot rooms that smell of cooking fumes from the kitchen, the food in the restaurant is so expensive for the quality and portion size. Really need to spend some money on air conditioning, room refurbishment and staff training. The pool looked nice but needed a good clean. Sorry but for what I paid I could get a suite at the Royal Bath.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daisydoo_10
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Quite surprised to read your review! We are all very responsive to customer comments at Cumberland but reading your review, you have made allegations I have never heard of before! Not sure what has upset you so much to write this review, I think previous reviews speak for themselves. The staff at Cumberland are very well trained and NEVER Rude, the restaurant prices at £19.95 for three course including coffee for residents is fair value for money and food is fresh and good. The pool is cleaned and maintained several times a day and is crystal clear, it is also monitored five times daily for levels. I have never heard such a mean allegation! Rooms are for the most part large, comfortable and modern, had you requested a room move and one was available, we would have happily changed yiour room allocation. It almost makes me giggle when I see such an unfair review as yours when all in all I know we try so hard to please people here!!

Kevin Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
Reading . uk
Reviewed 30 July 2010

The hotel's public interior , art deco and furnishings are some of the best iv'e seen.
Our bedroom , though a little warn but still clean and modern.
The outside pool area, seating and decking is what made it for us. The service and food is highly rated.
We spent every morning eating breakfast outside....and what a lovely choice it was!
The swimming pool was the warmest pool ever, and plenty of beds / seating around pool.
The staff were all very professional, yet warm and friendly .
I loved this art deco hotel as it reminded me of the ones on South Beach, Miami .
This hotel would make a great girly retreat or a romantic break.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
We get many " girly weekends" and the Miami style poolside and deck at Cumberland were inspired by many years of living stateside in California. service as you recognised is our forte and rooms are updated constantly with our two maintenance/decorators. We will also have new LCD TV's by mid September in every room. Really pleased you enjoyed...Oh and by the way the Ventana Brasserie was Highly commended in the Bournemouth Tourism Awards 2009. Hope to see you again soon

chester
Reviewed 30 July 2010

This hotel looked recently refurbished in the 20/30 style very well done .The location to the beach and town was ideal but best of all the outdoor swimming pool heated and I could of spent ages in it .The staff are very friendly and helpful is deffoe worth a visit and I will be returning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Yes, the Cumberland was refurbished in 2007 in Art Deco yet Funky Trendy style and room inprovements are on going with New LCD TV;s being installed in September 2010. The pool is heated July, August and early September and is around between 20 and 25 degrees, quite balmy but great for adults and children alike. Your comments on the friendly service will be passed on and are great to haer as this has been our focus for the past 6 months

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I recommended The Cumberland to my sister and her family, as part of their holiday. Always difficult recommending a hotel and this was based on the impressive reception I had when I visited to get further details last month. Their overall experience was great - a lovely welcome from Sonny (?) when they arrived, a helpful young bar supervisor who serves a great cocktail (!) and clean, comfortable rooms. OK - so I didn't stay there myself but on the basis of my sister's comments, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Cumberland to any of my friends/family in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Really appreciate your mention of the two staff members Sonny and David, I will pass this on to them and when our staff member of the month is awarded , all these comments are taken into account at The Cumberland, really pleased they had a great stay

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My sisters wedding was in the Cumberland on 24th July and we spent a Friday and Saturday night there. From the moment we arrived (before check in time - not a problem we'll store your luggage, you go and relax by the pool!) it was a weekend to remember. The outdoor pool is amazing. Heated, clean and a really good size. The weather was glorious which always helps! But the atmosphere and ambience around the pool was heavenly. We were in a large party including a few under 6's and nothing was too much trouble. The bridal suite was ready early and all of the other rooms ready absolutely on time - reception even came to find us to say when the rooms were ready.

The rooms within our party were a mixture of standard doubles, seaview rooms with balconies, family rooms, large terrace rooms and the amazing bridal suite. All were different shapes and sizes but we all paid a price to reflect the rooms we chose. All were clean and well equipped with comfortable beds. Our particular room was a family on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel - with a great seaview from the bathroom window thrown in! We had 2 excellent nights sleep. There was a disturbance in the hotel (other guests) in the early hours of Saturday morning near one of our parties rooms. I did hear some people complaining about this to reception the next day - in my opinion the hotel staff dealt with the disturbance quickly and efficiently and what more could they do?!

On to the wedding - anyone considering the Cumberland for a wedding venue - do it! Lisa was brilliant, reassuring and calming! Both the ceremony room and the evening room were made up beautifully. Both had a real WOW factor. And the Pimms and canapes reception round the pool will be remembered as something so special. Great place for wedding photos as well. Looks like they got married abroad in some of them. The evening food was delicious and served to over 100 people very quickly and most importantly hot to all tables. If I had one really small niggle was we were asked to move inside at about 12.30am - presumably as the outside terrace is below bedrooms - it would have been nice to sit outside around the pool having cocktails a bit longer! Although in hindsight bed was probably a good idea at that point!

The location of the hotel is perfect - about 2/3 mins stroll to the cliff railway or zig zag path.

I really feel some of the other reviews on here have been unfair - I had a peek in at some of the un-refurbished rooms whilst they were being cleaned and even they were easily 3 star standard. I would say we were lucky - ours were definately 4 star.

Overall cannot fault the hotel - the wedding went off without a hitch helped along by the pleasant and courteous staff at the Cumberland and the amazing setting of the hotel. My sister would have written this herself but they are now sunning themselves in Bali! I will definately be back soon for a weekend - my daughter cant wait to get back in the pool!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Not sure how to respond to your very complimentary review. I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed the food, service , poolside and rooms at the Cumberland. Your one niggle was correct, we do have a good night sleep policy at the hotel and part of this is ensuring our sea view balcony rooms are not disturbed by poolside revellers in the early hours. Your comment regarding the rooms I was very pleased to see, We do have standard, premier and superior ocean view balcony rooms, and all are priced accordingly at this three star hotel, really appreciate you mentioning this point as it often goes over some peoples heads, once again thank you for the fantastic review for the Cumberland.

Beaconsfield
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Brian and his made my Mum and Dad's 50th Wedding a day to remember

We were looking for a venue for our parents 50th Wedding Anniversary/Renewal of vows in July of this year. We looked at quite a few hotels in the area and The Cumberland stood out by far with its Art Deco theme and the most amazing Oceania Room with the domed ceiling.
We had a small party of 30 and the team made the room look warm and intimate and every aspect of the event went so well.
Brian and his team helped with the initial set up of the projector and music system while simultaneously serving welcome drinks to the guests. The food was exceptional considering it was mass catering and the attentiveness of the staff was so good. Not too much interfering but there when needed for the champagne toast and cake cutting. If you are looking for a venue on a beautiful spot in Bournemouth with helpful staff and stunning Art Deco designed hotel The Cumberland Hotel is the place to go!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your compliments on the Cumberland Art Deco Hotel. When the Hotel was Refurbished in 2007 great care was taken in re-creating Art Deco splendour with Funky Modern Boutique twists, reallly appreciated you recognising this. Regarding Brian and the sales team, unlike most hotels, our sales team are hired for you from start to finish of your event and are always there during the actual event showing their passion and belief in the product they sell, thank You

Kevin wood
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We decided on a whim to take a short break in Bournemouth to show our 20 month old girl the sea and sand and the monkeys at Monkey World. I read reviews for many hotels in the town and decided upon the Cumberland as it was reviewed as friendly and affordable. The idea of an outdoor swimming pool appealed too. When we arrived for our mini break I never could have imagined I would be leaving having enjoyed one of the best holidays I've ever had. I've been a professional traveller and can be hard to please but this hotel stands out for me for its warm welcome and that fabulous pool.

The staff are friendly, polite and nothing is too much trouble. Everything we asked for was sorted out with a smile and genuine concern for our comfort. The outdoor pool is a gem. It has the feel of an LA boutique hotel with big lounger beds and sunloungers with large cushions. The pool itself is heated to a glourious temperature, no slow wade in to get past your middle just a lovely plunge into warm water. Our daughter loved it as did all the other children who were making full use of the pool on a Saturday morning. If noisy kids get on your nerves don't be put off, despite their joyful squeals the other adults seemed to be having a relaxing time soaking up the atmosphere.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and bright. We didn't have a sea view and I think when we go back we will upgrade to one. It's only in the room where the hotel's 3 star rating shows. Despite the recent refurbishment they are a little jaded but that didn't bother us in the sligtest we were having such a great time we stayed an extra night. We would have stayed longer if we could.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2010
Thanks for your appreciative review. The service we aim to give is the best, and all staff are constantly trained daily to ensure we offer the best available customer satisfaction. The outdoor pool is great isn't it!!! , we heat the pool mid June to mid September and it is quite balmy, particularly in the warm weather we have had since May, We also " switch gears" in July and august to accomodate families in every way we can, really pleased to see this review and to know you had a great time, see you again soon