“Art Deco delight !”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My Husband and I checked into the Cumberland for 1 night during the Bournemouth Air Show. It was an incredibly busy morning and after much faffing about at reception (on our part) we found the staff very friendly, efficient and tolerant of our general dizziness when checking in. As it was so busy there were attendants in the small hotel car park ensuring that residents obtained a parking space. I was a little annoyed that even though we had been able to park in a designated space that I still had to leave my car keys with reception. Owning a prestige car I was conscious of the fact that there was no insurance to cover my vehicle if a member of hotel staff decided to move it. The friendly receptionist however assured me that the hotel would take full responsibility for any damage to my vehicle whilst left under these conditions, which put my mind at rest.

We were very impressed with the décor of the public areas of the hotel, you would assume that you had walked into a 4* hotel. The outdoor pool and sundeck was lovely, it was just a shame that the weather dictated that we were unable to enjoy it. I have noted some of the more negative reviews in relation to the rooms and do understand that some may feel slightly cheated once they get into their actual room, as the décor of the main hotel area does raise expectations of what the rooms will be like, in essence above what you are actually greeted with once in the room. I am unable to comment on the superior rooms as I did not see one, however our room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and practical with bags of hot water in the bathrooms. As we only paid £69 for the night including breakfast we thought that we had great value for money. We never normally stay in hotels with a lower than 4* rating as we both have very high expectations. However what you get is clearly reflected in the price and my advice to the moaners would be to put your hand in your pocket and pay the extra to stay in a 4* hotel if you want the luxury element, and don’t let downstairs of the hotel fool you, after all it is a 3 * hotel. It will be nice when the television situation is sorted next month, however with such lovely public areas downstairs why anyone would want to lock themselves away in their room, unless they were unwell escapes me. My only request would be for some lamps on the bedside tables which would give a much nicer, cozy light in the rooms at night.

In order to escape the rain (and lack of planes) we opted for Sunday lunch in the restaurant. The staff were excellent and attentive and my roast rib of beef and giant homemade Yorkshire pud was great. My Husband and I had the 3 courses and a bottle of the house red(which was very pleasant for a house wine) all for the impressive sum of just under £65.00. We thought for what we got it was very good value for money and the portion sizes were giant.

In the evening as we could not face going out in the torrential rain we opted for just a main course (still feeling rather full from lunch) in the brasserie. I have to say I was not overly keen on the menu. I opted for Beer battered haddock which had been fried a bit too long making the fish a little dry. The chunky chips were very nice however. My Husband had the grilled swordfish which he enjoyed but did comment that his baby spinach was missing. The staff in the brasserie were not as attentive as in the restaurant at lunch, however they had, had such a busy day I would imagine they were pretty dead on their feet!

At breakfast there was a great choice of continental and cooked breakfast and again for what we paid it was absolutely fine.

In summary a great hotel for the price, and choice of places to stay in Bournemouth. I would have no hesitation to stay again, although I would probably not choose to eat in the brasserie down to personal preference, not the food as the menu was simply not my bag, so to speak.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Great view but rooms are a bit tired and have been decorated by Huggy bear.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Wow, not sure whether to take this as a compliment or not?? But I think i will take it as a compliment, if you believe your room to be ambient like an upmarket bordello, then perhaps lots of romantic couples will descend on us for their " fantasy" night away! I am presuming you had a sea view room with red carpet and black and red decor!! Really pleased you enjoyed the view, I must admit I did have to Google Huggy Bear, when I found out he was the flamboyant guy from Starsky and Hutch, i was more comfortable with your comment, Hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 21 August 2010

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Cumberland and what a fantastic hotel it is! Spotlessly clean (and I am a bit of a Monica!!), decor fabulous, staff so pleasant and helpful, amazing food....what more could you want? Oh yes, good location and ....YOU HAVE GOT IT! Especially with the air show going on, what a perfect place to be!
We didn't have a sea view room, but our room was lovely, super decor, tea,coffee etc replenished EVERY day,
We had a delicious breakfast every morning and ate evening meals in both the Ventana Brasserie and the main hotel restaurant, the service food in both was absolutely superb and excellent value for money!
We were able to get a parking spot every day, however due to the airshow it was extremely busy and our car was blocked in on the morning we were due to leave, however we mentioned it to the reception staff and the cars were moved immediately!
(Shame, if there was anywhere to be stuck,,,,the Cumberland is the place!)
Thank you to every member of staff for their hard work ,who made our stay such a pleasant one. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Best Ever Hotel is a title me and my staff love to hear. I will pass your comments on to staff in both restaurants and also the rest of the hotel. Regarding parking, due to the fact that the Cumberland is on the central flight path of the Air Show, the seafront road is closed to all traffic and parking for 5 days, this is why we double park during this event. I can tell you that the 900 sea front spaces are now back on line, and I do hope we see you return soon to the Cumberland.

Regards

Reviewed 14 August 2010

We have just returned from a five night stay at The Cumberland. The hotel is decorated to a high standard in Art Deco style, clean and very well maintained. We had a superior room on the top floor with a sea view and the view was stunning. The staff on reception, the waiters and the cleaners were all friendly it felt like they meant it when they wished you a nice day. There were only a couple of minor negatives - parking is very limited in the hotel car park and sister hotels and you may end up parking on the seafront road at £3 per day which is also very busy during the day. When we arrived, we couldn't park nearby in order to unload. I was surprised that a hotel of this standard didn't have safes in the room but there are facilities to take care of valuables at reception. Also there was a wedding during our stay and I would imagine the noise from the music could be a nuisance on the lower floors although we couldn't hear it on the top floor. However, this should not detract from an otherwise excellent hotel and we would love to come back and stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2010

I also hope to see you return again to the Cumberland and I am pleased you found the hotel excellent and service excellent during your stay. Regards to parking we do have 150 spaces on our resort site and there are 900 spaces at £3 for 24 hours on the seafront. During the summer months we are exceptionally busy and car parks are always generally full, however please note next time that you may park momenterily in the drive and our 24 hour portarage service will assist with your luggage swiftly so that you may find parking. Regarding entertainment noise, we operate a good night sleep policy, all guests in rooms above entertainment are informed by letter on the day so that they may choose alternative accomodation, we also have a sound reduction policy with all DJ's at midnight and also ear plugs are offered complimentary to all guests should they wish. I look foward to welcioming you back to The Cumberland and I will pass your thanks on to all staff

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Just spent a really lovely three days at The Cumberland with my 5 year old. The hotel was very clean and stylish. The staff were friendly and ultra-helpful - a problem with our TV was fixed before we had even returned to our room. We stayed in a very pleasant twin room but had a peak in at the sea-view rooms which looked stunning. The pool was crystal clear and lovely and warm. It was a bonus that when the weather wasn't great we could go next door and use the Suncliffe's lovely indoor pool too. The food was very good and not overpriced. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

So pleased you enjoyed your summer break with us at Cumberland. We do employ two maintenance engineers at Cumberland and we try to always offer speedy resolution to any issues. We are having new LCD screens fitted in all rooms in September so any TV issues will be short lived. The pool is one of our great assests at Cumberland, and maintained well at all times, Really pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 10 August 2010

My husband and I have just spent a thoroughly enjoyable weekend at the Cumberland, having experienced better service than some five star hotels we have stayed at. The staff seem genuinely concerned that guests have a nice time and cant do enough for you. The public rooms have an art deco theme which gives a lovely cosy luxurious ambience all round. We had dinner on saturday evening in Ventana, Brasserie and Bar overlooking the
pool deck, varied menu something for everyone, and not over priced. We had a really nice meal looked after really well by Christian restaurant manager then coffee and liquers in the bar, which was buzzing with couples , groups and families all enjoying themselves. On sunday morning we were lucky enough to have a table for breakfast outside in the sunshine, then Costa coffee , a real chilled out vibe on the pool deck.
We were attending a wedding reception on Sunday afternoon, one of the Receptionist was kind enough to lend me hat pins and saved me a trip to town! so helpful and kind.
I cant fault this hotel for the money we paid and will definately be returning very soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Its very pleasing for me to hear the lenghths my staff will go to for that extraordinary Customer Service, I will let Kasha on reception know how much you appreciated the hair pin. The weekends at Cumberland are quite liveley with many couples and families enjoying the unique ambience. I am also pleased you chose to eat in the award winning Ventana Brasserie and will pass your comments on to Cristian. Hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Service was very good. All the staff I dealt with were friendly and helpful. The rooms are on the basic side, however they are currently upgrading the tv's to LCD with DVD player.
The location is fantastic, right across the road from the beach. They do have parking at the hotel and the 2 neighbouring hotels but can still be hard to find one.
We ate breakfast and dinner there and enjoyed both, particularly breakfast.
Overall would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

thank you for your review. I will pass your comments regarding staff service to all at the Hotel. The Cumberland is a three star Hotel and as such has standard rooms which are modern, comfortable and functional.Sea view balcony rooms are obviously larger and more spacious. We are replacing All TV's on 20th september with brand new LCD TV's and most will have also DVD built in. We will also have a hotel information channel as an added feature. Rooms are continually being maintained and decorated. I am also pleased you enjoyed the food at both breakfast and dinner and hope you return to Cuimberland soon.