“Absolutely Awesome”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This Hotel is Beautiful. We went for our honeymoon and we had the most amazing time. The service was good, the food was delicious and the rooms were beautifully decorated and mordernised and was very clean. The location is perfect as it is overlooking the sea, close to the town centre and rail station. We would go back there again!

Reviewed 29 September 2010

This hotel is located an easy stroll from the excellent shopping in Bournemouth. We paid the extra for a sea view room and were pleasantly surprised to find it also came with a balcony. The room was clean and a good size. For some reason I had the best sleep each night for ages. The hotel bar and resturants are the best feature of the hotel, having been decorated in a modern/art deco style they complement the original look of the hotel. Food was absolutely fantastic. Best of all were the staff in the bars, resturant and the reception. Couldn't have been more helpful.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2010

Thank you for a great review which acknowledges our intensive staff training and constant improvement of both the hotels facilties, bars and rooms. Hope to see you return again soon

Reviewed 27 September 2010

My fiance and I booked the Cumberland Hotel for our wedding venue and reception in September 2010. Brian Robbins, our co-ordinator, and his team made the whole experience a pleasure from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble to ensure everything went as we had planned. Our guests commented on the fantastic food and the beautiful and stylish art deco design of the hotel particularly the stunning guest lounge area.
Our wedding day dreams came true thanks to all the staff at the Cumberland Hotel. We would have no hesitation in recommending a stay to anyone whether its for leisure or business. We will be making a regular visit on every wedding anniversary so we can be reminded of our wonderful day!

Reviewed 21 September 2010

First impressions are very good. There has obviously been a lot of money spent on the ground floor of the hotel with excellent dining and bar facilities. Unfortunately, the rooms are pretty dreadful. My room was dusty and had appalling quality furniture, with the knob missing off one of the chest of drawers. The television from the 1980's was so low down on the floor that I couldn't see the bottom half of the television whilst I lay down in the bed. There is a notice in the foyer advising guests that they are upgrading the televisons to flat screens so hopefully this won't be a problem for other guests in the future. I am dumbstruck as to how they can spend so much money on the premises downstairs, and still have such shoddy rooms. It's as though they were completely rennovating the hotel when they ran out of money! Such a shame as it could be an far better hotel with a bit of effort. The evening meal and breakfast were very good with an excellent variety. There was a very noisy wedding/band/disco that went on to the early hours on the second day of our stay.

• Stayed: September 2010
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

Thank you for your " flattery", regarding deceives, I am a bit dumstruck here. You rightly point out that the Ground Floor and public areas, Food and service in the hotel are excellent! The rooms are a very good quality three star room, and are charged accordingly. The furniture is actually of the highest quality solid wood furniture, not cheap lamenated furniture often found in many new hotels! I do apologise that a knob came off your dresser, I am sure this would have been replaced within hours if you had reported it. You are correct about the TV's and we are in the process of replacing them all with state of the art plasmas, they will be finished and ALL rooms will have these TV's by the 26th September 2010, complete with a hotel info channel and many rooms also have DVD facilty.
On you question about running out of money, the answer is a definitive NO, we have continued to pour millions into the hotel since we purchased it in 2006, both in public areas, bedrooms and infastructure, I have no doubt if we had chose to redecorate the rooms first, you would have asked why we had not done our restaurants, lounges and leisure areas and Bars. The fact is , we are almost there and still offering rooms such as yours for under £90 for two people including a great breakfast, in spite of the millions spent and constant facilty upgrades. I thank you for your comments, although somewhat unfair, and would also remind you that the Cumberland is a full service hotel, not a lodge type accomodation with virtually no staff cost. Most of our guests are enchanted by the Cumberland experience and I am sorry you were not

Reviewed 21 September 2010

Stayed in one of the unrenovated rooms but it was quite large if a bit tired.Big problem is squeaking floorboards both above and our own so probably drove folks underneath mad too.Public rooms are art deco and well done,food average but value for moneyand wine not overpriced.Surprised at being charged 5p a day for having newspaper delivered hardly worth billing it and paper boy? was noisy.More information in the rooms re bus services would be helpful
Both my daughter and I would go again although they do need to upgrade the entertainment at the sister hotels.Fabulous views from the rooms at the front with sea view.

• Stayed: September 2010
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

I am glad you would plan to return and appreciate your positive comments. Your comments on the 5p delivery charge are noted and I will check your room regarding securing Floorboards. We do only have 8 non redecorated rooms out of 102. The last 8 rooms will be completed by Christmas. I can also inform you that all rooms now have freeview Plasma Sharp televisions.

Reviewed 20 September 2010

We are local and I took my wife and mother in law for a sunday lunch 19/09/2010. It was such a good experience. The unusual thing these days is that each person who served us or who we spoke to were really nice and on top form. That s rare and the food was really nice as well. The whole place has a lovely look to it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

thanks for the great review regarding service and food, I look foward to welcoming you back here in the near future

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Stayed in an ocean view room, and the view of the ocean was indeed the highlight of the room. The bed was short and we both struggled sleeping as at 5ft7 my feet were hanging off the end. The room was also quite stuffy, but you couldn't open the window as the noise from the wedding below was so loud. The shower was at a fixed height, and I think was fixed for a 5ft person and I had to lean backwards to wash my hair. Plus the water was tepid on the second day. The towels were tiny and there was no hook on the back of the bathroom door.
The tv was dinky and had all of 4 channels and no remote control, even though it was a tv with freeview. No headboards and we both hit our head on the lights above the bed. On the good side there was plenty of wardrobe space and the shower gel smelt lovely. The breakfast was good, and the restaurant meals are nice if a little pricey. Parking was horrendous and we had to park on the street and get up early to move the car.
Very frustrating as the public areas have been updated to an opulten art deco theme, shame the bedrooms let it down.

1  Thank row78

Thank you for your compliments and constructive criticism regarding your stay at the Cumberland. I would respond as follows, All beds at the Cumberland are 6' long and I am speechless as to why a 5'7" high person would not fit in them, furthermore most sea view rooms have Super-king wide beds too, which is much larger than a standard 4'6" wide double.
All sea view rooms have doors as well as windows opening onto balconies or terraces, so again with night time temperatures around 10-12 degrees, unsure why they would be stuffy!
Regarding the bathroom, I will investigate the shower height in your room, although with a fixed shower head it is hard to please everyone. The temperature of the water I can only think was due to the mixer head being misused. We do have a contract with Aquacare who regularly check water temperature, i have never heard of tepid water in this sea view room before.
Parking we have 55 spaces which are all free of charge, there are a further 900 spaces in front of the hotel on the seafront which are free overnight or £3 for 24 hours, unlike many hotels we do not charge for parking and there are plenty of spaces in the vicinity, there are a further 110 spaces in our associate hotels next door.
we do have notices all over the hotel stating that our new plasma TV system along with Ariel will be completed by 26th September 2010. I can only apologies if the selection of channels at your time of stay was unacceptable, this obviously has been rectified at great expense with our new freeview state of the art system. Once again thank you for your kind comments and your constructive ones and I do hope this explains somewhat some of your disappointments