“Beautiful Decor”

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
swindon
“Beautiful Decor”
Reviewed 6 February 2011

After booking a good deal from internet when we arrived they had no record of it, but the staff dealt with this very professionally and politely, asking us to wait a short while whilst they sorted things out. After a 10 min wait they told us that they had upgraded us to a sea view room. On arriving at the room it was beautiful,I would like to thank them for not fitting us into one of the small rooms that are normally left. Can I say all the staff at this hotel are extremely friendly, efficient and all seem to enjoy their jobs, working together as a team, nothing is too much trouble for them, which in this day and age is very unusal. We ate in the restaurent last night and despite them having a function on in the other room our food was lovely and served without waiting.

The ambience in this hotel is lovely, it is decorated in an art neauvou style with a lot of thought going into the accessories and colour schemes very well appointed hotel.

Hopefully going there again in the very near future.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,162)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I shared a twin room (214) with a friend arriving Wed 2nd Feb, staying for 3 nights. We only paid £143 in total for 1 night dinner and the remainder bed and breakfast and it was a bargain!
Very impressed with the standard of the room and food, I am wheat free and they accomodated this and provided wheat free bread at breakfast. It's funny how the reviews on here vary, our room was hot the whole time, even without the heating being on so slept with the windows open (in February!!) but I heard other people saying they had no heating so couldn't work that out. Also, a slight negative, the floor boards did creak a bit so could hear people walking about upstairs and you could hear the TV coming from next door but apart from this, I still managed to get a good night sleep.
The hotel is in an excellent location, only 10-15 mins walk to the town. The bar even provided ice buckets so we could drink some wine in our room. The hotel also provided an iron and ironing board during the duration of our stay.
All the staff were helpful and friendly and could not fault the service.
Hope to stay here again in the summer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Great location, fantastic Art Deco structure...but is let down by some things that can be changed and others that would be harder to fix. When we entered our room 414 checking in on the 18th Jan for 4 nights, intending to rest and work, I was surprised to find that there were no table lamps or any soft lighting....there were a variety of sunken ceiling bulbs which gave a dingy light. I asked reception for table lamps which never arrived. The room and bathrooms were a great size but desperately in need of decoration, BUT were clean. Side sea view was great! Staff were helpful, if not a little too accommodating to guests (?) who were allowed to bring boxed takeaway pizza into the lounge area on the evening of the 20th Jan ...they sat and ate them unchallenged. Breakfast was good value, and not allowing under 14 year olds to the buffet is a good move. Decor and music was confused. The main reason I chose this hotel was because of the Art Deco promise but I found some gems of decor whilst much of it (like the men’s suites) were too close to the style of the 80's and didn’t really work. On my first breakfast morning I was really pleased to hear Ella Fitzgerald singing the American songbook, but it was ruined when it was followed by a Cruise type singers tape playing unremarkable songs..badly. This hotel's identity is confused. All of this I can stand BUT the thing that made my stay awful was the lack of sound proofing. On my first night we were woken throughout the night by the man in the room below coughing, a woman along the corridor coughing and the man in the room next door snoring......the next night, there were people tangoing in the room next door at 1am...we could hear every instruction, cd and dip....we could hear every word of the man next door having a conversation about his property investments, the man below….....and the stay continued like this. If you walked in the corridor, you could hear clearly every word of conversations as though there were no doors. I have never experienced anything like this. Part of the problem is the 1930's building , a period well known for having poor sound insulation, but its not helped by doors that don't fit and hollow wardrobes that allow access to the bathrooms through a trap door. ..creating a guitar-like sound box. What a shame...I came back to London exhausted from lack of sleep. I didn’t miss the lamps in the end as I stayed out as long as possible to avoid the noise and had to keep the TV on to mask it. Parking was a challenge and we very nearly had to park out on the main road as all the hotels were full ….do be aware that parking isn’t free on the road, you need to be out there at 8.30 feeding a meter. I would love to think I could go back as there is much that’s good……but I can’t, I must sleep at night ….shame...has great possibilities.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2011
thank you for your comments, good and bad regarding your stay at Cumberland. I have inspected room 414 personally and do not understand your comments regarding the bathroom or bedroom. The bathroom is very modern and large with the very large modern tiles, all matching with a new bathroom suite. the room as you state is large, newly decorated and carpeted last year, with two inset lights above each bed for reading, another in the room itself, and one wall light above the dresser which does give ambient light for moods.
Regarding the sound, I cannot comment on each individual assesment you have made of every room around you, but I am sure that we have never had such a broad description of noise as this, and can only think it was a one off. We have had issues with one room making noise, but not all rooms surrounding you. With regard to corridor sound from rooms, in fairness, even a newly built hotel room emits sound through the main entry door, I know this to be a fact from travelling often myself. We do all of us take responsibilty for noise in bedrooms at certain times of day, and I am sorry that you were subjected to inconsiderate guests, particularly tangoing at 1am, it is a point to note that this week you stayed was the Anual International dancing championships at the BIC and as such the hotel had many rooms booked by dancers from around the globe!
Regarding the pizza incident, I will investigate, but can tell you we do have a policy in All public areas and poolside that guests are not to bring their own food into the hotel, or indeed drink. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
The music has several different output locations, the restaurant is different to the Bar and poolside, we do often play a more mellow Jazz in the mornings, and most often afternoons we would play Chill Music, or Lounge music which is more modern and does fit the Ventana Bar atmosphere. The decor is a modern mix of Deco with a twist, whilst rooms are decorated with a more basic modern style, one accent wall with three painted walls, as a three star hotel, I feel our rooms are excellent quality and value for money. The rate you paid was £50 total a night for two people for a side sea view with breakfast, in any hotel of this quality I do believe this to be excellent. I understand you requested a quiet room, and everybody has different noise tolerance levels. The Cumberland is a vibrant and busy hotel, and not badly sound proofed, and al I can do is apologise for any inconvenience and let you know that your points are noted and the ones that are easily remidied will be addressed

regards

Kevin Wood
Director
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 4 February 2011

being from Rio, I am used to great views and beaches, but Cumberland comes a great second and reminds me of some of the art deco hotels we have on Copacabana. Had a sea bview room with terraza and was great to wake each morning to views of the sands and ocean, it was very cold outside but remained sunny, the room was large and trendy, although bathroom a little small.
The hotel is very stylish, as are the staff in it, very colourful and full of energy to assist you. You can tell this hotel is operated with a great passion, they had two UK national awards on display which they had just won, i am sure weell deserved, will definitly return here if I am back in the UK.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2011

booked very last minute and paid for one of the more expensive rooms with a seaview. what a letdown, the room was very tacky, the decor was very tired the papered ceiling looked like it was about to fall down and the bathroom fittings were old on top of that there was a mass brawl in the room above us which kicked off at 2.30 am we called reception a couple of times but there wasnt anyone there, i told the receptionist this on booking out but all she was worried about was me paying the bill im a pretty easy going person but to pay £109 for that lot made me wish we didnt stay the night and save our hard earned money. On the positive side the (ventera) bar is a wonderful place to have a few drinks. I know the hotel has spent money on doing up the (seaview) rooms but that was a few years ago and for the prices they charge i would expect better than that

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
It is super to hear good feedback about the Ventana Bar and Restaurant. Regarding your room, all sea view rooms are extremeley good three star standard or better, I feel i must point out that although many beleive the hotel is of higher grade, it is only three star, and £109 for a sea view balcony room with full breakfast on a weekend is still good value for money. The points you raise are not issues I would consider worthy of a bad review. Bath taps are recent within the past 5 years and the ceiling wall paper is anaglypta painted white! Not sure of the particular room you were in , however all our rooms are inspected periodically by our team of maintenance and decorators. The disturbance in the room above is unfortunate and often beyond the hotels control, I would hazzard a guess that the night managers were dealing with this when you called to reception, apologies for this. I thank you for your comments.

Kevin Wood
Director
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This is a quality and stylish hotel in an excellent location at a bargain price. The staff are plentifull, smart, young, energetic and eager to please. Everyone had a smile and was polite and nothing was too much trouble. We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant on both days of our stay, both good quality and served with enthusiasm. Remembering that this is not the Ritz or the Savoy in London, the hotel was far above our expectations in every way. The rooms were spacious, stylish and impeccably clean, as were the bathrooms. My only dissapointment was that we had only booked for two nights!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Were very disappointed because we originally booked the Suncliffe hotel and were told this was closed. We had booked this hotel because it had an indoor pool. On arrival at the Cumberland we were greeted really warmly and told that because our booking had been changed we would receive an upgraded room and also a free evening meal. We were also able to use the facilities of a nearby hotel. The staff couldnt have been more obliging, nothing was too much trouble and when we went to our room we had a fabulous sea view and balcony. It is a really lovely hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Thank you for a really lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2011