“5th Time stay at The Cumberland”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My husband decided to treat me for my birthday with a re-visit to our favourite hotel!
As usual The Cumberland did not dissapoint on any front. Food, service and room were all A1.
Hope to be back as soon as possible. To be honest would not want to stay anywhere else now when we come to Bournemouth.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2011

Its great to see you return for a 5th time, its things like this that make us feel like we have got it right, see you soon for your sixth visit, promise I wont mention the Red Devils!!

Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,654)

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Had 2 nights here and I can't praise this hotel enough. The staff are so effecient, polite and all work hard with the standard you would expect from a 5 star hotel. They cater extremely well for functions, which was the purpose of our visit, with good food, service etc. All the public areas of this hotel are lovely and very well decorated. Breakfast was hot and plenty of it, in fact all the food we had at the hotel was very good standard. Our room was nice and comfortable. There is ample parking which is free which is also a bonus. We are already planning to go back to this hotel in the summer looking forward to it. Would highly recommend this one.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

Amazing that you recogniszed the 5 star service at the 3 star Cumberland. The summer is amazing and vibrant here, with poolside BBQ's and DJ's, this year we have changed the chillouts to Retro Pool Parties so hope to see you back in the summer

Reviewed 5 March 2011

So I wanted a getaway destination where my husband and I could relax and do something cultural, for a one night stay to interupt the long January coldness. The Cumberland had it all - a gorgeous bar and restaurant serving super drinks and tasty food from friendly and attentive staff. A view over the bay towards the Isle of Wight making it feel like a real holiday and a short walk from The Russell Coates Museum which had 100% culture on display. Bin-go!
Whilst the rooms felt and looked like a 'travel lodge' compared to the oppulence of the reception, they afforded a peaceful night's sleep, the staff in the reception area and restaurant/bar made up for it. A superb welcome from the moment we arrived made it feel like a proper holiday instead of just a night away to relax, rewind and revel by the sea!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Really pleased you thoroughly enjoyed a relaxing break at Cumberland. although weekends are vibrant, the weekdays are excellent for total relaxation, and we like to think the service we offer is top notch, thanks for recognizing this

Reviewed 5 March 2011

Our Wedding Day was absolutlely wonderful and that was mostly down to Brian Robbins and his team. Both my family and friends had a brilliant day and we couldn't have asked for more. I'm so pleased I chose The Cumberland and I would highly recommend them to anyone who will listen! It was everything I wanted for my big day.

• Stayed: January 2011
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2011

Great comments which I will personally pass on to Brian and all the staff, So pleased we could make your big day Perfect,

Reviewed 1 March 2011

We stayed in room 413 which has a fantastic view and ate in the Ventana brasserie on both nights. The food was absolutely first class! The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The room was a little tired - wallpaper didn't meet and some mould in the bathroom - we did however notice that the decorators were arriving on the fourth floor when we left so hopefully this is being put right.

Our only complaint would be that on the first night there was a function on until midnight and the music was very loud. If the hotel had advised us of the function then we would have stayed out longer!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Thank you for a fair a sincere review. I will pass on your comments to all in Ventana Brasserie regarding the first class food. Regarding the rooms, of course we are constantly maintaining and upgrading and at each juncture with feedback from guests we address issues as and when they arise. We do have a good night sleep policy and all rooms directly above functions are issued with a letter advising of music. Normally 4th floor rooms are protected, unless a fire door was opened, in any case apolgies for this. We all hope to see you return to Cumberland very soon

Reviewed 25 February 2011

Spent a great weekend at the Hotel super breakfast (watch out for the plates they are HOT) makes a change to have food on a hot plate. The staff were excellent and could not have been more friendly or helpful would go back again without any hesitation.

Frank

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

Great to here you had a super weekend at the hotel. RE the hot plates, I totally agree, nothing worse than cool food, thats why we always insist on hot plates at meal times. Hope to see you back soon and thankyou for the great review

Reviewed 19 February 2011

I found myself booking a 3 night break for my parents as a Christmas present, through a company called In1Solutions....not sure if they are affiliated direct with the Cumberland or not as reasons will become clear later. Clearly the company has no desire to adhere to any type of customer service, as they failed to honour a price confirmed for my parents.
My parents stay at the Cumberland every year in room 211 in August and like every year and this time would recommend the hotel for the food, service and everything.

They returned 3 days later and commented to me about the great break they had apart from.......being charged an extra £125+ for their stay.........which the hotel reception were clearly advised by myself that upon checkout to contact me and I would pay the bill. This did not happen and my parents were made to foot the extra charges on their credit card even after stating Reception had been told numerous times about this.

To date and this is a month later I have not had the courtesy of a reply from In1Solutions even after agreeing with the hotel that In1Solutions should foot the extra charge for their error and their level and customer service is a disgrace in my opinion.

The actual break for my parents was a 5 star experience as always as the Cumberland looks after them perfectly every year for the last 20 years or so, but who they choose to allow bookings with and their non ability to reply to me is disgusting even after nearly an email a day to them.

I have written this review in the hope that my search for the Hotel owner to contact me and discuss this shoddy service at best can be rectified and the correct price of the break as confirmed in an email honoured.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
kevinwood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2011

Thank you for contacting me via this review site. I am very pleased that your parents enjoyed a 5 star stay at the Cumberland in January, I will pass this on to all key personell at the Hotel.
Regarding the mistake by the company who manages our booking engine, unfortunatley I cannot assist with your enquiry!
As far as the Cumberland is concerned, the booking was registered on our January sale rate of £42 a room with breakfast per night for 3 nights, totally £126 for a three nights stay two people, I believe our booking engine may have offered you the rate of £42 a room in total for three nights! This is a matter you must take up with them direct. Being ever conscious of customer service, we did on arrival also upgrade your parents to a sea view balcony room, which is normally £40 per night, In effect offering a sea view superior balcony room at £126 for the total stay for two people with breakfast.
Regarding payment, it is very difficult for us to contact relatives of clients for payment on departure. we have a strict third party payment system were the cardholder must be present unless fowarding documents in advance. With over 100 rooms it would be exceptionally difficult to offer this service, I do hope you understand and I apologies if there was any musunderstanding on this point.
Should you wish to offer this gift in future I would suggest calling the hotel direct, we always offer to match the internet rate by phone, then we can also take care of any pre payment you wish to make. I will also bring your grievance up at my next meeting with the comapny that operates our booking engine

kevin Wood