“A bit dated”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just got back from one night at the Queens, on the whole not a bad experience, food was good and the place was clean and tidy, but generally quit dated.The rooms were ok. But very thin walls so you could hear everything next door. Not great over a Valentine’s day night!! The pool was on the cool side, with the steam room out of action and the sauna needing a refurb due to benches starting to rot. Generally the service was good. I suppose at the end of the day you pay s your money and takes your choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Reviewed 13 February 2012

As a school we booked our Xmas do there for western theme,bucking bronco and disco with buffet and set meal.We all dressed up and were looking forward to a good night but it was a complete let down.1st off we were shown to the tables and waited for the waiters/waitresses to bring out the food,the buffet food was placed on tables but not made clear which tables they were for so other people took from our tables,the food was awful the sandwiches were all hard on the outside and a lot were seafood,there wasn't enough other food to cater for everyone and they took it away after about half hour.The set food menu was ok but not worth the money.They brought out some chips as we complained.The bronco was the main feature having to watch people from other parties as well as our own for 2 hours without any music going on we thought it would be a sideline with a disco as not everyone went on the bronco.Then finally at 10pm they put on the music which was awful a lot of our group left by then.I wrote a complaint letter and we were offered afternoon tea 2 weeks after my complaint email was sent.We went to the tea and it was tea and coffee in urns in the bar area that the hotel guest could use with little fruit cakes that the children at the school could of made just as good .For a hotel that was meant to be making an apology for such awful service and entertainment the afternoon tea was a disgrace and our school will not be using this hotel ever again.Even when we turned up at the hotel the reception didn't know we were coming or where to send us and the staff just walked off.I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank glittabug

This is terribly sad. I am always most swift to apologize when mistakes have been made or if we have not delivered on a promise.

Hitherto, I cannot understand why the Hotel is victim to such malice? I have liaised with the reviewer personally over the course of several emails where I kindly offered the use of the Hotel to enjoy an afternoon tea, and cake in response to the reviewers distress at not fully enjoying a Christmas party at the Hotel.

But, clearly this kindness and generosity was still not at the expected standard. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy the themed Wild West evening with a bucking bronco and disco.

I do hope the next General Manager you liaise with responds more favourably than I have.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Centrally located, friendly staff, this hotel is well located to access all the amenities of Bournemouth......we will be going back to stay at the Queens again.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your kind words on to the team.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

every thing about the hotel was great,and really good value for money,the breakfast were really loverly great choice plenty of it all nicely cooked the evening meals were fantastic could not have got better anywhere ,all the staff were very helpfull ,a special thank you to pattrick in the restrurant,the bedrooms were loverly and keeped nice and clean ,will defentley use this hotel again, great location for buses ,,beach ,shops,thanks all the staff for making our wedding anniversary break special we stayed from 29/1/2012 up to 3/2/2012l pauline george

Room Tip: we stayed on the fourth floor the rooms are a good size very cosy
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blondyCoventryUk

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your kind words on to Patryk.

Many congratulations once again on your anniversary; I am pleased you were given a complimentary upgrade to a superior bedroom.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Very good value for money, the room was clean and cosy, bed very comfortable, shower with a perfect pressure, the food was just amaaaazing!! I absolutely loved it. Great location,just next to the beach and maybe 10 mins away from the centre. Overall, we had a very nice time there, the only thing that could look better was the swimming pool and the steam room which didn`t work at all, the gym was small as well but I think there were all the basic machines u need while staying over few nights. And the breakfast could be a bit later for people who come to relax and not to work, I came with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday, so it was a little hard to wake up so early in the morning ;) Anyway, if I was to come back I would come back to the Queens Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonia G

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We paid £98 for two nights B&B fri and sat what fantastic value, our room over looked the sea and was a family room so lots of space. Location is one of the best points of this hotel 10min max to sea or town centre. Breakfast was fantastic all you can eat buffet cooked or cereal. When we went hotel was i would say 75% over 65 which for us was great no noisy yobbo's, only bad bits if you could call it that was pool was very cold and steam room did not seem to work and in our room as pointed out in other reviews the water pressure is very poor so bath only. If we stay in bournemouth again we will be going back to The Queens Hotel

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Torre T

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed the excellent breakfast we offer. We have experienced incorrect temperatures with the pool due to the severe weather. I am delighted to note this has been rectified.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

I try and stay in hotels with gyms and pools to give me something to do of an evening when I'm away working. The gym in this hotel was poor. I small room with no natural light, cramped, with broken equipment. It was so poor that after my first use I went running along the front instead. A much better option.
The meeting room we used was much better, nice and light, with tea and buscuits in constant supply. I also had a lovely big room on the corner. I enjoyed the stay but expected more of a gym with the place calling itself a spa.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank GlyderFawr

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am disappointed that the gym was not as expected, the swimming pool area and spa is in the lower level of the Hotel and unfortunately it is impossible for us to provide natural light. But we do try to recompense this with good lighting a flat screen TV and many mirrors.

I am pleased you enjoyed your run on the beach; the Hotel is ideally positioned for your benefit here.

And similarly I am delighted you liked the meeting room, which I suppose you could justify the constant supply of biscuits after your cardiovascular endeavours.