“Nice and friendly but very very tired”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Villemoustaussou, France
“Nice and friendly but very very tired”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Just had 2 lovely days in Bournemouth and stayed at this hotel. The staff are very friendly and keep the hotel clean. The spa was nice and the pool was pleasant with the exception of the hot tub which was grimy around the water line. The breakfast was quite nice and cooked properly. We did not eat evening meal there. The downside was the bedroom, in particular the bathroom. It was all rather dated and the bathroom was a mess. It was kept clean but the floor was split and the vanity unit was rotting away at the base which produce a damp oudour smell, The extractor fan was not working either.
We noticed that some of the room were being refreshed so if your lucky next year you might get one of them.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am pleased that our staff looked after you and sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your room. We are working on a huge amount of refurbishment at the moment, so please contact our General Manager, Daniel Marsh on 01202 554415 to discuss having a new room when you return.
James Gordon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We went to the hotel for an organised dinner and dance so it wouldn't have been our first choice, but we won't be visiting again! Its very jaded and poor quality and service is also quite poor although they try their best! I asked if it would be possible to have afternoon tea and the poor young man looked at me as if I was speaking a different language!

Breakfast was poor with everything having run out and slow service to fill it back up again.

I had phoned the spa the week before to check availability and am still waiting for a call back. When I called in on the day to see if there was any availability I was met with incredulity at the question and no apology when I pointed out that I was still waiting for a call back.

The room was ok - very clean, but the constant tapping from the radiator kept us awake half the night.

The food at dinner was excellent but the service wasn't very good and the staff definitely need re-training. When we asked for wine, the bottle was brought, shown to us and then plonked on the table in front of us!

The hotel reminded us of Fawlty Towers and is definitely in need of a massive make-over and staff re-training.

Room Tip: Don't bother - choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. You mention that the hotel is in need of a massive-make over which is what we are currently doing, so I am not sure when you stayed exactly.
But anyway I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and do hope that you return in the future to see the work that we have done.
James Gordon

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We bought a voucher through Living Social and after looking on Trip Adviser at the reviews i had my doubts on whether we would have a nice time or no.
We had a great time, the service was great and the food was absolutely lovely and staff very helpful and friendly. We also used to spa which was also very nice and relaxing. The room was spacious and very clean. Great location with not even a 5 minute walk to the beach and about 20 minute walk into the town which was just ideal. We had a lovely time here and are hoping to return again next year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that your stay was great and everything was to your satisfaction.
I do hope that you return next year and if you do, please contact our General Manager and he will look after you.
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My son's graduation had a early start and I didn't want to risk missing any or being late as I live over 2 hours away so I was looking for an inexpensive, clean bed for the night. Booked via Expedia (who were amazing over the phone - hadn't tried that before) and am still astonished at the good value for money this hotel provided. The reception staff where charming, friendly and helpful, arranging taxi's and providing mobile phone chargers for forgetful guests. The rooms were comfortable, quite spacious and clean. I didn't eat any meals in the hotel or use the spa (but I went down to look at it and the pool looked lovely). Location is great and overall this was much better than I was expecting. It was the perfect location for our needs, walking distance to the BIC if its not raining and you have comfortable shoes on (which it was and I didn't).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review. I am extremely pleased that your stay was perfect for you and that our staff looked after you so well. When you choose to return please try our food, we have an excellent chef. Please contact our General Manager Daniel Marsh on 01202 554415 for a future stay when you are ready.
darwen
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Well located hotel... steps away from the sea...

The hotel is comfortable and rooms are well equipped BUT I have to say that the hotel looses points in the breakfast area - I booked the hotel and paid £5 for breakfast and quite frankly I wish I had not... on the first day the food was COLD and scarce... the second morning thinking I would beat the system I ordered fresh off the menu (Porridge followed by Poached Eggs) BUT I was served with the Egg first... I was going to eat in one night BUT to be frank the food was a complete downer... I skipped breakfast on the last day and went to Wetherspoons - that was great!

Yes I would go again BUT I would be steering well clear of the breakfast!

Room Tip: Try and get a front room... back rooms are HOT... even in October needed a fan on 24 hours a day!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank paul m
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you did not enjoy breakfast. We have addressed this now with the restaurant manager so I am sure this won't happen again. Please come back and try the breakfast again as I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Poole
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I am so glad I read these reviews after we came back from an enjoyable afternoon tea earlier today courtesy of Groupon at The Queens Hotel...

The staff were very attentive and polite; after 'checking in' we were directed to the the dining room where we were shown to our table...
Once there we were offered our tea or coffee choice... We were also advised that part of the dining room would be used for bingo and where we ok with that... Which we were, it didn't affect us...
Our glass of bubbly was poured at our table, then the food arrived... Plenty of it... In fact we didn't eat it all... The ONLY gripe I personally would have is it would have been nice if our scones and brownies had been warm... Just coming out of the oven would be nice.. They not only taste very fresh this way but also smell delicious and the scones really don't take long to cook... Having said that it didn't take away any of the loveliness of the tea...
The staff serving us were always there with a smile and offer of any more tea/ coffee... Along with a sense of humour from the waiter whose name I didn't get but he is a 'tad older' than Darren.. Lol...Who also was very helpful..
As we are local to the area having good service and food will make us not only tell our friends about it but also go back again if we get a chance to do so...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review. I am pleased to hear that everything was most enjoyable and our staff looked after you so well. I will talk to the chef about the temperature of the scones and take on board your comments.
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The staff were great and the room my wife and I had was well maintained and comfortable. By contrast other members of the family had rooms that were in need of repair and were directly above a function room with loud music that didn't finish until 1am.
We all ate dinner in the dining room. We had the fixed price menu (with options for 1, 2 or 3 courses). We all chose 2 courses and the food was well cooked and well presented. We were billed for 3 courses although this was amended at reception without a quibble.
Overall I would say this is a hotel with good staff doing their best but hampered by the need for some refurbishment and maybe better management control and staff training.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbished and in the centre of the hotel (away from the function room...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am glad your stay was all good and I am sorry that the function downstairs disturbed you. We are currently refurbishing many rooms and many areas in the hotel at the moment so when you choose to return, please request a newly refurbished room.