“Management are a disgrace”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Management are a disgrace”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the positives of my stay during the Bournemouth Air Festival. The reception staff were fantastic. Very chatty and happy, and extremely helpful during an exceptionally busy time in the hotel. A real credit to them.
My room was also nice. Large, well appointed and very comfortable after working long days on my feet.
Needing to stay an additional night (Sunday 1st September) I secured a different room at a very reasonable rate; another tick for the reception and reservation staff. I checked out of my original room on Sunday morning, and, as my new room wasn't ready yet, I checked my bag in to reception, saying I'd collect it when I returned from work that evening.
Returning to the hotel after a very hot, very long day, I asked the receptionist for my key and bag only to be told "Don't worry, your friend took your bag."
As my bag contained all of my clean clothes, toiletries, spare cash and house keys I was more than a little panicked and annoyed.
To cut a long story very short, my bag had been given away to one of the RAF display teams staying at the hotel and was now on its way to an airbase in North Yorkshire. I only discovered this by having a chance conversation with a member of the display team who had remained back at the hotel, as the hotel's CCTV was useless and showed nothing.
Relieved to have found my bag we made arrangements for its return and I went to see if I could get some toiletries from reception. Deodorant yes, toothbrush and toothpaste, sadly, no, as the receptionist didn't have a key to the toothbrush drawer. He apologised and asked if I'd mind collecting one in the morning.
The morning arrived and, putting on the same clothes I'd worn for the best part of 20 hours the day before, I headed off to reception for said toothbrush.
Unfortunately, the "gentleman" behind the desk told me he'd just sold the last one but I could go to the nearby garage and buy one. This really cheesed me off. Relaying the previous day's sorry episode, I asked if he would send a member of staff to the garage to procure me a toothbrush, seeing as how it was their fault I was in this situation.
In a tone of voice reminiscent of a moody teenager the "gentleman" said "I'm not sending anyone anywhere. I just told you where you can buy one" and off he walked.
What made this even worse was that I since discovered that this "gentleman" was Daniel Marsh, the general manager!
On receipt of my bag almost two weeks after being given away by the hotel staff I wrote a letter (not an email, an actual letter) to Mr Marsh asking for his response to the whole shoddy affair, particularly his disgraceful approach to customer service. I asked him, by way of atonement, to consider making a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund, seeing as how the RAF had to pay for his staff's mistake. How did Mr Marsh respond? By ignoring my letter, that's how. Not a dickie bird, so I wrote to James Gordon, seeing as how he regularly comments on TripAdvisor, for his response. Two months later I'm still waiting for any acknowledgement of my two letters.
If you read this Mr Gordon, I have given up hope of the RAF receiving anything for their troubles, or me for mine. Just know that you and Mr Marsh are the worst possible advertisement for your hotel. The pair of you are an absolute disgrace.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank Steve C
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am so sorry but I have not received a letter from you, maybe it has been lost in the post as I was not aware of the situation and the issues you had with your bag and toothbrush.
Please send me the letter again and I will respond as I do with all letters addressed to me personally.
James Gordon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Not one to write a scathing review but this has to be done. Food and service absolutely terrible. Entrance to the venue was good when we arrived for our James Bond themed works Xmas do. However, that is the only positive thing I could say about that. The arrivals drink of "champagne" was dire orange juice with maybe a drop of some fizz!

We then sat to wait for our food which took forever to arrive only for several waiting staff to be sent away numerous times with our main course. The reason for sending them away was we didn't even receive our starters yet. When our starters came, I had a "salmon" mousse which was on the verge of melting into a liquid. It tasted absolutely disgusting. Must have been sat out in a warm kitchen for hours. The wholemeal toast that came with it were 2 x 2p sized bits of hard toast. At least I had my bread roll before my starter. That was the best bit of food there!

When our mains eventually arrived once we had finished out starter, my turkey dinner was also in edible. The "roast potatoes" that were advertised were actually boiled potatoes! Yuk! The manager was called over who apologised and made some feeble excuse about the restaurant being busy. Don't stack your venue to the rafters if you can't cope with the numbers. The dessert was a chocolate banoffee cheesecake which was basically a chocolate shell with some weird creamy jelly inside. Suffice to say, I didn't eat anything that evening save for a bread roll.

As compensation, we did get a free bottle of wine (whoopie) for the dreadful service, food delays and mix up. Not a bad days takings for the hotel when they are charging £28 per head.

Forgot to add, the waitress knock my friends bread roll on the floor and couldn't be bothered to replace it. No surprise she went hungrier than I did that night.

Disco was good but the casino was some well worn roulette table which didn't attract much attention.

If you're thinking of booking here for a Xmas do for work, don't bother. Go to 1812 or Aruba instead for the same price and other end of the spectrum in terms of service and quality.

If I could give this place no stars I would.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank CSz
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2015
Dear Csz

It is with regret I read this review.

We put a lot of effort into our parties and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us.

Yours sincerely

Daniel

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had our office Christmas party here last weekend, and it was terrible. The food took an age to arrive and we had to send it straight back as they'd bought our main before our starter. The food was dry, tasteless and overcooked. The menu stated "roast potatoes" but we got boiled potatoes from a tin, along with soggy sprouts and canned carrots. Awful. I think we were given a bottle of wine to apologise, but it was small comfort given the food was just about inedible.

The "casino" theme was ridiculous. A couple of posters of Daniel Craig and an ice sculpture. I remember seeing a roulette table pushed toward the side of the room, but by the time we'd actually had our food it was nigh on time to leave. The whole party was also slightly too drunk by then as the majority of us didn't touch the food because it was so bad.

The hotel in general needs renovating as it looks frayed around the edges, and for the price it was absolutely terrible - you could go to the excellent 1812 for the same amount. If you're thinking of here for your Christmas do - don't!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ClareR1977
Dear ClaireR1977

It is with regret I read this review.

Yours sincerely

Daniel
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Works party. Started great with red carpet up to the entrance and then. ... oh dear. The function room was freezing. Door was permanently open for smokers so no let up.
I had to queue for half hour for drink each time and the prices increased as the evening went on.
The food took so long to get to table that by the time i got mine it had shrunk on the plate! ! It was not of great quality. The hotel cannot cater for large parties.
The disco didn't start until everyone had finished their "food" so so at 10.30 nobody was on the dance floor. This was not the DJ's fault as he was ok.
Any party organisers out there think twice if you have a large amount of colleagues!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank yanton10
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I apologise that your group had lots of smokers, however, if they choose to smoke then that’s not really down to us to sort out. We can cater for mass volumes, and that is what we do so well, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a hotel which enjoys popular support at reasonable prices but attention to important details is sadly lacking. Having requested a twin room for our stay we were initially allocated an unsuitable family room. However, although reassigned a twin room we found it in a condition which ill-befitted a 21st century hotel. The beds were equipped with cheap, lumpy mattresses and the furniture was distinctly tired - old fashioned and carrying the scars of years of guests. The carpeting was worn and, on looking behind the beds, for example, there was evidence of a lack of appropriate cleaning. It was necessary, we were advised, to run water for some 5 minutes to receive hot water in the shower room - a disgracefully poorly presented facility. Registering our observations at reception we were advised that only through comments such as we were making could they make improvements. We think not; house management should be sufficiently diligent to pick up these issues.
While staff were generally friendly but unclean, sweat-stained shirts reflect a lack of understanding of the importance of presentation.
Refurbishment in a public area was continuing during our stay and the one ancient lift was out of commission.
On the plus side, the indoor pool was a very good facility and the heating throughout the hotel was efficient. Breakfasts, it should be said, were of a very reasonable quality - haddock excellent.
We are unlikely to choose The Queens for a future Bournemouth stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side do enjoy sunshine!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PAUL W
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry to hear that you will not be returning, but if you do, please contact our General Manager on 01202 554415 to discuss your stay.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 22nd November to 27th November 2013. It was a very enjoyable stay, the friendly staff were very accomadating and a credit to the owner, manager. during the stay 3 coaches arrived with the holly and miseltoe themed party. the staff were very busy organising the guests, but were not too busy to ignore requests from the other guests staying there. there was also a conference in session. So credit to the hardworking staff. it looked as though refurbishment was taking place. new signs and decorating. the food was good but variation in the breakfast sides would be nice. also a teapot and coffee pot with meals . the spa was lovely and relaxing again with excellent staff, I forgot an appt one day and the lady managed to call someone to attend to my treatments so I would not miss out. Overall a nice place to stay. thankyou.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. And thank you for your kind comments about our staff, our food and the hotel itself. We are currently undergoing lots of refurbishment including the bar, many rooms and conference suites. Plus new signage outside and new signs all over the hotel. Looking forward to you returning, and when you do please contact our General Manager, Daniel Marsh on 01202 554415. If he can he will probably throw in a free upgrade for you too.
Thank you once again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I've stayed at the Queens Hotel 4 times now, 2 single rooms and 2 double. For what I paid, it had everything I was expecting, including a clean room, comfortable bed and friendly staff.

Some of the rooms are in need of an upgrade, and it seems a little hit and miss with which room you get. I received a room with just a bath (no shower) and asked to be moved to one with a shower. While I had to spend 1 night in the room, the staff were happy to move me the next day, as was I happy to now have a shower.

The location is great; near the sea and a short walk to the town. The hotel wifi is very fast (15-20mbp/s) however I've had problems connecting to the wifi boxes on all of my visits. The connection seems to drop a lot, and no IP address can be acquired sometimes, which I'm guessing is due to too many people connecting to the boxes at one go.

I have not used the pool or sauna, however the hotel bar was nice, and I found it great to be able to charge drinks to your room. The bar was actually being taken apart on my last visit. I'm guessing they're doing some decorating/updating?

My recommendations to the hotel: Replace the daily shampoo/shower gel with bottles on the wall. Also, it seems a lot cheaper to book with booking.com/expedia.com than via your website. Might be worth looking into this?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review, and thank you for returning to the Queens many times. Yes we have now fully refurbished the bar area. We are also carrying out refurbishment on many rooms too, so next time please request a newly refurbished room before arrival.
Thank you once again.