“Posh Name”

Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Gloucestershire
“Posh Name”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Posh name but that is as far as it goes, there were many issues to deal with on my 2 day stay, one receptionist was very very helpful to sort things out, which had only occurred because of the bad management.
Apart from a cold buffet breakfast the food was not too bad, and if you are on a deal break you will be on a table with no tablecloth and separated from other guests it felt really odd.
Will not being staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bluekupkake
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am a little unclear to what the issue were with your stay so could you please contact our General Manager, Daniel Marsh to discuss. He will then be able to look into this for you.
James Gordon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Went to the works Christmas do last weekend. Was very disappointed with the food. The starter which was chicken salad with bacon consisted of two small pieces of chicken which completely hid the salad, or should I say some small leaves of something and half a cherry tomato. The "Roast" potatoes were burnt although the bream was cooked nicely. Not sure that carrots and brussel sprouts went well with the fish though. The roulade had two tiny blueberries and was probably bigger than the starter and main course put together. Coffee and mints was on the menu, although the mints never arrived and we had to ask for sugar. Drinks were quite expensive. don't think it was worth the cost.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank trishmusic
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. It sounds like the food was not to your satisfaction and apologise about this. I will look into this and find out what happened. If you would like to return please contact our General Manager on 01202 554415 to discuss how he can restore faith in the Queens.
James Gordon

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went for a spa day with my partner here on Wednesday 4th December. Have stayed at hotel previously but did not us spa facilities and glad I didn't. There was maintenance work going on downstairs in the spa, the changing rooms were absolute filth with dirt and toilet paper everywhere, showers had hair all in them. Entered the pool area which had an awful smell of wet dog, however got in the jacuzzi and it had sand all in the bottom probably not cleaned since summer. Sauna and steam room were ok. One chair which only had one leg, and another two seater sofa chair which was broken and only had one cushion. Left spa after 45 minutes to go into the gym, half the equipment didn't work, weight benches all worn and chewed up.
Went for our afternoon tea, we were meant to be having a festive afternoon tea with mince pies, cookies, cakes and scones. And we got rock hard scones, no cookies, and a selection of ok cakes. Tea pots was filthy, we didn't eat anything and left.
Have never complained anywhere in my life as am only young (19) and work in the hotel industry, however I wanted my money back. Spoke to a duty manager who was unaware of any of the damage in the spa area and sand in the bottom of the jacuzzi.
Got out money back and won't be returning.
Only good point was the receptionists are friendly and seem to know what there actually doing.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Sara8282
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your time here but if you do choose to return, please contact our General Manager on 01202 554415.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I recently booked a room for myself, and my fiance. I thought it would be a nice romatic trip for both of us.
The website for the hotel, I must admit, looks very good. Hence that is why I booked this hotel.
But, as soon as we turned up, we had nothing but issue after issue.
We turned up and there was a huge party night going on. I like everyone likes a party, but feel that if the hotel are planning parties etc, that are going to be very loud, they should inform you of this when booking. Our room literally, was right above the dance floor/hall. The noise was terrible, and could actually feel the vibration from the speakers below.
We asked to move, buit the hotel said it was full. I believed them as there were many people in the party. But then in the bedroom, the headboard sliped down, whilst asleep. It seems there was an issue the hotel knew about, because there were about 6 holes in the wall, trying to hold it up. Next issue, was in the morning. The breakfast was ok, like a normal b and b breakfast, but I took a bit of an egg, and there was a big piece of shell in it still. Next issue, was when we went to get a drink from the bar, lunch time. They said the barrel had run out, and would get a drink as soon as possible. But they forgot. So not only had we paid for a drink, but they forgot to get it, so we had to chase them.
Last issue, was the Saturday night. Another very loud party going on. Again, I like parties, but I would not have booked the hotel, had they advertised the party when actually booking.Overall, the whole trip was a disgrace. I will never stay at the hotel again, and am trying to get my money back.

Room Tip: dont book this hotel, if you do, ask for one which is NOT above the dance floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brad m
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay due to the Christmas parties going on, and our staff should have ensured that you had a room away from the noise. Apologies once again.
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the positives of my stay during the Bournemouth Air Festival. The reception staff were fantastic. Very chatty and happy, and extremely helpful during an exceptionally busy time in the hotel. A real credit to them.
My room was also nice. Large, well appointed and very comfortable after working long days on my feet.
Needing to stay an additional night (Sunday 1st September) I secured a different room at a very reasonable rate; another tick for the reception and reservation staff. I checked out of my original room on Sunday morning, and, as my new room wasn't ready yet, I checked my bag in to reception, saying I'd collect it when I returned from work that evening.
Returning to the hotel after a very hot, very long day, I asked the receptionist for my key and bag only to be told "Don't worry, your friend took your bag."
As my bag contained all of my clean clothes, toiletries, spare cash and house keys I was more than a little panicked and annoyed.
To cut a long story very short, my bag had been given away to one of the RAF display teams staying at the hotel and was now on its way to an airbase in North Yorkshire. I only discovered this by having a chance conversation with a member of the display team who had remained back at the hotel, as the hotel's CCTV was useless and showed nothing.
Relieved to have found my bag we made arrangements for its return and I went to see if I could get some toiletries from reception. Deodorant yes, toothbrush and toothpaste, sadly, no, as the receptionist didn't have a key to the toothbrush drawer. He apologised and asked if I'd mind collecting one in the morning.
The morning arrived and, putting on the same clothes I'd worn for the best part of 20 hours the day before, I headed off to reception for said toothbrush.
Unfortunately, the "gentleman" behind the desk told me he'd just sold the last one but I could go to the nearby garage and buy one. This really cheesed me off. Relaying the previous day's sorry episode, I asked if he would send a member of staff to the garage to procure me a toothbrush, seeing as how it was their fault I was in this situation.
In a tone of voice reminiscent of a moody teenager the "gentleman" said "I'm not sending anyone anywhere. I just told you where you can buy one" and off he walked.
What made this even worse was that I since discovered that this "gentleman" was Daniel Marsh, the general manager!
On receipt of my bag almost two weeks after being given away by the hotel staff I wrote a letter (not an email, an actual letter) to Mr Marsh asking for his response to the whole shoddy affair, particularly his disgraceful approach to customer service. I asked him, by way of atonement, to consider making a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund, seeing as how the RAF had to pay for his staff's mistake. How did Mr Marsh respond? By ignoring my letter, that's how. Not a dickie bird, so I wrote to James Gordon, seeing as how he regularly comments on TripAdvisor, for his response. Two months later I'm still waiting for any acknowledgement of my two letters.
If you read this Mr Gordon, I have given up hope of the RAF receiving anything for their troubles, or me for mine. Just know that you and Mr Marsh are the worst possible advertisement for your hotel. The pair of you are an absolute disgrace.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank Steve C
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am so sorry but I have not received a letter from you, maybe it has been lost in the post as I was not aware of the situation and the issues you had with your bag and toothbrush.
Please send me the letter again and I will respond as I do with all letters addressed to me personally.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Not one to write a scathing review but this has to be done. Food and service absolutely terrible. Entrance to the venue was good when we arrived for our James Bond themed works Xmas do. However, that is the only positive thing I could say about that. The arrivals drink of "champagne" was dire orange juice with maybe a drop of some fizz!

We then sat to wait for our food which took forever to arrive only for several waiting staff to be sent away numerous times with our main course. The reason for sending them away was we didn't even receive our starters yet. When our starters came, I had a "salmon" mousse which was on the verge of melting into a liquid. It tasted absolutely disgusting. Must have been sat out in a warm kitchen for hours. The wholemeal toast that came with it were 2 x 2p sized bits of hard toast. At least I had my bread roll before my starter. That was the best bit of food there!

When our mains eventually arrived once we had finished out starter, my turkey dinner was also in edible. The "roast potatoes" that were advertised were actually boiled potatoes! Yuk! The manager was called over who apologised and made some feeble excuse about the restaurant being busy. Don't stack your venue to the rafters if you can't cope with the numbers. The dessert was a chocolate banoffee cheesecake which was basically a chocolate shell with some weird creamy jelly inside. Suffice to say, I didn't eat anything that evening save for a bread roll.

As compensation, we did get a free bottle of wine (whoopie) for the dreadful service, food delays and mix up. Not a bad days takings for the hotel when they are charging £28 per head.

Forgot to add, the waitress knock my friends bread roll on the floor and couldn't be bothered to replace it. No surprise she went hungrier than I did that night.

Disco was good but the casino was some well worn roulette table which didn't attract much attention.

If you're thinking of booking here for a Xmas do for work, don't bother. Go to 1812 or Aruba instead for the same price and other end of the spectrum in terms of service and quality.

If I could give this place no stars I would.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank CSz
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2015
Dear Csz

It is with regret I read this review.

We put a lot of effort into our parties and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us.

Yours sincerely

Daniel
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had our office Christmas party here last weekend, and it was terrible. The food took an age to arrive and we had to send it straight back as they'd bought our main before our starter. The food was dry, tasteless and overcooked. The menu stated "roast potatoes" but we got boiled potatoes from a tin, along with soggy sprouts and canned carrots. Awful. I think we were given a bottle of wine to apologise, but it was small comfort given the food was just about inedible.

The "casino" theme was ridiculous. A couple of posters of Daniel Craig and an ice sculpture. I remember seeing a roulette table pushed toward the side of the room, but by the time we'd actually had our food it was nigh on time to leave. The whole party was also slightly too drunk by then as the majority of us didn't touch the food because it was so bad.

The hotel in general needs renovating as it looks frayed around the edges, and for the price it was absolutely terrible - you could go to the excellent 1812 for the same amount. If you're thinking of here for your Christmas do - don't!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ClareR1977
Dear ClaireR1977

It is with regret I read this review.

Yours sincerely