“company do”

Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
New Milton, United Kingdom
“company do”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

this hotel is very dated and room was a shambles, wall paper on ceiling all falling down, wall paper peeling, toilet roll holder falling off, radiator turned off at both ends, broken skirting, very noisy room creaking floor boards from every direction, carpet worn and TV poor reception, heard several people with he same comments. seen better hostels than this hotel,
would not revisit ever. breakfast ok. evening food for xmass party very poor. drinks good value. if this room was not part of the company do i would have asked for a total refund.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 311.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Lee J
JamesGordon, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your review Lee, we value all feedback received and take each review very seriously.

The hotel is currently undergoing a lot of refurbishment which I’m sure you will agree will improve the stay for our clients. As you can imagine though, this does take time and can’t all be done at once. We are sorry however, that your stay wasn’t what you expected.

If you do stay again, please speak with our General Manager, Daniel Marsh, who will ensure you stay in one of our refurbished rooms.

Best wishes

Samantha Otton
Guest Relationship Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here in November, I booked the room in advance for a Saturday reason being visiting a friend for a messy night out. I payed £50. I decided to take a trip down early so called in on the Friday and they offered a room for £30 which I snapped up.

Any way, obviously I was expecting a cheap no frills room for that sort of money, how ever I was not expecting an unsecured room, when I say unsecured. there was a fire exit and escape route through the room... a break glass to open cover over a knob to open to door... the plastic was broken meaning anybody can poke a finger in twist the plastic and gain entry!

I felt insecure leaving my personal items in the room whilst out as well as sleeping at night, I asked for another room on the Saturday morning to which the lady on the counter replied unhelpfully they're fully booked! Had I known they were putting me in an un secure room I would have chosen another hotel even if the cost was more.

other than this I didn't try the breakfast though I had payed

Parking was quite full the first night i just parked in bays marked for Hotel director (Why not the
customers comes first)

Bar staff were OK, it wasn't busy whilst we were there though they did disappear and we were waiting for 5 minutes for a drink "Should have helped ourselves"

The walls are pretty thin, I had the discomfort of hearing what could only have been a whale bashing its head against a tank for the best part of early morning

If I visit Bournemouth again I'll pay a little more for a better service and accommodation the likes of Premier Inn would have been more suited...

Room Tip: Check they are not putting you in a fire escape room!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank E1Gr3c0
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. The room you had is secure and this should have been explained to you on arrival. It is only used as a last let room when we are fully booked, that's probably why they dropped the price.
If you choose to return please call our General Manager on 01202 554415 to discuss a future stay.
Many Thanks
James Gordon

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

The Christmas party I attended was a James Bond night and it was a great evening. The food was great I had soup for a starter which tasted very fresh. I ordered the turkey for main and it was a great meal including stuffing, potatoes and a variety of vegetables.
The staff were very nice always made sure we were okay especially the restaurant manager (Svetlana) and the young restaurant supervisor. The way they organised and served such a large amount of people I applaud them for their costumer service. The duty managers were also seen in the room in with I was amazed at as in most places you would not see them serving costumer I'd like to particularly mention the young duty manager Sintija she was so helpful, kind and very hard
Working and the same goes for Daniel Marsh the general manager he was great very friendly.
The over all experience was very good and will definitely go back again as I most definitely enjoyed my night.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. It is lovely to hear that you had such a great time and the food, service and co-ordination was good.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Thank you once again.
Legnica, Poland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Returned to the queens hotel last weekend with my wife and sister. Hotel was very busy and arrived at B/fast late but staff still found time to cook my wife and sister a b/fast without any issue .Hotel was clean and comfortable , staff freindly and helpful, location great for the town and cliffs .Great value Hotel , always 1st choice hotel if coming to Bournemouth.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently refurbished room if possible
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review. I am glad to hear that you recommend us and that your stay was perfect.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Where, oh where does one start?
Well, inadequate parking for a start, and finally checked in after the two girls on the front desk tried to cope with the 27 guests queuing that I counted.
Ah well, let’s get dressed and treat ourselves to some champers, as it’s Christmas after all; or so we thought. The main bar was manic, so the duty manageress asked us to go into the one near the dinner setting. The barman wasn’t ready and there followed a tense exchange of words between them, after she tried to grab his attention to us as champagne-buying customers. Her eyes were clearly ringing pound signs, his were looking to the heavens.
The listed Laurent Perrier Rose was “not available – in fact, it shouldn’t be on there anymore”, so I guess that was a dropped line, so we had to accept the ‘house’ label at £39 a bottle. I knew this was not going to be good.
So, a semi-chilled bottle was unceremoniously plonked on the bar – why take it out on us? – so I had to ask for an ice bucket. We got a wine cooler with ice in the bottom, so absolutely no way was that going to chill it properly. I had to ask the barman if he wouldn’t mind opening it too, which he finally did.
Of course, glasses also had to be asked for – and two flutes (of differing sizes) were offered. Both barman and I looked at between each other, the bottle and the glasses like a scene from a spaghetti western until I gave up and told him that I presumed I would have to pour it too, or else my wife and I might be waiting until Christmas 2014 to get any sort of drink.
And yes, you could put distilled vinegar through a Sodastream and get a better result than this stuff – Champagne, my backside!
The so-called James Bond themed Christmas Party was laughable. The decorations must have used all of the, what, 20 quid decorations budget? The only significant detail being an ice sculpture of the 007 logo for people to pour their vodka shots through. How classy! A poster of Daniel Craig and a few fold-out silhouette-style Bond-women does not a Bond Evening make.
So, on to the dinner...
Well, my soup was clearly yesterday’s leftover veg blended and peppered to within an inch of its life, as it certainly wasn’t butternut. Oh, and the lack of soup spoons meant having to use my dessert spoon, which wasn’t replaced.... as was the lack of butter knives which meant that the main course knife was unceremoniously dumped back on the table to be reused again. My wife’s salmon pate ‘thing’ was served with two small crackers about the size of Ritz, so it had to be spooned on about an inch think, and the side salad of rocket was as limp as tissue paper.
Main course – allegedly a traditional Christmas dinner – was one slice of tepid turkey on a bed of almost liquid stuffing.... just how can you make stuffing so badly as to be a pool on the plate? How?! How is that achievable?!!!!!
Vegetable side dishes were hit and miss. Sprouts were well overcooked, and the ‘roast’ potatoes were nearly blackened in most cases, but soggy skinned where they were cooked in trays of oil, and not roasted properly. Carrots were okay...when we finally got them. We had three tables and all of us seemed to get different timings.
No accompaniments – my request for “any cranberry sauce” was met with derision.
The pre-ordered table wine didn’t arrive until after we were finishing the main courses, and that was only after we had to complain. It was not worth waiting for. The White, Red and Rose were dreadful, even for house wine. I photographed the labels on my phone and looked them up the next day. They are just about the cheapest wholesale wine you can buy from the main wholesalers in the Bournemouth area.
Dessert? A slice of sort of sugar-meringue roulade, that was clearly from the Makro frozen food department.
In all, Makro, or a similar cash and carry, clearly did some good business that day on the food, as it most certainly was not freshly prepared, and for the cost involved, it was a total rip off.
Coffee was poured unceremoniously into the dirty cup –I asked for another – then got so much milk poured into it, it was cooled down too much. My request to have a decent cup of coffee poured was met with incredulous looks from the, mostly European, staff. Need I say more.
Own-branded equivalents of Eliz Shaw mint crisps were saucered onto the table as if to attempt to conjure up some golden flourish to the meal.
So what “casino night” delights did we have to enjoy after? The advertised “casino night” was hopefully going to redeem the event.
Alas, no.
Two, yes two(!), casino tables set up, each having no more than eight player slots available. A roulette table and a Blackjack table, with the roulette table backing onto the bar, so one side was effectively out of play. And these TWO tables supposed to serve what must have been nearly 200 people.
And that finished at 11, so by the time that ‘dinner’ had been thrown into our lives, we had about an hour of ‘fun’. Fun? Oh yes, what larks Pip!
Onto some post-dinner drinks then... more of the only champagne in the house, or some shots? Well, a nice glass of cognac perhaps? Nope... cheaper brandy lines only (seriously?) at 4 quid a shot ? served in a dessert wine glass? Ah well, the joke has gone past the point of caring now.
The less said about the room, the better.
Breakfast the next day? Surely you cannot get breakfast wrong in a hotel in one of Britain’s top seaside resorts? Oh yes you can!
Reconstituted powdered orange juice (seriously?) – why don’t you just serve orange squash next time and at least give the guests some semblance of orange flavour.
No brown bread available for toast, catering pack defrosted croissants – I know because I see them in Makro’s freezers – and cheap catering baked beans. Dreadful and, frankly, embarrassing.
All in all, a complete joke and someone at the Queen’s Hotel had a very good laugh on Sunday morning knowing that he/she has charged a shedload for rooms and dinners that were a complete travesty to the hospitality industry.
No, I will never again set foot in the Queen’s Hotel, and will certainly never take any corporate business there, or advise any friends or colleagues to use this venue.
BTW, the only reason you are getting one star, is because TripAdvisor won’t let me enter zero.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank CompanyMD
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your James Bond evening. I will have a look into this as we do not like to hear that anyone is disappointed.
Many Thanks
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have just left the Queens Hotel after a two night stay to visit friends at Bournemouth University. The hotel is really friendly, a nice receptionist Auriele checked us in and was very helpful as we didn't know where we were meeting our friends for drinks. The hotel is in an excellent location - close to the cliff top and just a short walk to the beach and town. Our room was comfortable and nice and quiet so we got a good nights sleep. We made use of the leisure facilities, had a swim and even treated ourselves to a little pampering in the spa. The bar was really nice and duty manager John (very knowledgable about the local area) said that it had just been renovated. I would recommend the hotel to other friends and family, a good place to stay. Will be booking again when my friends graduate next year in November - or sooner if a good deal comes up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your outstanding review. We do feel that we have some great staff here at the Queens. I will ensure that I congratulate both Aurelie and John on their performance.
Thank you once again and look forward to your return.
Bursledon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The company I work for booked our Christmas party at The Queens Hotel. It was a 'James Bond' themed evening. The food was beautiful and considering the number of people being catered for all was hot. The staff were extremely helpful through out the evening. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lorraine S
Thank you for your glowing review. We really do appreciate your positive comments and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Thank you once again.