“Quite possible that I just got lucky...”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have to start by saying that my personal experience of this hotel was good. The breakfast was great, the hotel was well decorated, bar area is stylish with jazz fusion background music, and my room was well set out, clean and comfortable. The hotel could do with some minor work to the exterior, but the location is perfect, just a few steps from the beach and local amenities. There are only a few niggles that I have to mention, such as twice the bedding had a few dirt patches, the wifi signal in my room was shocking all week, and the lift doesn't feel the safest when more than two people enter. Overall though the weeks stay was good and I would definitely stay here again when I am next in Bournemouth.

However, I was here on business with a couple of colleagues who's experience was not as good as mine. It appears that some of the rooms, including my own, have had a major facelift, leaving the rest very outdated, and in some cases, should not be available. One of these rooms had a broken electric heated radiator that was very dangerous, the other had a strong smell of mould and the windows were so full of condensation that it was impossible to see out of. These rooms were small, very dirty, in desperate need of a revamp, and as stated in one case, quite dangerous.

To summarise, all I can really say is that this hotel is good value for money, in a great location and everything I look for when travelling on business. I would advise that you go for a room on either the first or second floor however as you may feel you have pulled the short straw!

Room Tip: Go for the first or second floor room - Mine was 311
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your positive review! You are correct we are refurbishing the hotel and we are doing all of the rooms one by one. Please tell your colleagues that should they stay again, we would be only too happy to put them in one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My fiancé and I have just stayed at this hotel for a two day break, while visiting my daughter and son-in-law. What a deal with had, we bought a kgb voucher and for the price, we had a fantastic stay. The room was warm and comfortable and clean, the staff throughout our whole time, were at all times friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon tea with cakes galore and to finish off a lovely treatment each in the beauty spa, my facial was gorgeous and my fiancés massage was lovely he said. Again, staff were so friendly. It is very rare, to go to a hotel break and not find 'something' that went wrong or we didn't feel quite happy with, but on this occasion, everything was perfect. The breakfast, also included in the price, on both days was really nice. I will definitely recommend this particular deal if it comes up again, as what we got for our money was just fantastic! We will be down again in the summer and we will most definitely be looking to coming back to this hotel, right by the beach :) thank you all for our lovely stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review. We really appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and do hope to see you again!

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very dated and in need of a refit of the whole place there is not one area that is not shabby and tired although apparently they have had a refit !?

The bedrooms were horrible and cold poor facilities and not welcoming
The staff were as helpful as they could be considering what they had to work with

The

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank The_romantic

Yes you are correct! We are currently in the process of refurbishing the hotel. We would be only too happy to accommodate you in one of our newly refurbished rooms next time you stay in Bournemouth. Please speak to Daniel Marsh, our General Manager, who will be only too happy to help.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booked this deal through groupon for spa day and afternoon tea. Got there and wish we had stopped at the entrance to the changing rooms! The female changing rooms were filthy, smelt of stale urine, only two dirty showers and even dirtier two cubicles. There weren't any lockers left so I had to get my partner to put my handbag in his locker and we carried the rest of our stuff through to the poolside. When we asked where the flip flops and robes where that are usually supplied at spa hotels we were told we could only get them if we had paid for extra treatments with the salon. So off we went through to the poolside with our bags to look for a nice lounger to relax on only to be met with hard wire seats and not a lounger in site. We got into the pool which was warm enough and then into the steam room with no steam. We were the only ones in the steam room at the time thankfully as it is so small we would have been hitting knees with any other guests. We came out of the steam room and off to the sauna which was off and needed to be left switched on for 15mins so we went to the jacuzzi to be greeted with who knows what at the bottom! It felt like the bottom had a layer of sand, vile! That was enough so we hit the showers. Again, filthy and another guest let out a shriek as the shower head fell off on her! It got to the point where you just had to laugh. We then headed up for afternoon tea which, shockingly, was v nice and great service from the waiter. It's just a pity that the spa facilities were so grubby!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carmickey
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

We are quite proud to be one of the largest spas in the area. We have exceptionally loyal clients who come to us regularly to enjoy our large selection of treatments by our highly qualified therapists.
We do have gorgeous dressing gowns and flip flops available for our guests also. Unfortunately on busy days, yes the lockers may all be in use.
The journey to the spa is often commented as being the 'beginning of the relaxation' with the therapeutic aromas that we have throughout the corridor and the warm ambience.
You will be able to see a list of treatments available on our website and our Facebook page (The Forever Gorgeous Spa) shows images of our two beautiful lounges, including the newly built 'Hideaway' lounge. Maybe next time you might like to visit for a treatment which we are sure you would find very relaxing, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in our Luxury Lounge.
We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and myself took ourselves off to lunch with Groupon Offer. for 3 course Sunday Lunch
I had phoned earlier to find out if we could park at hotel for lunch only as we werent guests and as weather looked appalling didnt want to chase about looking for parking places.
A really nice receptionist who answered my call said it was quite alright to park and if car park was full to come into reception whereby they would issue parking for across the road
We entered the restaurant to find tables really nicely laid with white tablecloths and a pianist playing piano beautifully (how nice is that)
The starters were perfect my homemade Crabcakes were served on a hot plate Hubby had Duck Pate with Onion marmalade.
We both chose Roast Beef it was delicious and huge homemade Yorkshire Puds . My husband asked for extra gravy as he always does and this was served immediately alongside Horseradish Sauce. No waiting here and as I glanced around the service was amazing!! Staff kept watchful eye on tables something sadly thats lacking in a lot of hotels therse days.
Hot spong ePudding with Custard. Or choice from set table Creme Brule'e Pannocotta or Lemon Posset or Fresh Fruit Salad.
Coffe with mints arrived after puddings no sitting around waiting.
What a delight not to grumble 10/10 Well done staff!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shipwrecked56
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! We do hope we see you again at the Queens Hotel.

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

The Queens is about a 10 minute walk from the station and easy enough to find once you've looked at a map!
I paid £22 for a single for 1 night (room only) so didnt expect much, but was very pleased with what I got.
Friendly reception staff, and a quick check in. I was in room 108 on the first floor (there's a lift to all floors).
Room wasnt large but big enough, with a very comfortable bed (so comfortable I over slept!), plenty of wardrobe space, desk and chair. Tea and coffee are provided. And the balcony provided a nice added bonus.
The ensuite was clean and had a good bath/shower combo- always think it's good to have both! There were basic toiletries too.
Nice garden at the side too.
Overall I was very satisfied and would definitely recommend the Queens! Much less than the Travelodge, but so much better!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AlexJ262

Thank you Alex for your excellent review! We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed here for a bootcamp , alot of the people i was staying with had problems with there rooms ,( i know the weather was bad was exceptionally high wind and lots of rain) however, the rooms were leaking , the windows either didn't open or didn't close in some of the rooms our group was staying in. the hotel all in all needs a bit of love , everything seemed to be very dated and falling apart.

The service was ok from the hotel. My friend didnt feel very well and seemed to be lack of communication between reception and the group leader as to who had actually checked on her for several hours.
The pool area was ok , the sauna rooms are small , the spa area is lovely.
The food was the only thing that really stood out for me , considering we were all on a boot-camp they constantly delivered fantastic hearty food. The Lady Restaurant Manager was always very welcoming and accommodating. Would go again for the food

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Torrie_pop

Thank you for your review – we are aware there were some leaks in the bedrooms; this huge amount of rain we are experiencing has caused a leak or two which we are rectifying. We hope you visit us again in the future.