“DO NOT VISIT THE SPA”

Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“DO NOT VISIT THE SPA”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My friend and I booked a spa day through Highlife deals with two treatments.

We booked on a Thursday when they are open until 8. We arrived at 3.30 after finishing work.

The lobby of the hotel had the distinct odour of toilets and is incredibly dated. We asked about the spa at reception and were told where to go after being given the pin for the security doors! The 'Spa' is NOT a spa. I have enjoyed quite a few spa days at various locations in Bournemouth and elsewhere but this was something else entirely.

On arrival there were people's bags littered through 'reception' and shoved under the desk and the place was generally a mess. We were asked to sit in their 'relaxation lounge' and fill in a form which we did. We asked is there were refreshments and the staff member told us to help ourselves to tea and coffee. There were a few cups on the side with a jug of milk. The milk had clearly been there for sometime as it was room temperature and smelled grim, there was also a fly floating in it which was a sign of things to come....

We were given robes and slippers along with a towel and shown through the dingy corridors to the 'changing rooms'. The corridor was so narrow the poor girl having her nails done had to get up from her chair to let us pass - she had to do this everytime anyone passed through the corridor! It got worse. The changing rooms are dire. Basically there was a bit of partitioning with some curtains to change in and the place was FILTHY!! There were plastic wrappers from the slippers all left on the floor, the towel bin was overflowing and the lockers were so old and broken they didn't work. We were told we could leave our bags at reception, which was left unattended most of the time. This did explain why there were bags everywhere when we arrived though. We were pretty horrified but thought we would give the pool area a chance and duly got changed to go and have a look... the slippers are like hospital slippers and my robe had a giant hole in it. They were pretty poor quality anyway but the staff blamed the tumble dryer. The showers were dirty and there was only two of them. The website describes this place is a luxury spa. This it is NOT.

The pool area was something else. It smelled so strongly of chlorine and the water was cloudy. We didn't venture in because the pool area in general was so filthy. The seating area comprised a couple of cheap plastic chairs...The whole place is out of the 70s. The wallpaper was hanging off the walls and the suspended ceiling tiles were mouldy and discoloured. Overall feeling was dank. The floor in the changing area was dirty and wet with soap scum and so was really slippery. The staff member who showed us to the 'spa' didn't seem shocked or fazed by any of this so I must assume it's the norm.

We decided to get dressed and go to the bar upstairs for a cup of tea as the 'spa' facilities were non-existent and return for our treatments which were booked later. The bar upstairs was in the same vein. The tables were all dirty strewn with dirty cups and glasses. No staff to be seen. We left the premises to have coffee elsewhere.

We decided to risk it and return for the treatments. I have to say that the treatment room was much cleaner and more modern than the rest of the 'spa' generally and the girls who did the treatments were very sweet. We had a massage and facial but they were very basic treatments. The products were ok but were in no way luxurious and my facial left my face feeling tight at the end.

Overall this place is grim and is certainly NOT a spa. If they just stuck to the treatments here it might have been acceptable, not nice but acceptable, but do NOT go here expecting a spa day. You will be extremely disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura S
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we do have security for entrance to the spa and we are quite proud to be one of the largest spas in the area. We have exceptionally loyal clients who come to us regularly to enjoy our large selection of treatments by our highly qualified therapists.
We can only apologize for the milk, the girls must have been back-to-back in treatments, as thursday is one of our busiest days, but I can assure you that the milk is changed regularly.
We are in the process of replacing our dressing gowns and slippers as yes, they can get damaged in the tumble dryer.
The spa facilities are some of the best in the area and we are very proud of our relaxation lounge and our new 'Hideaway' lounge and double treatment room.
If you visit our website at www.forevergorgeous.co.uk you will be able to see a list of treatments available and our Facebook page (The Forever Gorgeous Spa) shows images of our two beautiful lounges.
I would like to reassure any future clients thinking of visiting the spa that our spa is a very well respected and well loved spa in Bournemouth and to please not let this review deter you from coming to us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Battle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just stayed at the queens hotel in Bournemouth for the 3rd time and it was excellent yet again. The staff, the food, the spa. It is obviously a very popular hotel because each time we have been there it has been full, even the General Manager took time out to come and say thanks for staying again. My wife had a couple of sessions in the spa and said it was wonderful, probably the best she has ever had (and she has had a lot) I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

W Lucas
Battle

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your excellent review! We are so glad you continue to have such lovely experiences when you stay at The Queens Hotel. We do hope to see you again in the future.
Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Typical pictures had been taken to make pool look big ! Tiny I have a leisure centre near me that was bigger ! Me and mates went for afternoon tea ! Tea was amazing but u go down stairs and it's like something from a horror movie . Changing rooms are tiny only 2 curtained of sections ? No toilets in changing room and couldn't fit more than 6 women in there. Sauna is for 3 people tops and the steam room fits 2 in and everyone's legs touch where it is so narrow !! I never write reviews but this was the worst hotel I've been too for a spa day?! Didnt feel relaxed atall especially cos there's a camera over pool that everyone can see u from in reception on a big screen ?

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Xoxojo
Thank you for your feedback. So glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea. We are in the middle of a refurbishment throughout the hotel. Sorry you didn't feel your spa experience was what it should have been. Perhaps you should return and use our Forever Gorgeous Day Spa for a lovely relaxing treatment next time and see the true extent to our spa. We do take security seriously and the cameras above the pool area are for your own safety as there is not a lifeguard on duty.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We booked a spa day with afternoon tea for four for a friends birthday, which was an offer on Groupon.
You would think when getting a deal on groupon that it is worth a lot more than you pay
Well, I would be shocked if anyone paid as much as we did to go there knowing what it is like!

We arrived and were informed at reception that there would be no available lockers in the changing rooms so had to leave our valuables with them.
we were not given any towels, slippers or gowns like you would normally expect on what was sold to us as a 'spa day'..

When we found our way down the dingy stairs to the so called spa we found a cupboard like changing room with everyones stuff just dumped on the floor and lockers that were all broken.
Im not exaggerating when I say there was only enough room for about 5 people to get changed with a squash.

The pool was tiny with low ceiling making it seems very dingy. the Jacuzzi could fit about 4 people, and we never got a change to go in it. (people were actually stalking it waiting for someone to get out)
The steam room tiny with only 4 seats (one of which if you sat down you got your legs burnt as the steam came out from behind it)
The sauna was also like a cupboard.

We had our afternoon tea booked for 3:30 and the reception lady did look rather shocked when we arrived at 12:30 expecting to use the pool etc in the 'spa' .
We ended up spending about half an hour in the pool before we froze so asked to have our tea moved to 2oclock which they did do..

The bar staff were having some sort of argument over who bothered to serve people and were not very friendly.

Overall we were very disappointed with our visit, although we cannot comment on rooms and the restaurant as we did not stay the night.

Good location right on the front though.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 117natalie
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
We are quite proud to be one of the largest spas in the area. We have exceptionally loyal clients who come to us regularly to enjoy our large selection of treatments by our highly qualified therapists.
We do have gorgeous dressing gowns and flip flops available for our guests also. Unfortunately on busy days, yes the lockers may all be in use.
The journey to the spa is often commented as being the 'beginning of the relaxation' with the therapeutic aromas that we have throughout the corridor and the warm ambience.
You will be able to see a list of treatments available on our website and our Facebook page (The Forever Gorgeous Spa) shows images of our two beautiful lounges, including the newly built 'Hideaway' lounge. Maybe next time you might like to visit for a treatment which we are sure you would find very relaxing, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in our Luxury Lounge.
We do hope to see you again in the future.
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here last sunday night, got a really good deal from booking.com.
Unfortunately our booking never arrived from booking.com, thanks for the helpful staff we ended up in a coorporate room. Apparently it was not the first time that happened, I am just wondering what would have happened in the high season when the hotel is fully booked?
We stayed in a coorporate room on the 4th floor, which was spacious, quiet and clean. Apparently the "normal" rooms are a bit outdated.
The hotel is 50m from the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a coorporate room on the 4th floor, which was spacious, quiet and clean. Apparently the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to see you again in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I attended a wedding reception (my sister's) at this venue a couple of weeks ago. The room was 'ok'. Unfortunately we could only use cards to pay for drinks at the bar in the room which was very inconvenient as we didn't carry cash.
The nearest toilets were down some stairs which were a little steep, although there was a disabled toilet available.
The buffet was good although there was a lot of food left over. Unfortunately, the remaining wedding cake was thrown away despite staff saying it could be collected the following day which has been very upsetting.
All in all, I would say this isn't the best venue for a wedding reception as it seemed a little unorganised and maybe needs more training/experienced staff.

Room Tip: not the best for a wedding
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I did meet with your sister and her husband last week and talked with them for some time. When they left were happy. It is very upsetting that the left overs went missing, but it is also very upsetting that three negative reviews can be put on Trip Advisor about the hotel.
I know that they were off for their honeymoon in Germany so maybe if they are still here then they can pop in for another chat.
Many Thanks
James Gordon
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I had my wedding reception on the 15th March 2013 at this hotel. We had a lovely evening but then it was all ruined the next day! ...
we went to pick up my wedding cake as arranged. We were left waiting for 40 minutes, only to be told the cake was locked away in the chef's office and no one had the key. The hotel said they would ring me back the next day to come and pick it up. We waited in all morning until 11am and no phone call so I rang and was told they'd had a meeting and had found out the cake had been thrown away!
we then went down to the hotel to see the manager who didn't have a clue how to deal with the complaint, he just kept saying he was sorry, what did we want him to do to make it better and he then said they could make another cake for me! We declined this offer as to me it wouldn't be the same.
Also we mentioned that we should have been offered the buffet food that was left (as there was loads), to take home if we wanted to - we were told on Sunday they did have bags available and we could have done - this was a bit late and should have been mentioned on the night as we'd paid a lot of money for it.
I would also like to say that when we were planning the reception, we saw a few different people. The 1st lady told us we'd get a complimentary room for the night, but on making the final arrangements and payment, we were told there was no room included.
All in all, I've worked in many hotels myself and cannot believe the attitude this has been dealt with. I will say, the manager agreed to pay £100 (which has yet to arrive), but only after we came up with a solution, and this is not the point - that was my wedding cake for my one and only special day!
I can't believe how hard its been to try and contact the managing Director: Mr James Gordon, so please could you contact me on my email: amandawoodcock@hotmail.com as I'm still not satisfied with the outcome!

1 Thank Amanda W
Dear Amanda
To be honest, I can't believe what I am reading from these damaging reviews.
We met last week and discussed the situation with the wedding cake. I apologised about this as this was a mistake from our side... but you were both happy with the wedding itself.
You repeatedly told me that everything with the wedding was excellent, the food and service was outstanding, and understandably you were upset with what happened to the cake left overs.
When we met I handed you a cheque for £100 and you were happy with this at the time, and then I see a review like this.
You have cashed this cheque so now I feel like I want it back! Did you use it for your flights to Germany as you talked about last week?
We have even given you a number of complimentary Sunday lunches. I will stop these lunches as you are being pretty unfair here.
You agreed to talk to your aunt and have the other review removed, which has not happened and you have had even more bad negative reviews put on. This is totally unacceptable and damaging so please do the right thing and remove these reviews.
If you want to chat you know where I am.
To those of you who are planning to have your wedding with us, please understand that these comments are totally unfair.
We are an excellent venue for your wedding and always go the extra mile, please come in and see for yourself what we can do for you, and please ignore these upsetting comments.
Many Thanks