“Lumpy beds”

Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Lumpy beds”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Do not book room 221 the twin beds are the worst we have ever slept in. We did try and change rooms but they said the hotel was full. They did provide mattress covers but these were of little help. The hotel in general needs an update.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil M
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry your stay was not what you expected.
We are more than happy to move guests if they are unhappy however if the hotel is full, then it wouldn't be possible. I will pass on your comments to housekeeping. We do hope to see you again in the future and would be more than happy to accommodate you in one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

How can a hotel run like this the room was bad the staff bad did not speak good English the mangers did not care the food was very badly cook I don't think they was chefs overall bad bad bad i well not come back to this hotel and do not hesitate to book some way else

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Zuck21
Sammy Jane O, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
We're sorry your stay was not what you expected, your comments about our staff are a little bit surprising. We are very proud of our staff and often receive such fabulous feedback on their service and presentation. We certainly do care about our guests enjoyment during their stay with us and if you did decide to return, we would be only too happy to show this to you.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here with my husband for a night when he was participating in a competition in Bournemouth, I spent a fair bit of time in the room compared to him.

The location of the hotel is really nice, it is a 15 min walk to Bournemouth park and it is on a cliff that overlooks the beach. I know from speaking to other guests that those with rear facing rooms could see the sea, but, as with our experience, the front facing rooms have a view of the rear of another hotel and the ventilation system.

On arrival the staff were very friendly and polite; they were well dressed and acted professionally. The car park is VERY small, but there is an overflow across the road that the hotel gives a ticket for and you can use that, so it isn't a big problem.

The room decor in the communal areas is modern and bright, but the rooms are very dated. I remember my parent's house having the light fittings in the late 80s and the decor really was tatty and in dire need of refurbishment. The bathroom was also tatty.

The worse part was our bed. It needed replacing. There is no other way that I can put it. It was bad. As soon as either of us lay down the middle sagged and you could feel each of the springs. When I say each of the springs I don't mean a little bit.....I mean a lot. It was so uncomfortable. I asked reception if we could move rooms, but as the hotel was fully booked this wasn't possible, so I asked for a mattress protector to protect us from the springs and uncomfortable bed. After asking 3 times throughout the day someone came and put a duvet under the bed sheet to act as a mattress protector. After this the bed was still very uncomfortable and you could still feel the springs from the mattress, so I got the duvet off the spare single bed in our room, put it across the very middle of the bed and eventually got a fair night's sleep.

We had both an evening meal and breakfast at the hotel. The food in the evening was wonderful and the service very good. The breakfast in the morning was good and was a buffet.

We didn't use the spa facilities so cannot comment on that.

The hotel is very clean and the staff are polite and curtious. As we were part of a group booking the price we paid was okay, but we probably wouldn't book this hotel independently until it has a refurbishment; we would've given it 4 stars if our bed hadn't been so awful. I really cannot stress how bad and in need of replacing that bed was. It was awful.The stAff and food are both very good.

Room Tip: Try and get returned room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJDDMD
Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and will pass on your comments on the food and service to our staff. We do appreciate it when people take the time to feedback. We are currently in the process of refurbishing our hotel rooms and some have already been completed. With this in mind, we would be more than happy to offer you a newly refurbished room should you stay with us again in the future. We would love to achieve your 4 star rating (or possibly 5 stars!) and can only apologize that this part of your stay wasn't what you expected, but do hope to see you again soon.
uk
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have stayed there for 2 nts Spa Break, had a room on 4th floor, wich was noisy at night (something was knocking between the walls, kind of dripping noise). Bathroom was ok, but it took good half an hr to fill in the bath with water!! Nice and clean bedding, but old and noisy bed!
Breakfast... We went there after 9 one morning and there wasn't much left! And then on Sun after 10 and we had nearly Nothing to choose from! Restaurant staff had appologise and said that they are Very busy and stressed becouse of the jewish People whoes arriving tomorrow, that's is why they have run out of eggs, tomatoes.... What a stupid excuse!!!!
My husband had a couple of spa massages Booked, which were ok. Jazzuzi was the worst a I have ever seen, small and dirty, sauna Very stinki and dirty again! Wasn't able to use the pool (was frezzing cold).
The only good thing about our stay was the short distance from the sea front, 2 min walk.

• Stayed April 2014
7 Thank magdan-85tlen
Thank you for your review. We are sorry your stay was not what you expected.
The temperature range that the human body can withstand is very wide, which is why individual preferences can vary so much; but there is certainly a ceiling on pool water temperature to prevent the proliferation of bacteria as micro-organisms multiply faster – up to twice as fast for a rise of 10°C, which means that the filters are increasingly likely to be colonised. Additionally the warmer the pool water the less effective the chlorine based disinfectants are. This is why we keep our pool at the temperature of 29 degrees to make it safe for anyone to use.
I would also like to point out that breakfast does finish at 9.45 on the weekends, which would explain why there would not have been much food left if you arrived passed 10am.
If you do stay again, you would be more than welcome to request a newly refurbished room; and to avoid missing breakfast, perhaps you could order it to your room next time for a small charge. We do hope to see you again in the future to restore your faith in the Queens hotel.

Note to TripAdvisor:
I do find it odd that this guest has given us 5 stars for location and 3 stars for value and then 3 stars for service, but overall we are given a 1 star rating. I believe Trip Advisor needs to rethink the way the stars are placed!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Maybe this hotel was okay in the 60s but not in 2014. Avoid if you can. Rude staff with an attitude when checking in or asking for information. The rooms are old and the bed is uncomfortable. Gym is small but I could say that is the best part that this hotel has to offer.

Breakfast is really poor and not good quality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank LadyBB1987
Sorry your stay was not what you expected. We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel and should you return to Bournemouth, we would recommend requesting a newly refurbished room (as not all the rooms are completed). Please do speak with the Duty Manager when booking who would be only too happy to arrange this. Our staff so often receive such wonderful feedback and i'm regularly seen congratulating them on good feedback. We do hope to see you again.
Cardiff- Wales
Reviewed 14 April 2014

What a disappointment!

Visited this hotel last weekend and words cannot begin to explain how diabolical the place is. As you can see from my other reviews I am usually very fair and tend to have something positive to say.

On arrival we couldn`t get a parking space in the car park as it was so busy so parked out on the street. We accepted this as it was late on a Friday night however the response I got from the male receptionist was well it`s a busy hotel and he just walked off! and left another receptionist to deal with us. We discovered the following morning that there is in fact free parking across the road in the nearby college car park so not sure why we were not told and issued with a pass on the Friday night to save parking in the street (you have to pay from 0900).

There was only one small hand towel for the two of us in the room. I complained to reception in the morning and they said they would arrange for towels to be delivered. I assumed that after the room had been cleaned for the morning that we`d have towels but the hand towel from the previous night was moved from the towel rack onto the top of the shower (heated towel rack didn`t work nor did the extractor fan which looks like it`s never been cleaned. Also smelt like someone had poured half a bottle of harpic down the toilet the smell was extremely overpowering).

On asking reception if we could use the pool we were told that no towels were available and advised that we would have to dry ourselves with a dressing gown - how disgusting!!! I refused to do this and the female receptionist seeing my disgust said she would try her best to find us some towels.

The receptionist came back with two towels for the pool to which we were grateful for however I stupidly left my towel at the changing rooms (as per the instructions) assuming that by now we would surely have towels available in the room. Still no towels! I came across a cleaner in the hallway who said that the towels were all in the dryer and she would bring some up soon. Towels finally arrived but they were hand towels and was told that was all they had. How many times do you have to ask for a towel?

Next onto the leisure club - I have never seen anything like this and am so glad I didn`t book a spa day and would most definitely advise against this. The pool was freezing cold (definately not 30C as advised) and the water extremely cloudy, the sauna didn`t work was stone cold and the jacuzzi is bordering on a health hazard the water is green, with loose grit under foot, again no heat and the area outside of the jacuzzi was flooded with the grates fully open and all broken up in several places.

On first inspection our room looked ok and was a fair size but the top of the window catch was broken with parts missing which meant that it couldn`t be shut properly. Friday night in Bournemouth is extremely noisy with hen and stag nights - we accept this as the norm for Bournemouth but we do expect to be able to shut the window and for it to offer some form of noise protection which was most definitely not the case. Woke up on Saturday morning feeling really sick from sleep deprivation and the bed was extremely uncomfortable.

I understand from other reviews that the hotel is going through a period of refurbishment but there was no mention of this when we checked in. Based on what we have seen they would be better off closing until refurbishment work is completed.

Also on another note the shampoo and shower gel were just very cheap sachets and not bottles (I noticed when we checked out the maid had the usual hotel bottles of shampoo and shower gels- is this because we booked with expedia and not direct - most strange?

I have had much better experiences in budget accommodation such as Premier Inn and Travelodge and most definitely will not be coming back and want to make sure others are aware so they don`t have to face the same problems we encountered during our stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank holidaymaker1980
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your stay was not what you expected and not sure why there was an issue with the towels, but we will look into that.
With regard to the pool, obviously the temperature range that the human body can withstand is very wide, which is why individual preferences can vary so much; but there is a ceiling on pool water temperature to prevent the proliferation of bacteria as micro-organisms multiply faster – up to twice as fast for a rise of 10°C, which means that the filters are increasingly likely to be colonised. Additionally the warmer the pool water the less effective the chlorine based disinfectants are. This is why we keep it at around 29 degrees so that it is safe for anyone to use.
The Jacuzzi is run by a sand filter and so those grains that you may feel under your feet, are simply the grains that the filter uses to keep the water clean. And the water does sometimes look green due to the lighting, however can assure you it is completely safe.
We do hope that you will return again in the future so that we can restore your faith in the Queens Hotel.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

8 of us came here for a spa day and afternoon tea last week as a little treat for my hen do, so that the mums could be involved. The leisure facilities were awful! The pool was small and cold, too unbearable for me to get in. The jacuzzi was no bigger than my bath at home and the floor of the jacuzzi was full of grit and there was lots of hair floating on the surface. The steam room was out of order. The complementary towels were small, rough, frayed and stained. We literally stayed in the leisure facilities for no longer than 30 minutes before we all decided to get changed and head for the bar instead.

That said, the afternoon tea was lovely and the fresh warm scones with the clotted cream were to die for!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank chersteele
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your spa day wasn't what you expected, but we do regularly maintain our spa facilities. We are in the process of updating and refurbishing the hotel and some areas are still to be completed. We are so glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea and do hope that you will return in the future and that we can restore your faith in the Queens Hotel.