1,626 results
All reviews boot camp ladies festival evening meal the cliff town centre disco coach pier
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My fiance and I checked into this hotel after deciding to visit the Christmas market. We checked in at about 3pm, the hotel was nice, we stayed in the honeymoon suite which was nice and spacious and had an amazing hot tub type bath. At about 6pm we were getting changed ready to go out for dinner when we had a phone call saying that my fiance's mother had been found dead. We were both in hysterics, packed our bags and ran downstairs to check out and go home. I asked reception to call us a taxi to take us to the station and explained the situation. The staff looked at each other with raised eyebrows when I asked if we needed to pay for the full nights stay having only been there for 3 hours. They looked at each other like we were 2 young people who were trying it on for a freebee, the man chuckled and said "sorry luv you'll av to claim it back on ur travel insurance", he couldn't even be bothered to speak real English to me. Travel insurance? We were in the UK and staying in a hotel simply to save us the long journey home! More fool us I suppose. The staff stood there laughing as we had tears rolling down our eyes, I threw over my credit card and we jumped in the taxi. I later phoned my credit card company, as I knew hotels, flights etc are were insured when paid for on my card. They told me in the first instance I would have to write to the hotel to make a claim. I did. Three times. Each time explaining the situation and enclosing a copy of the previous letter. They didn't even write back. There's nothing particulary bad about this hotel, except the staff, their lack of caring and complete ignore towards people in need. Yes it's cheap and yes it's a good location, by all means go, but maybe just maybe you might want staff who treat people with some decency.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liz22
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Reviewed 9 June 2010

We had another lovely stay at The Queens last month for my 50th birthday celebrations. Many thanks again to Andrew (Dave) Stoddart and the team for making us so welcome again, nothing is too much trouble for him.

I stayed with a group of ten friends this time in six rooms and all were very comfortable. I was lucky enough to have a suite, which was lovely, very spacious and comfortable.

Food was very good again, especially breakfast, which is plentiful and of a very high standard. The dinner was lovely and the champagne was very much appreciated.

The only disappointing thing (although not surprising) was that we couldn’t get any treatments at the spa as they were fully booked. (It was brilliant last time we stayed in November) We know now to book in advance next time.

Thanks to the lovely Masonic friends we made and thanks for inviting us to your quiz and dance – we really enjoyed it !

The staff are great - everyone is so helpful and polite from Bryan the Bar manager to the staff in the Restaurant – they all made us very welcome, which makes it such a great place to stay.

Kind regards to you all and see you again at the end of November with the ‘BA’ crowd.

Susanne

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 June 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and the food was very good indeed and the staff were very attentive and polite.
Having said that I am in a wheel chair and can only walk a little,the metal ramps into the entrance are dangerous and having used them on arrival I did not dare use them again neither would one other person in a wheelchair. I always ask my tour company to always ask for a stool to be placed in the bathroom and there always is one. this time no stool, my husband went and asked the manager for a stool and he said no because of health and safety I might fall off !! When my husband told him I could only stand for a couple of minutes he shrugged his shoulders, not good public relations. We had to put a bedroom chair in the bathroom and as the room was minute it did create some difficulty.

• Stayed: June 2010

Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights for our 1st wedding anniversary & I was a ittle disappointed with the room to be honest. I had advised it was our anniversary when I booked & was told we had a "lovely room" - sadly I didn't think so. It looked tired & dated. We arrived quite late on the Thurs night so thought we'd watch a bit of TV in our room - sadly with only 4 channels there was not a lot to choose from!
The staff were courteous & helpful - especially when we couldn't park the car in the car park because of a function on the Friday & Saturday nights & cars were just parked anywhere - even across the entrance!!! They told us to park in the college over the road - however they didn't tell us the gates got padlocked!!!! (We did get the car out eventually!!!)
Sadly, the two functions seemed to dominate the hotel & we "other guests" were a little neglected at breakfast & in the bar. We didn't get to use the spa facilities sadly so I can't comment.
All in all it was a pleasant stay - we may consider staying here again - but I will check if there are any functions booked in before we do!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2010

First time stay at Queens. Stayled for 4 nights. It was very busy while we were there, various functions and coach parties coming and going. If appeared that the staff were struggling to cope. We were RO and glad we did not have to face breakfast. The dining room looked chaotic and guests were complaining there was nowhere to sit! We booked 1 dinner in the hotel. The head waiter took forever to find us a table for 2 even though the restaurant was virtually empty. He looked very harrassed. We were given a wine list but nobody asked if we wished to order a drink! A jug of water was brought instead. The food was delivered promptly, it was hot and of average standard.The waitresses were very obliging although did not speak good English. The hotel is well situated 2 minutes from beach and buses in Bath Road. Easy access to the railway station, town shops, BIC Centre. Our room was a standard twin but we were given a triple room at the front of the hotel with side balcony and sea view. The room was very clean but had torn curtain and needed updating. The beds were very comfortable. Due to creaky floorboards and guests who did not seem to sleep, we had very little sleep during our stay. The hotel indoor pool is excellent and a lovely temperatue. The reception staff go through the motions only but are not particularly friendly. We were asked to pay the full amount for our stay, even though we had prepaid weeks earlier through lastmin.com! No apology was given. We would stay at the Queens again, on RO basis, but ask for a top floor bedroom.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple