The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel
US$129
Park Central Hotel(Bournemouth)
US$111
  • Beachfront
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$64
The Cumberland Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$82
US$96
US$89
The Suncliff Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$66
  • Beachfront
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$87
US$172
US$107
Priceline
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$93
US$101
PremierInn.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewssea viewgarden restaurantquirky decorafternoon teacream teasconeslovely hotelsister hotelthe cliffgroupon dealcourse mealtwo night stayfamily roomlovely weekendbournemouth pierweekend breaklovely room
Reviewed 23 December 2012

To be in the area for business I booked a single at Cottonwood for just one night with a dinner, bed and breakfast package at a great price. I was not disappointed.

The hotel has had a recent and flamboyant makeover and is like falling into in a slightly mad very gay florist's dream world! The effect is skin-deep in that if I was a building surveyor or some architectural awards judge I would be feeling much more integral work was to be desired. But as a guest the look and feel of the place is all it needs to offer a rewarding experience.

The staff were all helpful and friendly - indeed I think they enjoy being a part of the environment and so step-up to add their part to make the offer more than just frivolous skin-deep appearance.

My little room was in truth a bit dull but it was good enough, with a good bed, all clean and functional with a few 'off the wall' elements to make it feel a part of the show. And too warm. I had to turn the rad' off and open the window. The whole place was boiling!

The evening meal I had was excellent, small portions but that is how it should be; I don't want to have a three course dinner that is so heaped-up I do not have an appetite for the desert. So Mr and Mrs Piggy you are not going to get a heap of food to trough at but you are going to get quality (if you know what that looks like).

I did have a few drinks too and yet was not shocked by the bar bill. Pub prices.

Breakfast was first rate. Good eggs, proper sausages, tomato juice, kippers if you want them. Nice big pot of tea.

So I had a grand old time but I am only rating at 'Very Good' and not 'Excellent'. Why? Because a great deal of what this hotel is about is the impression of style. Well the food is close to the real thing, the staff are genuine, the décor frankly, whilst lavish and thrilling, is in truth a bit false, a little bit of a pastiche of style (I hate to see fake paintings in a world full of real artists who struggle to sell work for a pittance) and the building whilst having fine grand bones needs real work - massively expensive work - to really put the old place into the condition it pretends to offer. But that will not stop you from having a lavish ball there. No no.

Room Tip: I would want a room with a sea view if staying for a few nights.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Many thanks for your comments and feedback on Trip Advisor. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that when you are next in Bournemouth will choose to stay here again.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

We booked for a single Saturday night as needed to be walking distance to the O2 Academy. Externally and on arrival, it all looks rather depressing in the daylight, although reception was helpful and cheerful and decor in the bar and reception area is cheerful but all rather cheap. Bar service was poor and although a lovely view to the sea, the rooms were disappointing. The in-room guest information states 'already regarded as the latest word in chic, contemporary decadence' probably 3 descriptive words that I would not apply to the Cottonwood. I understand what they were trying for - but have missed it by miles. Breakfast was well presented with a nice selection of fresh fruit. All in all it is a cheap wedding venue party hotel - I now understand why we had to pay upfront when we checked in (a first) and why the bar staff were a bit rude when we wanted to put the drinks tab on our bill... I guess they have loads of people leaving without paying?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view - it will take your mind off the filthy carpets
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights at the same time as the Canadian guest and had a really different experience. The reception was warm and friendly and we were upgraded to a room with a sea view at no extra cost. The rooms were decorated with beautifully bright wallpaper, just the thing for a November stay! We found the staff polite and would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade at no extra cost just ask!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diana g
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Avoid this hotel at all costs. It has the worst level of customer service of any hotel I have ever stayed at anywhere in the Western world!

The all Eastern European staff were lazy and could not deal with my noise problems emanating form the nearby Bay view Breeze Accommodation next door. It took 48 hours for a "manager" to do anything for me.

Terribly rude and impolite staff who felt as though they were doing you a favor by responding to your phone calls and requests to keep the noise levels down.

Rooms are tired (1960-1970) and dated and the sound proofing non-existent. The pictures on the web site are much better than the reality of the place.

Nothing positive to say about this hotel and the entire place other than to say it was like being in prison !!!

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank OttawaTravel2012
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I was a bit nervous after seeing the reviews on here by some people especially about the water pressure! I stayed for 3 nights in a single room, But due to the fact that my room was right next to the generator I asked to move the next day and they happily obliged and put me in a double at no extra charge. The Garden restaurant is superb and I definitely recommend going half board. As for the water pressure issues, the first room I stayed in had a fantastic shower , the second room had a bath and overhead shower, I don't understand what people are complaining about. It is an old building but there is still enough water pressure to enjoy a decent bath or shower in my opinion. Staff were very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are near the generator. It is on until about 10 pm and on again at 6 ish am. If you are a light sleeper this may bother you. Avoid room 36 if possible
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family