“fine weekend break at the Cottonwood”

The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel
Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Enjoyed a break at the Cottonwood to celebrate my wife's birthday, the room while a little smaller than expected for a 'superior' room was spotlessly clean, with a big comfortable bed and a sea view, en suite bathroom was modern and well appointed. Service was excellent from friendly and welcoming staff. We did not get round to trying the Garden Restaurant for evening meals because we discovered Urban Reef in nearby Boscombe (see separate review) but breakfasts were good, buffet style but with attentive service from friendly waiting staff and afternoon tea out on the terrace was nice. It is an easy walk into the centre of Bournemouth
and parking at the hotel was fine.
Decor in the public areas is certainly out of the ordinary, (I absent mindedly said good morning to a coat of armour near reception on more than one occasion) We enjoyed our stay and would certainly make a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Keith

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay. I think that is the first time I have heard of guests talking to one of our coats of armour, something you will remember your stay for I imagine.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cottonwood in the near future. Do keep us in mind if you are thinking of enjoying a Christmas break by the coast, we have a wonderful Christmas Package on offer from £375.00. Feel free to contact us if you would like further information.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went to a soul weekender but did not want to stay in the same hotel so looked for one close to the venue. Hence The Cottonwood. So pleased we did. Beautiful Hotel, with fantastic staff who were so helpful and accommodating, the room we were in was lovely clean basic but we did not go there to spend any time in the room. We ate in the restaurant both nights and were a bit anxious as we could have a 3 course meal with glass of wine for £20 per head but the food was delicious and once again the staff were brilliant. Breakfast was included in our deal and once again you could not fault this, plenty to chose from, not cheap food, tasty and very fresh. We holiday a couple of times a year and go to hotels 3 or 4 times a year and this would be in my top ten. Definitely would go back there again.

Room Tip: wish we had tried the sea view rooms as they look beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Wendy A

Delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and dined in the Garden Restaurant on both evenings. The Wine and Dine menu really is a great offer isn't it, with 2 courses and a glass of wine for just £14.95 and just an extra £3.50 for dessert.

Do keep us in mind when you are planning your next trip to Bournemouth, we have a wonderful 3 night Christmas package or 1 and 2 night breaks available over New Year. The coast is such a lovely place to visit over the winter months; particularly when there's an icy chill in the air and the sea is like a mill pond.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed at the Cottonwood Hotel for 2 nights.Friendly reception staff we were upgraded as returning guests.Very comfortable room lovely beds.Good breakfast with attentive friendly staff. Recommend the cream tea.Thank you Cottonwood staff for a great 2 day break

Dear cathyfrost1
A pleasure to welcome you back to the Cottonwood and I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.

The cream teas are rather lovely aren't they, must say I do think adding a glass of fizz is a nice little treat! We've just launched our Christmas Cream Tea; proving to be very popular with seasonal sandwiches, mince pies, Christmas cake and a very lovely chocolate cake!

Thank you once again for your review, very much appreciated.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My parner and I had a fabulous night here just recently and will be most certainly be back again. A lovely hotel full of character and charm, with beautiful furnishings and accessories. We had a room with a view over looking the beach and it was just perfect for us. Just outside of the town centre, with a lovely walk and sea air it was nice and peaceful at night apart from the lapping of the sea. Just wonderfull.

Dear wildangel13

So glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. The sea views are wonderful aren't they. Well worth the upgrade if they are available.

Do let us know when you are planning your next trip to Bournemouth, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at the CWBH when visiting the area on business, the hotel room was paid for by the company I was visiting, however I still felt so aggrieved by the "service" I received that I felt id share my experience here. I arrived at the Cottonwood Hotel at 10pm and was met by what looked like the back of a nightclub or restaurant. The receptionist was very pleasant (uncharacteristically when compared with some of the most hostile and unhelpful staff members that blighted the rest of my visit!) The hotel is very...dated, mismatched and cheap. I remember walking past an open door and thinking "ooh, there is a library!" (which I found was actually patterned wallpaper..). I reached my room, a khaki coloured doubled room with a clashing colour scheme and completely mismatched furniture. It felt very much like a hostel or a community centre. Each piece of glass was safety glass, each door a fire door and it all gave off that prison feel that we all love. The bathroom was almost as small as a downstairs toilet (seriously) with only a shower, toilet and sink. The sink protruded over the top of the toilet almost completely (imagine like on a train,,). The room was almost devoid of toiletries, no comb, no toothpaste. The bare minimum all round really. During the night, the sound of drunk people walking past the hotel, and on the floors above rang through the room loud enough for me to think that someone was actually in my room. The following morning after a disturbed nights sleep I decided that I had better get some breakfast before a long day, I ventured down to the restaurant to be met by a maître d' who's first action was to judge me, asking "student?", I have long hair, tattoo's and piercings and obviously that means that I am open to be judged first thing in the morning. I observed other guests receive much more respectful treatment which made me feel like I was being singled out. I was asked to remove my hat (which I was wearing to cover my bed-hair) I realise is a matter of manners, however I would expect a hotel to allow a guest to act as they would in their own house, but seemingly not. She had no record of my room and acted as-though I was trying to somehow steal a breakfast from her. I ordered my breakfast and after an uncomfortable wait (given the exchange and stone silence in the restaurant) it came and I enjoyed it for the most part. I ate until I was full and left my egg as I didn't want to over-eat before a long day. The maître d' came to my table and began to chastise me for not eating my entire breakfast, offering to supply eggs cooked to my taste, only after questioning me loudly in-front of the other guests. I simply got up and walked out in disgust. I packed my things and left, only asking the receptionist for the direction of Bournemouth town to which she pointed towards the town and I left.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a sink-desk and dress as middle class as possible to ensure decent service. D...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Ep3TypeR
Reviewed 29 September 2013

found parking very difficult as all the hotel parking spaces seemed to be taken by locals watching the friday night fireworks checked in though what felt like the back door ! reception ok friendly but the lift is like something from a horror film the room more shabby than chic, floor very uneven carpet an advert for slippers very badly stained you didnt want to walk with nothing on your feet the clear plastic chair unusable bed small average 2star would recommend sea view must be better than the view we had the chef knows how how to poach eggs the rest was below average
including the evening meal.

Room Tip: try sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Apparently it means pink rose-patterned paper on the ceiling in the restaurant, a pair of quirky multi-coloured chairs in the lobby, two suits of armour, and a library with photographs of shelves full of books....but no books. Very strange. Other than that, and a preponderance of pink in the public areas, it appears to be much like any other hotel.

Well, that's not strictly true. It is unusual these days to have to struggle up some stairs with one's cases and then fight with the front door to get inside a hotel. The check-in process was easy and pleasant but the next battle was with the lift. No automatic doors here. Instead, a heavy outer door to pull open and then a heavy sliding metal grille gate to open. Must be careful not to trap my fingers, I thought. Success! First bags safely taken to our room so down the stairs for the second lot. Back into the lift where I promptly trapped my finger as the metal grille slid closed. That was the last time I used the lift.

So much for first impressions. Fortunately we had booked a sea view room which was adequately-sized, comfortable, with a decent en suite, and with splendid views across Bournemouth bay from the Isle of Wight in the east to the Purbeck hills in the west. Things were looking up.....until dinner.

It's not that there was anything very much wrong with the food, indeed the breakfasts were very good. The problem was with the table d'hote dinner menu to which we were entitled on our half board package. It seems the chef does not approve of vegetables or salads. Only one main course on the limited and unchanging menu included any vegetables other than potato. It was possible to switch to a sort of a la carte menu (but with fixed prices for two or three courses subject to surcharges for some dishes) or to ask for extra vegetables or a salad but what a performance that was. Everything came at a price. Fair enough but even the friendly foreign waiting staff did not seem to know how to calculate what the extra prices were. Add to that the fact that the table d'hote menu included a glass of wine and the a la carte didn't and confusion reigned. All rather irritating. The message for guests is probably to book B&B and then choose each evening which menu you want to go with (or eat out). You only save a pound or two each night by booking HB anyway. The message for hotel management is to rethink their dinner menus and pricing strategy!

Apart from these fairly minor irritations this is not a bad hotel and we would probably stay there again (if they will have us). The staff are friendly and helpful and the place is well kept. Like us, though, it is showing its age.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are probably worth the extra cost but noise from the bar terrace below can be a nuis...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Dorsetlad
Many thanks for your feedback and pleased to learn that you would choose to stay with us again. Of course we will have you back!
Boutique is one of those words isn't it, wide open for interpretation and quite personal to each individual. As well as using it to describe our unique décor, we also use it to differentiate ourselves from other types of hotels in Bournemouth; such as the larger, impersonal and corporate hotels.
Your comments regarding the menus are much appreciated and will be discussed with the Management Team later this month.
Unfortunately the lift is not the most modern and there are no imminent plans to change this, we will however look to see if there is anything we can do to avoid fingers any other fingers being caught.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the Cottonwood over the coming months.