“Coveniently located in the heart of a small town”

Norfolk Royale Hotel
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The good thing about staying in the Norfolk is the convenience it offers in terms of its proximity to shopping centers, pubs and other hangouts.
Stayed here for about 5 days. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.
Most hotels in Bournemouth offer Bed & Breakfast. The Breakfast menu here too was nothing lavish and didnt change much over the course of my stay.
What I understood was that there are a very few good hotels within the town. So, If the idea is to roam around the small town, then this is the place to stay. Would otherwise recommend hotels by the Sea.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Dwarak_M

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Our stay was part of a Super Breaks Birthday gift bought for me by a family member. Overall we enjoyed our stay and don't have too many complaints but maybe if I myself had paid in full for this short break then I may have felt slightly different about my overall experience.

We received a very warm welcome from reception. We were checked quite efficiently and as the room and food were prepaid under the package they kindly agreed to let me pay cash for any extras upon checkout. There were no problems with check out which was good. It was very frustrating however that the main guy on reception called Adrian although a very lovely and helpful chap had to ask me repeat all my questions because he did not understand English very well. I am not being prejudice but I would have thought that one of the main requirements for front of house staff would be a good command of English. We are in England after all.

Again as mentioned by other reviewers that Hotel car park is £12 per 24 hours. Yes we were aware of this before we arrived and yes it is a secure car park but we have stayed at other 3 and 4 star hotels that have much cheaper room rates that do not charge for secure parking and also use CCTV. I do appreciate that this charge may be for a number of good reasons but considering that the customer is paying quite a high rate for their stay as it is then I think that the Hotel should at least look at reducing this extra cost a bit as it may hinder them in retaining repeat guests.

The hotel has a very chilled and relaxed in the day and has a lovely ambience during the evening, the piano player really adds charm to the atmosphere at night. The rooms are very nice and seem to have been updated. Lovely king size bed with lots of pillows, Flat screen TV, Moulten Brown toiletries, an iron and good hairdryer. Bathroom was nice and had a nice heated towel rail. The little niggles were that the room was poorly ventilated. You would expect some sort of air conditioning if you are paying £132 per night. Even a basic travel lodge has some sort of ventilation. So ok there was no conditioning, not the end of the world but when I tried to open the windows they could only opened very slightly. The power shower although very nice was very difficult to operate in terms of adjusting the temperature and some of the temperature dial came off in my hand when I tried to turn it. In the end we gave up and used the additional showerhead attached to the bath taps. Ok these are just minor niggles and not the end of the world but for someone paying full price for this room who is expecting a high standard then I can see why they would get annoyed. Why did we not report this? Well we are not fussy, discerning travellers and we only had the weekend to enjoy ourselves and so we did want to waste our time complaining.

The food was very good; I can honestly say that I did not have a bad meal in my stay. The food always came out hot and was of good quality and the portion sizes were good. I cannot see the problem with the breakfast style buffet. It meant I could have what I wanted and as little or as much as I wanted and did not have to wait for my food to arrive from the kitchen. The restaurant staff clearly work very hard and really seemed to care about their guests. One night I was in a lot of pain with an injury that I got through my job and Maria who worked in the restaurant was genuinely concerned that I was Ok. We did witness some of the guests being very difficult to the staff and some of the guests themselves seemed to lack a bit of common sense. Is really that hard to work out how to use the toasting machine? All you have to do is put on the conveyer belt and wait for it to come out the other side. I was shocked by a few examples of arrogance displayed by some of the guests such as one man sent back several bottles of wine after tasting it and had the waitresses running back and forth to find him the right wine for him. One lady who sat on the table next to me thought it was ok the play with her I Pad while at the breakfast table and her husband who parked his Mini outside the hotel thought there was nothing wrong with parking directly on the “No parking” sign painted clearly in yellow on the floor as long as he left room for other cars to get through. There is the other side of the coin that just because the hotel guest has paid for a service does not give them a licence to behave anyway that they want to.

Having said all this I can understand the complaints of the previous guests as the hotel does need modernising as many parts of it are run down. I understand that the hotel wishes to retain some it’s original identity so it does not lose its charm but there are many aspects for a four star hotel that are very under par which justifiably has irritated the guests such as the limited leisure facilities, certain parts of the hotel being understaffed such as the hotel bar area and also many of the staff that have very good intentions but are poorly trained. The hotel owners should maybe look at the reoccurring issues on this site and instead of replying with abrupt sarcastic responses ask themselves whether all the bad reviews are down to fussy travellers or is it down to the hotel itself? In my view it needs to decide whether it wants to find ways to improve in order for it to justify its prices or whether to reduce its rates and provide better value for money because at the moment it seems to be losing out on many potential repeat customers. Overall we had a lovely stay and would recommend the hotel but would I return with the current price and the way the hotel is at the moment? Maybe but then maybe may look somewhere else next time that comes closer to justifying its prices. I hope the hotel will take some of the criticism on board as it certainly has a lot of potential and I wish it all the best for the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vincemansi
Reviewed 5 June 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last night as part of a last minute weekend break to Bournemouth. I can't stress how disappointed we were with the hotel and it's service, this hotel does not even warrant 2* never mind 4*. It really is charging extortionate prices, and fighting well above it's weight!

- Rooms were average in terms of decor. Firstly we were allocated room 5 which was dark, dingy and had mildew around the bathroom window. We were then given room 109 which was brighter- carpet was dirty and threadbare. Receptionist was accommodating and friendly.
TV pay per view did not work and signal was fragmented.
We had terribly broken sleep due to creaky floor boards, noise from either the lifts or kitchen, (not sure which), and doors slamming where the fire safety 'door closers' are old and do not close the door quietly as they should.

- Restaurant - decor was average, nothing special. Food at dinner was pleasant enough, although served luke warm. We had to wait so long between courses we were just glad to eat something by the time it arrived! Breakfast was like a cheap canteen, there was no table service aside from tea/coffee and you even had to make your own toast! The hot buffet was a shambles with food constantly running out meaning long queues, and again, luke warm food.
Staff could not cope with the number of customers, many tables remained un-cleared throughout dinner and breakfast, and customers were sat with dirty plates in front of them. Restaurant staff were friendly but poorly trained - service was not that of a 4* hotel.

- Leisure facilities - There was a small pool and jacuzzi (which was very very cold!) and a sauna and a steam room. All clean and quite well maintained.

- Entrance/lounge area/corridors - all presentable and well maintained. Great pianist playing in the evening. As mentioned previously, very creaky floorboards on 1st floor- I would not have liked to be in a room beside these floorboards!

My other comments would be parking is extortionate- £12 per 24 hours is just ludicrous. Staff generally are very friendly- please just train them so they come across as being slightly more professional!

Having read the other comments on trip advisor, I would say the most recent reviews are pretty representative of what you get- you pay a lot of money (in our case £162 for 1 night) for a glorified travel lodge. On Friday night, we paid £60 for a small guesthouse (East Cliff Cottage) which was absolutely wonderful- we would feel more inclined to stick to places such as this in Bournemouth in future.

Finally, what shocks me most is the comments that the general management of the hotel are writing back with on here- we are your paying customers, please value the feedback that we give to you and act upon it where you can, otherwise you can come across as having a slight air of arrogance! There are definite improvements that can be easily made to the Norfolk Royale that might help improve your reviews - don't let your arrogance overshadow this.

Room Tip: request room away from creaky floorboards!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MargaretAthens13579
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Read some reviews before our visit that were not very good. I can only say that those people must be very strange. We found this hotel to be clean, comfortable, lovely food, excellent service. We cannot recommend it enough. A really fabulous hotel!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggie156k
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Came here as part of a large group. Staff were friendly and the receptionist was really kind to our children. The restaurant staff need far more training as the service was very definitely not silver service. Breakfast was a disappointment......even at a premier inn you get to order your hot food. Position was lovely and central but this did also mean noisy at times. Parking was so difficult it meant that we were frightened to go out in case we lost the space! Again £12 is very steep for what is not a secure car park. We would come again but on a cheap deal. 3 star standard ........ Just.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Thevtwins
NRHBournemouth, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Thank you for your comments. We do not operate a Silver Service restaurant but offer a modern brasserie style service. Most 4 star hotels with inclusive breakfast use buffets as cooked to order takes too long to serve. Our Car Parking is a secure underground car park.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

This could be a lovely place but! Staff let it down and the noise coming from club across road and loud drunks didn't sleep for the three nights we stayed there room and bath room dirty bathroom three star not four blood stained nets bad beds and food terrible staff ignore complaints and some are rude pool area filthy never paid to park i'n hotel car park before 12 pound a night lift i's terrible so slow cold unwelcoming ignore guests if u complain and the response s on here to people complaining say it all rude and there just not bothered what u think u can find lot better for the money over rated big time

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank tanlisa22
Reviewed 30 April 2011

The worst food and scruffy noisy rooms.
Awful customer service
If there was a competition for a fawlty towers experience this place would be in with a good shout of winning
Ate in the restaurant and was physically ill for the next three days
Just Stay Away !