“Excellent”

Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fantastic room,service and food. All staff could not be more polite and professional. We went away for a few days afte our wedding and we were treated like royalty.Perfect location for the shops and beach. Perfect!

Room Tip: I am looking forward to returning ASAP, Perfect in every way
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Marie R

Thank you so much for your glowing review. I've shared this with the team, who are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us after your wedding, and that you found them polite and professional.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Rachel Painter-Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

+ Nice characterful hotel, Good Breakfast, Good staff at reception on check in day, Good location

- Noisy room, Bad wi fi connection (though I had specifically requested), Curt (almost bordering to rude) staff at reception on check out, Unattentive bar staff - didnt care about what I wanted, gave the incorrect menu to start with, gave the wrong order !. Really disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear dneeti

Thank you for your positive comments, and I'm pleased you appreciated the character of the hotel, the good breakfast and the reception team on check in.

I am, however, disappointed that you found your room noisy and that the wi fi connection was not good. The majority of rooms here have wi fi although there's still a few with cable connection. We're working on this with our IT department. I'm particularly concerned that you experienced curt staff on check out and inattentive bar staff. The majority of reviewers compliment the staff on their professionalism and friendliness and their willingness to go that extra mile. Please do accept my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

I do hope we will welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

With regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I came to Norfolk Royale Hotel on Friday for afternoon tea and have to say it was amazing! I came a couple of years ago and it was just as good as I remembered. We luckily had nice weather, so were able to sit in the conservatory. The food was gorgeous and the items were slightly different to last time which made it something a bit different. However, the best part of the day was the staff. They were friendly, polite and very helpful. I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear LizH89

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you found our afternoon tea to be amazing. With such good weather, the terrace is a great location for afternoon teas, as is our landscaped garden. I was particularly pleased to read your comment that the best part of the day was the staff. I've passed this onto the team.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed 27-29th May using a pre-purchased Gold Voucher. This was our third visit and reading the recent reviews we must have been very lucky 3 times on the trot as we have enjoyed each of our visits!! At check-in we were warmly greeted and given room 209 which was spacious, spotless and had a big comfy bed.

We booked dinner for 7.30pm and although the restaurant was very busy, a waitress took our order and we were enjoying our starter of soup of the day within 10 minutes of being seated. By the way we were offered bread rolls, which were in fact mini loafs in brown or white, our dinner on both evenings was fine.

Yes breakfast here is self service, (I stayed at a Hilton hotel last month and that was also self service), the cooked selection was very good and staff made sure things didn't run out.

Service in the bar was slow and yes drinks are premium priced. The leather seating in the bar and lounge may be a little tired but add to the character of this well positioned hotel. Car parking at £13 a night is expensive, but the NCP next door charges the same so you don't have a lot of choice.

One negative was the pool water was murky when we wanted a swim (didn't bother in the end)

A new general manger was appointed a few weeks ago, so hopefully the issues other guests have encountered will be addressed.

Room Tip: Book one of the refurbished executive rooms i.e room 209 which have free wifi ,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Derek L

Many thanks for your review after staying with us last month for the third time!

I'm so pleased you had a really good stay with us and will pass on your kind comments to the team. I am sorry to hear the pool water was murky and this was resolved very quickly.

We at the Norfolk Hotel look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth visit.

With kind regards
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Room and furniture was dirty and quite unappealing... No air conditioning so had to sleep with windows open which would have been okay except for the constant noise from what appeared to be the climate control contraption for the pool and hot tub just outside our window. Pool area didn't appear to be too clean either... Food in hotel restaurant was quite good. Our room may have been an exception as others in our tour group were happy with their rooms. We may have drawn a bad lot on our room which we finally got after being given a room occupied by someone else. Great location.

Room Tip: If not happy, try again?
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Matt B

Thank you for your review, and I am very disappointed to hear your comments in relation to the room allocated to you. Not all of our bedrooms have been refurbished and although some may be slightly dated, the majority of reviewers say how clean our rooms are. I am looking into this with my housekeeping department. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise from the pool area and we are addressing this so as not to disturb our guests in that part of the hotel.

I do hope one day to welcome you back to the Norfolk where your expectations will be met.

Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I spent all of about 15 minutes in this hotel and had to leave because it was giving me a headache!

How this hotel is classed as 4 star is really beyond me.
The decor needs a serious upgrade, it looks tired and very dated. I would say it either resembled an old people's home for a late 80s early 90s 2/3 star hotel.

The floorboards on the ground floor creek like nobody's business, the table I sat at was dirty andnhad ring marks from glasses on, it was also slightly dusty. I was not acknowledged at the bar, being the only person at the bar there is no excuse for that!

Some ofnthe chairs in the lounge area had some serious damage to the 'leather'.
On looking in the restaurant, it resembled a cafe the way it was set out, if I was staying at a 4 star hotel I would expect a higher standard.

My colleague who attended a course here on the same day said the room they where in had party popper reminents on the floor. Did someome through a party with party poppers on a Monday night (the day before) or was this left from the weekend.

I looked at the bar menu and nearly passed out when I saw the prices, they are ridiculously high and completely unnecessarily high for what was on offer.

And what is with the £13 PER DAY charge to park in the hotels car park as a GUEST, really? That is ludicrous.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChazDL
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked a two night stay in this hotel after seeing an advertisement for a gold voucher just before Christmas. I knew the hotel having had lunch there many years ago although I had never stayed there. The gold voucher seemed good value for a 4 star hotel offering an Executive room and dinner for two nights. My wife and I decided to stay for 2 nights in May en route to Cornwall. It was not until after I had purchased the gold voucher that I read the mixed reviews for this hotel and I now understand the reason for them. There are certainly some issues which need to be addressed. There was no problem with the room which was clean and was what we expected and the staff were pleasant and helpful but our main complaint was with the food which was not of 4 star standard. I am afraid that the restaurant let the rest of the hotel down. When we arrived we were told that there was no table available until 8.15 pm which was later than we wanted to eat but we reluctantly accepted this. The gold voucher covered the 3 course dinner menu although the a la carte menu was available for a supplement. The restaurant was crowded and whilst we were waiting to be seated I noticed from the table reservation list that everyone else appeared to be dining with gold vouchers ( I mention this because it later became apparent to me that the food was of poor standard and I wonder whether the menu had been tailored to take into account the special offer ) The first thing that struck me was the absence of tablecloths in the restaurant which lacked ambiance. In fact I could have been sitting in my local pub. We were therefore disinclined to order from other than the set menu in this canteen like setting. Our meals were very disappointing. For instance, I ordered soup and requested a soft roll and was brought two slices of white sliced bread. My wife and I both ordered chicken which was tasteless. On the second night the menu was similar and I ordered lamb steak. It was inedible and I had to send it back. I was offered an alternative and chose fish and chips which again were disappointing. The breakfast was a buffet self service with pre-cooked food and no waitress service apart from the tea or coffee brought to the table. You even had to make your own toast. I expected far more from a 4 star hotel--I have had better breakfasts and service in lower graded hotels and B&B's.
There were unfortunately on or two other issues. We had booked the underground car park at a cost of £26 and when we drove up to the hotel there was nowhere to park to unload our car as the hotel have reserved signs on both sides of their forecourt and there was already a car unloading outside the front entrance. I waited behind this car whilst my wife went into the reception area to queue until she was able to find someone to carry our case and be given directions to the underground car park and the code to open the gate. The gate entrance is very narrow and care is needed if you have a wide car.
Our room was very hot and there was no air conditioning. The reception staff offered us a fan which arrived shortly afterwards and after we left the room and returned later there was a second fan. I cannot fault the willingness of the staff to help but this really was no solution.
The hotel is ideally placed in the centre of Bournemouth but otherwise there is nothing to recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David M
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear David M

Thank you for your review following your very disappointing stay with us.

Firstly, I am pleased that your room met your expectations, and that you found the staff here pleasant and helpful. Your main issues revolve around the standard of our food offering and I can only apologise for our shortfalls and assure you I am looking into this.

I am sorry you had difficulty with the car parking situation, being held up by a car unloading and your wife having to queue at check in.

The hotel became a listed building in 1974 and due to strict regulations we are not able to install air conditioning. I'm pleased our reception staff were able to assist with two fans.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves, and should you decide to return , please do contact me personally.