“David Brisco MBE”

Norfolk Royale Hotel
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights for.a.conference 8-10 July '14. No hot water to guest bedrooms for 2 days following basement flooding (bad storm) had knocked gas supply off. Only informed of problems via letter on final night. We were advised to use a kettle or get a taxi to their sister hotel 5 mins away- at their cost of course.
This didn't bother me the most. No wifi, tatty and dirty rooms, flaking paint on bath, trouser press not working, frayed wiring on iron flex.
Then we have the common areas. Never a time when tables were not clear of dirty cups, plates, glasses and screwed up napkins. Barstaff seemed more preoccupied cutting lemons and fruit for Pimms than getting the place shipshape for their guests.
On departure, I paid my barbill and wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my visit. I didn't pay the outragous £39 for car parking in their underground prison, though other guests were charged full whack for the privilege.
A 4 star Victorian hotel? Awful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David B
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Mr Briscoe

Due to a sudden downpour in Bournemouth on the 8th July which flooded many areas in the town and the basement area of the hotel, which in turn cut off our gas supply affecting our hot water supply, this was not an issue until the tanks emptied on the 9th July, all guests were informed by letter explaining the situation and that it was beyond our control, we would as stated in the letter booked people out to other hotels should they not wish to stay with us but unfortunately as Bournemouth was full this option was not available, we arranged with Meyrick park that all our guests could use their facilities at no charge with transport supplied by ourselves but kettles were available in all rooms should guests be happy to fill the basin for hands and face washing. We were hoping that this would all be fixed and back in full working order as soon as possible, we updated guests further by letter that due to circumstances beyond our control the water would be off for a further day, the situation was rectified over night on the 9th July providing all guests with hot water by the morning of the 10th July. We have had numerous of comments from guests complimenting us on how well it was handled in such difficult circumstances they were out of our control.

The majority of rooms here have wi fi although there's still a few with cable connection. We're working on this with our IT department. I am sorry that your room was not up to the standard you would expect and will be looking into this with the maintenance team.

I'm particularly concerned that you experienced inattentive bar staff. The majority of reviewers compliment the staff on their professionalism and friendliness and their willingness to go that extra mile. Please do accept my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

The car park is not owned by the hotel therefore there is a charge of £13.00 per 24hours. I am very sorry that you feel this is outrageous, but can assure you that this is no more expensive than the local NCP car parks.

Rachel Painter-Scott

Write a ReviewReviews (2,111)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Two days of discomfort in this appalling hotel!

Despite advertising itself as a 4 Star hotel this appallingly maintained pile was utterly disappointing.

COLD SHOWERS - we stayed 2 nights and the "boiler had failed" so there was no hot water.

No wifi in rooms - despite the advertised claims there was no wifi in our rooms

Broken lift - the lift that served our wing was (according to a staff member) permanently broken. So you has to get the lift to the third floor using the lift in the other wing and walk for miles

Dusty - a simple finger test revealed dust throughout my room

Cracked toilet bowl - no doubt festering germs

Cleanliness - during my 1st cold shower I found pubic hairs plastered to the cubicle wall

Ancient decor - the decor other than in the foyer and lounge was decidedly outdated and peeling

TV channels - half the TV channels the huge but clunky and hard to operate telly advertised either did not work or were audio only

Staff - I found this most disappointing - the reception staff were curt, discourteous and unprofessional - particularly the one who dismissed all of our disappointed enquiries but ended every sentence by referring to us as sweetheart or my darling.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank A P
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear A P

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort you experiences during your recent stay with us, due to a sudden downpour in Bournemouth on the 8th July which flooded many areas in the town and the basement area of the hotel, which in turn cut off our gas supply affecting our hot water supply, this was not an issue until the tanks emptied on the 9th July, all guests were informed by letter explaining the situation and that it was beyond our control, we would as stated in the letter booked people out to other hotels should they not wish to stay with us but unfortunately as Bournemouth was full this option was not available, we arranged with Meyrick park that all our guests could use their facilities at no charge with transport supplied by ourselves but kettles were available in all rooms should guests be happy to fill the basin for hands and face washing. We were hoping that this would all be fixed and back in full working order as soon as possible, we updated guests further by letter that due to circumstances beyond our control the water would be off for a further day, the situation was rectified over night on the 9th July providing all guests with hot water by the morning of the 10th July.

Please accept my apologies for the poor cleanliness of your room , this has been followed up with the housekeeping team to ensure our high standards are being maintained. There's still a few rooms with the old TV's and we're updating those as quickly as we can.

The Wing lift unfortunately is out of order, we are currently waiting on a part and the lift engineers to fix this, the lift is out of service as there could be a risk of people getting stuck in it which we do not want to take, it is not permanently broken just at this time.

I'm particularly concerned that you experienced curt staff, discourteous and unprofessional staff on the desk, these issues will be taken up with the staff in question. The majority of reviewers compliment the staff on their professionalism and friendliness and their willingness to go that extra mile. Please do accept my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

We would like to offer for you to come back to the hotel now everything is in full working order and see the changes we have made, please contact me directly to arrange this.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Not a comfortable stay. The rooms are dated but the key problem is noise from traffic, room doors that have no closing mechanism on them so they slam, creaky floorboards and noisy staff. There is no air con so the rooms are stifling in the heat and the bed was rock hard. On the last morning there was no hot water which was a real nuisance. Breakfast was ok although limited. Drinks in the bar were extortionately expensive. Staff pleasant and let down by a hotel much in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Norfolk_GM, General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Avid traveller 57

I am very sorry you had an uncomfortable stay with us recently, there is an ongoing refurbishment programme in the hotel, as you can appreciate this can take a length time. I have spoken with maintenance team who will be checking all door closers to ensure they are in full working order. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in the bedrooms of the hotel but fans can be supplied should guests require them. Thank you for letting us know the bed was rock hard, we will get this rectified immediately.

Due to severe unexpected severe weather in Bournemouth that caused flooding in many parts of the town and the basement area of our hotel, this unfortunately caused issues in the boiler room and the gas supply was cut off, this was back in full working order as soon as possible.

I am sorry you found breakfast limited, we do offer:

On the Hot Buffet - Bacon, Sausages, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Black pudding, Hash Browns, Fried Eggs, Scrambled Eggs, and Beans.

On the Cold Buffet - Melon, Pineapple, Prunes, Apricots, Continental Cheese Portions and Natural Yoghurt

In addition to the above we also have available Brown, White and Wholemeal Toast, Pain au Chocolate, Croissants, Assorted Danish, Crusty Rolls and Six Cereal Choices,

And available from the kitchen on request is Smoked Haddock, Kippers, Poached Eggs and Porridge but will re look at our selection to see if there is anything further we can add.

Thank you once again for your comments

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Our first bedroom was very noisy.It was above the kitchen with a noisy extractor fan which ran all night.The following morning, on request, we moved to a much better room. Overall food was good in restaurant & bar

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Geoffrey D

Dear Geoffrey D

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry that you were disturbed on your first night by an extraction fan, I have requested my maintenance team look into this issue, I am glad we were able to change your room to rectify this for you whilst you were staying. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant and bar, our chefs do pride themselves on the food they produce for our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went to this hotel after finding a good deal on their website 2 nights bbd for 2 £296 and we like Bournemouth and the weather was lovely the room was a good size and very clean just a bit bland in colour but that is just my taste, both nights the dinner was faultless we choose from the set menu which had 4or 5 choices on each course we managed all 3 courses and they we imaginative a very tasty and beautifully presented the staff were very good and the service was quick without feeling rushed the wine list was good and not overly priced.Just one point to offer a steak knife with red meat dishes just to make it easier to cut not that it was chewy just easier to cut.
After diner we sat in the garden which was like a little oasis and had coffee and brandy the bar staff were good and we watched world cup and got 20% off drinks bill ! . The breakfast was nice the sausages were a bit herby for my own taste first thing in the morning but it was all hot and freshly cooked the large mushrooms are very tasty.Overall a great few days thankyou all .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunshinesue66

Dear Sunshinesue66

Many thanks for your review.

I'm pleased to read that you had a great two night stay with us and found the staff efficient, the food faultless, and the gardens relaxing.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our third and last visit to the Norfolk Royale Hotel.
See my previous review from July 2011.
Most of what I reported then is still the same. We did have a much better room this time, which was comfortable and overlooked the swimming pool. There was a constant drone from what I presume is the air condition unit to the pool.
Firstly I would like to praise the staff on reception who went out of their way to arrange additional accommodation for our daughter and grandson who decided to accompany us at the last moment.
Overall the hotel is pleasant enough, but the service in the restaurant was abysmal.
It would appear that the restaurant is understaffed and that some of the waiters are under trained.
On our first night we were shown to our table at 19.45 as arranged. We were not informed what the soup of the day was and when we asked the waiter he said didn't know and had to go and ask. We waited approximately 20 minutes for the first course. We ordered banana split for our grandson and Baily's cheesecake for my wife only to be told that they were not available. No one asked if we would like coffee after our meal, so we didn't bother, preferring to make a cup in our room (lost revenue). We left the table at 22.00 and took a cup from our room to our daughters room so that we could all have drink. I forgot to take the cup back to our room. The following day the maid washed 2 cups but left the third one dirty.
On the second evening we were shown a child's menu which was available but not offered to us the previous evening.
The buffet breakfasts were a bit manic with a regular shortage of food and plates and a build up of waiting guests. On the second morning I waited 7 minutes for fried eggs (two other guests gave up and settled for scrambled eggs). I eventually went to reception with my plate in hand and asked the manager to come into the restaurant and wait with me. We then waited for approximately another minute before the eggs eventually arrived. I asked the manager if he thought this was acceptable and he conceded that it wasn't and that they were trying to improve things.
On the third evening we were shown to our table. The set menu was the same as the first night. Again after a lengthy wait my daughter complained that other guest who had arrived after us were being served.
During my meal I discovered a rubber band in my food. I complained to the restaurant manager who apologised and he then queried this with the chef. The restaurant manager told me that the chef thought that this must have come from the bands that tie the asparagus together and he apologised and provided another meal. We photographed and insisted on keeping the rubber band.
We asked the waitress for additional bread rolls. She brought additional butter but the rolls never arrived.
When we came to settle the bill the assistant manager, as a gesture, deducted approximately £18.00 off the bill, this being the additional extra cost for choosing two meals which were not on the set menu. We also queried a £20+ drinks charge which was on my daughters bill and which she hadn't had as she never went to the bar. The manager apologised and the charge was duly refunded.
Do we like the hotel - yes - but not with service like this.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are the quietist.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank G04it
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Yes, the first room was not nice so we were cheerfully moved by Darren. The food was good and the atmosphere friendly. I was disappointed by the rowdiness of some guests and not happy with the bags of rubbish left outside in the corridor consisting of takeaway food packaging. There were also bags of dirty nappies. Not good but not really the fault of the staff.
Paul, the dep GM, was a star. He smiled and smiled all day and night. He could not have been more helpful and kind to everybody. Bar staff good. Lovely garden. free WiFi.
Had breakfast with the Red Arrows.... how do they do it on such full stomachs?

Room Tip: Back rooms if poss Ground floor to avoid the shaky lift
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple