“Fabulous Easter”

Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Easter”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had stayed at the New Westcliff Hotel once before in spring 2012 so I knew what to expect; and I was not disappointed at all. I had called ahead to let the Reception know I was going to be a late arrival (and I know from bitter experience at some other hotels I've been to, that it can sometimes be a problem if one arrives after 9pm; I had no such problems with the Reception Desk and was informed there's be absolutely no problem if I was delayed. As it turned out, I arrived earlier than anticipated and was greeted by a warm friendly member of the staff; most of the team at the New Westcliff are able to perform any of the services and so I had no delay getting checked in and quickly had my card-key and was off to my room.
The room itself was very clean & tidy, it was nicely presented with towels and soap layer on the bed for me to then use as and when I required. Although I was in a double room as a single occupant there were still 2 sets of towels - I always think this is a nice touch because I might find I want to use towels twice during a day! I was in time to have dinner in the restaurant, although I did have to get there quickly before it took last orders. The food was delicious, very well cooked and nicely presented; the staff were warm & friendly, and I enjoyed some pleasant conversation with other guests at the tables around mine.
The hotel has a great location with an easy walk to the beachfront (it's all down hill, so be careful!; the walk back has to be taken at a steady easy pace though!); in the hotel there's a heated indoor swimming pool, a small cinema with nightly screenings, and comfortable (well stocked) bar and lounge area. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and I shall certainly be visiting again. The owners, the staff and the other guests were all very pleasant company and I felt at ease throughout my entire Easter weekend visit.
If you want a good quality hotel, with excellent food, a pleasant atmosphere and friendly welcome that's located in the central area of Bournemouth I can thoroughly recommend the New Westcliff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
We look forward to seeing you again Paul and many thanks for your "Fabulous Easter" review.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I arrived there on the Friday 25th of April, went to the reception in which they knew me and so they knew which bedroom key was needed, they told where to go for the room and that was excellent. In the bedroom it was clean and tidy, it was warm and spacious.
The event for the weekend was very good for me and probably for all of the people that was there, the staff there are very nice and efficent, in my opinion they made everybody in the event welcome. The food is good, they served a varied menu for everybody and they knew that one of the customers there could not eat food with gluten content so they went out and got all of the food for this customers needs.
I will be going back there in September for the next event and will also be going back in April next year. So I need to say Thank you very much for all of the staff that was very good for a person that is a little bit different and also to the person that created the event called Danielle.

Room Tip: all rooms were good
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Many thanks for your superb review and delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us.

Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Glum, unprofessional staff spoilt the mood. A real shame as hotel is great location and basically comfortable ...,........................................................................................... Perhaps they hired temp staff to cover Easter break. Reception particularly bad customer service - he wouldnt have been out of place in Fawlty Towers

• Stayed April 2014
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello Sheela, Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the staff. We pride ourselves in our customer service and care as its important to us to offer a home away from home feel to all our customers. Most of our staff has been working with us for years as we do not encourage temp staff to avoid such problems however I can assure you that I am investigating what happened over Easter for you to encounter such bad experience with the staff manners.

Maybe if you are interested you could contact me direct and we can discuss matters further.

Redruth
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here a while ago and had a very pleasant stay, and thought we would come again. On check in we were met by the very welcoming receptionist who recognised us from our last visit which was very hospitable.

There have been more improvements since our last visit, and they are obviously spending a lot of money on the hotel.

Food, as always was excellent and we really enjoyed the evening entertainment. We even had the entire leisure facilities to ourselves during our early morning swim!

If you want a friendly, relaxed service with excellent facilities then I can't recommend the New Westcliff enough. We have already booked our next stay and can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask to see the Branch Suite. Best room in the house!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill S
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Many thanks for the 5 star review Bill and we look forward to seeing you again.

maidstone
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here last year and this hotel still represents good value for money. The food is excellent quality and service efficient if not always cheery. Choice perhaps could be a bit better. The only downside was the removal of the "happy hour" in the bar. In my opinion this is a retro step because guests using the bar whilst we were there was minimal. Apart from that all was much the same.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments and we are looking into the happy hour and what we can do.

Kind regards
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very run down and the room I stayed in was quite poor. Mattress was stained with blood and urine, could feel every spring in the bed. Food is good although some catering staff have poor attitudes. Quite a lot of mould and desperately needs replacing carpeting. There is entertainment on and is OK.. Cinema suite isn't worth bothering with. Pool is tiny jacuzzi is good. In general not the worst. But shop around.. Much better hotels in the area for the same money or less.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Reviewman2013
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Sorry you did not enjoy our newly built 18 seat cinema or the choice of over 200 films neither did you enjoy our Leisure Facilities apart from the Jacuzzi. All our mattresses are brand new and orthopedic memory foam mattress so do not really understand where the springs come from but will investigate it and look into it.

tonbridge kent
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Attended a concert at the BIC and booked an overnight stay at the New Westcliffe Hotel. Large car park was a bonus. Check in efficient although the reception area is tiny and the receptionist sits in the back office. All staff we met were charming and friendly. Room was very compact and tired looking but well equipped and clean and comfortable. Five minute walk to seafront but did get a taxi back as a steep hill and high heels were never going to work! Nice breakfast perfectly adequate for the very fair price we paid. Common areas appeared well worn but clean. Didn't try the pool but it looked fine. Considering the number of hotels in the Bournemouth area our google pick proved good enough but personally would not consider more then a night at this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at New Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you Rob and Sue for your comments. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcome you back to see our progress with the updating of the hotel.