“Comfortable , well situated and good value for money.”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Typical hotel mixture of style , combining two properties with interconnecting corridor and separate lifts. However for a short weekend, it was a good place to stay , very good service for buffet breakfast , good value for money , very large room for a family of 4. A short taxi ride from the train station , walking distance to beach , near lovely chine garden. Extremely clean but some signs of damp hidden behind curtains. Despite large windows, economy very small opening, so in the summer , rooms must be very hot - however some rooms have terraces . No frills hotel but very good value . Pool was available and good size, happy with children : ball room, swimming pool, table tennis , garden outside.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2011

We've just returned from a 4night mid-week break here. I booked the hotel after finding the rate on booking.com of £45 per room per night for a double.

Good points:

The staff. I cannot praise the staff enough for their cheerful attitude and attentiveness. I emailed reception prior to arrival and received helpful prompt replies, and the majority of the staff throughout our stay were genuinely friendly, and all were thorough in their role.

The location: Just a 3 min stroll to the end of the road brings you out at the top of the Chine. From then it's a ten min walk downhill to Boscombe Pier and beach front. Stunning. And from there, a 20 min walk down the prom to Bournemouth.

The room size: Our room had a king sized bed, and our travel cot. There was a huge amount of space for our dog and daughter to waddle around in, plus to store the buggy and general gear that comes with travelling with a dog and baby daughter.

Breakfast: Typical hotel style breakfast of self service continental style..followed by a served full english or options from the menu. Poached haddock for me...and it was perfect. Huge brekkie..perfect for the hungrier among you.

Dog friendly: Our pooch was more than welcome, and there is a good sized garden to let him out in before bed time. Make sure you get the freebie advertised dog food though, as we forgot, and £7.50per night for pooch is not cheap.

BAD POINTS:

Our room, although large, was very shabby. Bath panel hanging off, stains on carpets, very poor decoration etc. I was disappointed as the room certainly didn't reflect the high standard I'd seen throughout the rest of the hotel.

Chef cannot cook a runny egg. We had 8 throughout our stay and not one was runny.

The bar food is not value for money. We ate here twice purely due to constraints of having young daughter with us, and all our meals were average in quality. Definitely not worth the £8.50 for a club sandwich which came with cold egg mayonnaise on rather than a fried egg. Small details you may think, but hubby doesn't eat cold egg so this ruined his meal. Maybe our fault for not returning the meal, but we're wary of returning food and getting a replacement with a few added extras...if you catch my drift...

To sum up our holiday, we had a well located hotel with friendly service, for a budget price. We won't be returning though, as I would prefer to stay in a room a little less like an old battle weary travel lodge.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Whilst I am not used to residing in the Dorchester on a regular basis, I would agree with the other reviews on here. For a single room, it was clean but very tired. The shower head was so clogged with limescale that the only water which managed to escape was through a side hole...making showering impossible. The toilet flush was next to useless. The toiletries were pretty grim too. I had forgotten my toothepaste, sadly they didn't have a spare tube...until I saw several in their display cabinet the next morning.

The cooked breakfast was excellent: fresh, hot and good quality. Think they should really serve tea/coffee to the table though.

Generally the staff were pleasant if a little rushed off their feet.

Nice to have a hairdryer and iron in the room, albeit from the 60's. For the reduced price it was fine - but I wouldn't stay here for anything other than the location, cooked breakfast and a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We arrived for a "romantic relaxing" dance weekend!

Friday evening Dinner: the parsnips were burnt such that my wife couldn't cut them but also they were cold, as was the plaice, with a limited and inappropriate selection of vegetables to go with plaice.
Breakfast was not only completely self service (tea, coffee, toast, butter, condiments, juice, fruit, cereals, everything,) but you were also asked to clear your first course plates and cutlery onto the clearing tray on a separate table before taking your second course! (This is SERVICE ForestDale Hotels style. And also a first for me from anything from being at home to a B&B!!)
The room was excellently cleaned, However: the room was dark and one light was missing a bulb. This was not repaired 24 hours after it was reported.
From about 3 am to 6 am each night a motor which sounded as if it was a fan motor started, ran for 4 seconds, stopped for 4 seconds. and then repeated this start stop routine. It would be more sleep inducing if it just ran, or stopped, but this series of start stop sounds was horrible. (It might be like a flickering neon light to an epileptic!)
Having complained about the burnt cold food on the Friday night, on the Saturday night we were served first and the food was excellent. I hope the other guests served last were as pleased.
The pool was adequate and excellent. However, the gents changing room had broken seats, broken clothes hooks, and lockers without locks! The shower area was unlit and therefore it was impossible to read the temperature and tap signs on the controls. The pool towels were however were very lush.
The room we had was quite large, but it was hot and the radiotor valve could not be moved open or shut. It was seized.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Seems to me some of the bad reviews of this hotel here are unwarranted or OTT.We only stayed 1 night but for £35 PP we thought it pretty good value.It was clean & comfortable.The pool was fine & we didn't find it or the changing room dirty.The breakfast was fab - the best thing.Only 2 complaints - in the room it said the pool was open til 10pm.We had been out & planned to take a dip when we got back.But on our return were told it closed at 8pm on sundays & the receptionist tried to argue that that info was in the rooms whe nit definately wasn't.She could have done with some coaching on how to smile. Also there was no hairdryer in the room when the ad had said all rooms have this.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Pelly123
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Having read some of the reviews I feel this hotel has been given a raw deal by some of the guests, who must often reside at The Dorchester or The Ritz due to their expectations!! The hotel is fine, not amazing but not awful. Our room was a twin room, not massive but it suited us 2 girls and our things fine (even after our shopping trip on Saturday). The bathroom and bedroom were clean and fine. The beds were comfortable, but saying that I can sleep anywhere generally. However, we made friends with 2 guys who were in a Superior room - that was lovely... their room was huge, nicer carpets and their bathroom was much nicer than ours and they had a larger TV in the bedroom. But we didn't come to Bournemouth to spend the entire time in the room, we simply wanted a place to stay. The breakfast was standard, however I seemed to confuse them when I asked for a fried egg with runny yolk, but it was still very enjoyable. We did try the swimming pool and would advise against it. It was not warm and the changing room smelled awful... we nicknamed it the Germ Pool. But again, we didnt go to Bournemouth to go swimming - we can do that at home. We chose this hotel as it was £160 for 2 nights, which seemed a reasonable deal. All in all, it was a nice hotel and if I needed somewhere to stay again, I would come back here, unless I were to find somewhere offering a better deal.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank LauraWalker28
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and we were surprised.. it is very dated but the rooms are massive. The shower was good although it looked older than me (26)... it was clean but needed a complete overhall as things made it look dirty like the grout in the bathroom and the decor.
The breakfast was really quite nice - nothing amazing but def not bad which people seem to have suggested - maybe we were lucky.
The bar is nice to relax although always seemed to be busy so not always able to get a seat.
We never got round to swimming but the pool looked good.
The location was lovely.
The negatives were the dated look and feel the heat in the bedrooms and to be honest the cost... I thought it was v expensive for what it was but others in the group didnt so maybe I am just a bit tight. The dinner menu was totally over prices £6.50 for a bowl of soup - I never paid that in my 3 years in London.
Overall I wouldnt go back in a hurry but at the same time I wouldnt have a problem if I didnt end up back there.
PS. We found the staff very helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple