“Much better than expected”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #61 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just returned from The Carrington,I was amazed at the clean spacious room,friendly staff and an excellent breakfast,I have no complaints about this hotel,I cant believe it has so many negative comments about it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sandrajanehopgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I booked a room 2 weeks in advanced and asked for any early check in - the receptionist on the phone said our room would be available from about 1.00pm we arrived at 1.15 and our room was not available - as we were going to a wedding I had to leave my luggage in reception along with my handbag with purse credit cards and and valuables in, i told the recptionist this and they said it would be in our room on return - we got back from the wedding at about 1.30 in the morning and our luggage was not in our room - my husband went down stairs and was able to walk in private staff offices were my bag and luggage was left for anyone to take - no one stopped or asked him what he was doing as there was no staff around, in the morning i explained the situation to the receptionist and told her how dissappointed I was that my personal belongings could have been taken by anyone and her reply was ' well dont worry as we have CCTV so we would have seen who had taken them!!!' unbelievable!! I will be writing to the manager to express my views - about the hotel generally......it does need updating, the shower in our room was very poor and trickled with water, the hotel is clean and the waiting staff in the breakfast room were very kind and polite, however I dont think we shall stay here again, we have stayed here on several occassions in the past and I feel the standards have slipped quite alot.

Room Tip: some double rooms are larger than others so it might be a good idea to ask if it is a large double r...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chocolatenorthy
felixstowe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

just got back from the carrington the food was very good, the staff in general ranged from not really with it to plain incompetant . ok it was a groupon deal £99 for 2 days b&b for the wife& me so value for money it was good,however if it was £99 per day i would have felt as if i had been turned over, and by the way if you do go there just do not accept room 87 ,we had the big fan near our window , kicking in every hour of the night i also think the kitchen was just below us & with no air conditioning it was damn hot to put it very mildly, would we go there again?not without a groupon voucer.

Room Tip: make sure you have a room on the 3rd floor away from the kitchen &electric fans
1 Thank graham c

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Burnham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I wished I had read the reviews before booking as it really was bad. The manager was of no help when we complained. The lift wasn't working, we're a family of 3 and I have had a back operation 12 weeks ago. We weren't told of this at the time of booking that it was out of order for over 2 weeks. We couldn't get a meal after 9pm as that was their cut-off time even when I explained to the manager that we had been advised by staff that we could. My child who is 3 fell asleep with no dinner. If the shower had been of good working order, we could probably have made it in time. The furniture was grotty and the beds were stained as were the the lampshades. In the lounge area, I nearly fell through the sofa as there was no padding, not good for a bad back. My husband had to clear the table full of spilled drinks and I even mentioned this to the manager and still nobody came to clean it up. Our room was also very hot making it hard to sleep. That is just for starters, I won't carry on as you can guess it wasn't a pleasant experience and marred our stay in Bournemouth. On the plus side, most of the staff were very pleasant apart from the lady who kept trying to take our food away at breakfast while we were still eating, oh and the the crockery was dirty and cutlery was sticky. if we had only paid £50 or so, I would understand the service, but we paid £109 for one night...shocking isn't it? We stayed at other hotels for less and received excellent standards of service.

Room Tip: Ask if the lift works, how good the shower is and generally just read the reviews. People don't...
1 Thank Bhupinder P
St Albans Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I think I went to a different hotel than some of these people. Our room was spotlessly clean and tidy, and had everything we needed, including two hairdryers and an iron/ironing board. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly, and the food was very good. Admittedly breakfast was a bit busy, but we were in a coach party and all arrived at once so most hotels would be hard-pushed to cope. There was plenty of everything and lots of choice - you just had to queue for a while to get it. The next day we knew where everything was, so we knew the system and it was much more organised. Didn't bother me but some people in our group could have done with a lift. All in all a very nice stay with beautiful weather. You get what you pay for and this hotel was excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Booked through Groupon for a two night stay for £99 After a two hour drive we arrived at the hotel at 4.30 to check in. We were given our key and made our way through the meandering corridors only to open a room which was occupied luckily the occupants were not in the room but all their belongings were, we made our way back to the young girl at reception who apologised as she thought the room was empty checking her computer she could not find another room available for us there was a lot of discussion between her and another member of staff and running around checking to see what they could offer us they discussed our predicament as if I was not standing in front of them one solution was to wait for the occupants to return from their coach tour(but they didn't know what time they would return) and move them to another room so that we could have the room I thought they must be joking by this time my patience had run out I asked to be moved to another hotel . 45 minutes after arriving we were found a double room from here on the stay was good, yes the hotel is in need of a serious update but our room was clean the shower had a good pressure Breakfast was included in the price and was very good the staff were under pressure as they had large coach parties to cater for but were polite, in the evening we ate in the restaurant and we're pleasantly surprised with the food plenty and tasty.
For the price we paid 2 nights with breakfast it was okay would I choose to
stay there again No

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Eli11111
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Was a little worried about booking this hotel after reading some of the reviews but due to travelling to Bournemouth during the air show weekend, had little choice. Yes, the rooms are dated and could do with a bit of re-decorating, but ours was very clean and well serviced. The food at breakfast was of a good quality, well cooked and there was an adequate selection of dishes. All the staff we came into contact with both at the front desk and in the restaurant were friendly and helpful. We probably should have been pre-warned that the lift wasn't working, as it could have been a problem had we been disabled or elderly, but luckily my son and I were able to climb the stairs to the third floor! Overall, it was good value for money but don't expect the Ritz!