“weekend break”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #61 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 14 October 2013

this was our second stay at this hotel,room was clean,breakfast was great,staff were helpful and friendly.read trip advisor comments i dont know what some people expect yes the rooms could do with a lick of paint but as long as they are clean thats what maters realy enjoyed our stay and have booked again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brian g
Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The list of complaints I can think of could quite easily fill the Encyclopedia Brittanica of the hospitality list of no-no's.

(1) The housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired. Despite numerous complaints - 'issues' arise. This includes waiting an hour for staff to help - then 3 failed calls to reception - waiting nearly 10 minutes.

(2) Management unconcerned about complaints - and don't help at the bar when staff overwhelmed.

(3) Bed linen either thread-bare - or had cigarette-type burn marks.

(4) The TV's aren't fully functional - not all the channels are available.

(5) Asked the receptionist(s) for head office contact info. - but played ignorant - I had to look them up online.

(6) Men's room near reception - part of roof had given way - electrical wires hanging loose.

(7) Floorboards creak - doors can only close with severe thud - the lift often malfunctions.

Heed my advice - avoid like the plague!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DNKOK
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Booked 2 rooms, they were on the first floor. Both were very shabby but one was very damp, very smelly and actually a health hazard. The staff moved the guests in this room to an alternative which was much better but still very tired with wallpaper coming unstuck etc..

The public areas downstairs were comfortable and spacious and the breakfast was OK. The Hotel was reasonably priced and we only needed a place to sleep but I would never stay here again for while it appears some rooms may be just about acceptable it is obviously a lottery as which room you are put in.

Room Tip: View the room before you pay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve046
Reviewed 11 October 2013

my husband and i with 3 men friends were booked at this hotel at the begining of october for 2 nights b&b and a gala dinner for a reunion with veterans of the airborne forces .we booked 1 double and 3 singles ,when we arrived we waited in a queue for 30 mins there was 2 staff on reception 1 experience 1 trainee .we were given room 43 .the ceiling paper was hanging off, the wallpaper was comming away from the walls, the curtains were torn almost to shreds,there was not a wardrobe ,i had to clean the dirty toilet to use it .because i could not wait .i did not go back to reception immediatley because of the long queue that went on for hours .eventually they were to send some one to take a look ,we waited no-one came .time was getting on so we decided to stay the night .there was only 1 towel between us ,then we dicovered that the toilet was leaking .the next morning they said they would find us another room .they did not .we went to have a look at our friends rooms and could not believe they all had double rooms of quite good quality .we all paid the same price .we were stuck in a disgusting single room .when we were leaving the next day ,we were given a measley £14.00 back ,we had paid £280.00 for that squalor . do not go there .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank elsie186402
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I wish I had read these reviews before I booked this hotel. I have stayed here on a couple of occasions in the past when it was owned by Forestdale Hotels so was completely shocked to fin it had changed hands. One is still able to book it on the Forestdale site!! Our first disaster was getting stuck in the lift and despite ringing the alarm bell several times,. no-one came to help. Daughter eventually manafged to prise open the doors with super-human strength. Reported it at the reception desk whose inane comment was "did you press the bell/" Everyone else in the building must have heard it"!!
Another family got stuck in the lift before anyone managed to put an "Out of Order" notice on it.
The bar was managed by one overworked young woman. On the first night the bar had run out of San Miguel, Merlot and mineral water. The second night they had also run out of larger and lemonade.
The bedrooms had bulging wallpaper, burnt lampshades, torn curtains hanging off the rail and dirty carpets. The wet towels that were put into the bath for changing were carefully folded and hug up again damp. I could tell they had not been changed because they still had the dirty marks I had put on them as a test.
I could go on...
The hotel had a large coach party staying who complained that there was no entertainment and so produced their own barrack room songs.

Meals from the buffet were in general tepid and were served without grace. One waiter actually asked me if I needed a knife and fork to eat my soup. I told him a spoon would be nice and he produced one of tablespoon proportions.
I hope Britannia Hotels read these reviews so that they can put the problems right. The Restaurant Manager needs to train his staff to not lean over diners to reach dirty plates, but to go round the table. to collect them from each diner. This might have avoided dirty cutlery being dropped into one of our laps with just a mumbled apology. The Housekeeper needs to train her staff on how to clean a room so nothing is forgotten too like washing the saucer as well as the cup. Emptying waste bins and vacuuming. each day.
As well as the coach party, there seemed to be a great many contractors staying in the hotel. Perhaps it is just an hostel now. Perhaps they are running it down prior to selling it off for development.
Forestdale staff that remain there are all charming and are doing the best they can. They probably remember the good old days.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgeY124
Reviewed 7 October 2013

On the day of my stay (which I'd booked months in advance for 2 nights) I received a call from Carrington House telling me they had no rooms available for me in the hotel and they'd moved my booking to another hotel (the Royal Bath) owned by Britannia. When I said its very short notice to be telling me this, the woman I was speaking to (who it later turned out was a manager) said "If you look on our website, it says in the small print that we are allowed to move your bookings between Britannia hotels". How's that for customer service?

At this point I was already on my way from the other side of the country and they'd left it so late to tell me this I couldn't arrange an alternative, so I just went along with it. However after looking into it more I realised that the alternative hotel charged £40 for 2 nights of parking, and I'd specifically booked Carrington House because it advertised free parking.

Carrington House told me it was Britannia Head office's fault and basically fobbed me off with a head office number that didn't work. When I rang them back they said I should ring the alternative hotel and refused to accept any blame or do the reasonable thing and cover the cost of my parking at the new hotel. I rang the Royal Bath and they too refused to accept any blame and gave me a head office number that didn't work. I eventually got through to a so called "customer services" number for Britannia (after more calls back and forth including one where I received a complete lack of empathy or customer care from a manager at Carrington House). Even the customer services line refused to help and said that I would need to make a complaint in writing and it will "usually" be dealt with within 28 days.

So basically, not only have I just been inconvenienced by having my booking drastically changed on the day of my stay, I've also had to pay extra! Daylight robbery. Terrible customer service. Do not trust this company.

Room Tip: Book a room with someone else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MG_S84
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Arrived Friday afternoon, nowhere to park,,so many people waiting to check in,, took us 45mins to get to reception desk,,,sad as lots of us had travelled a long distance,,everywhere you looked seemed very run down,,dirty carpets,,some seating in lounge areas fraying,,public loos ,smell unpleasant. our room large but very basic,,no folder re information on breakfast times etc,,wall paper peeling off walls,tea/coffee not replenished during our stay,
The lack of staff was mad,,for a hotel of its size and amount of people just in our group (150) ,very poor todo, never anyone around when you needed them,,
Would not class as a 3 star more like a no star.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends